Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 13:33
Honoured to be here

Plan: atkins
Stats: 302/263/210 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Nuts

ok guys, a daft question really, how good / bad are nuts on atkins..

reason for the question is that of late work and stuff dictates I cant spend as much time in the kitchen as I'd like, and as I've never been a big veggie fan I've been sort of substituting veggies with nuts, keeping a close eye on the carb content and not going mad I should add..

anyway, this has been going on about a week now and I just lost another 3 lb, so this doesn't seem to be having an adverse effect..

I am taking a decent multi-vitamin also, have had no problems what so ever doing this (so far) and feel great..

back to drinking all my water (and a bit more usually) and am still in heavy ketosis according to the sticks..

i tend to stick to the macadamia nuts, our store does a great range of nuts, all unsalted or coated, just natural as can be, these are the ones i am having..

so, is this ok, be interested in anyones thoughts on this (JAG - you'll know something mate)

all the best...

(smaller) Tony
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 14:07

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Dr Atkins loved Macadamia nuts. After Induction nuts are great options.
Almonds are low carb. Walnuts are higher in carbs but high in Omega 3's.
I love nuts, but they are really high in calories for a small amount.
Try some making a breading for fried chicken with grated parmesean cheese and add some chopped pecans or walnuts of course you'll want to add salt and pepper. Dip your chicken in egg wash and dredge in the mixture. You'll need to fry at a slightly higher temp to keep the Parmesean cheese from falling off.
Congrats on another three pounds!

You know who
Jag

Last edited by jagbender : Mon, May-10-04 at 14:18.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 14:22

I almost forgot my favorite sweet snack.
Pecans toasted in a skillet with real butter. You have to do this on low heat as to not burn them. Once they start to turn a little darker sprinkle with cinnamon, a little salt and Splenda.
let them cool and Man you have a tasty treat!.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 16:06
Honoured to be here

BF:

I knew you'd come thru for me mate, thank you ever so much, the recipe ideas are a real gem, my good lady bought a massive jar of splenda a while back and its more or less unused, i never thought about using it that way to be honest.

and as for using the nuts as a coating, another great idea, will try both of these...

all the nuts i get are unsalted and untreated, and my theory is that if i'm enjoying what i eat i will do far better then if i'm not..

can you (or anyone) post up a link to a decent site for recipes, or would you sugest just doing your own thing..

all the best..

Tony
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi, Tony! Nuts are great in moderation (see my current sig, LOL). However, while they contain plenty of minerals they are no substitute for vegetables, which contain more vitamins than minerals.

I've seen posts on this forum from many, many people who absolutely hated vegetables before but now love them. Try a little bit of something you don't hate, and see how you do with it. Surely there has to be at least one low-carb vegetable that you like (asparagus? green beans? salad? the list goes on and on). Start off with that, and every week try something new. As you say, you're going to do better with food you enjoy--and you'll probably also do better with a more varied diet because you'll likely enjoy it a lot more.

This brings to thought another thing. I've talked to quite a few men who were previously on Atkins. They said they quit because they got tired of eating the same old thing over and over again. Hello? Around this house, the only time we eat the same thing twice in a week is if that's what we really want (like stir-fry or some such). The more different foods you add to your diet, the more variety you'll have.

Oops! I almost forgot! One great way to get used to eating veggies that aren't your favorite thing is to use sauces and dressings (Yeah Dr. Atkins!!). Try asparagus with cheese sauce, broccoli with bleu cheese or an oil and vinegar dressing, green beans with butter, and again the list can just go on and on. We eat broccoli about 6 times a week, and between the combination of things we add it rarely tastes the same way twice.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 19:06
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Nut butters, the natural ones, are good as well. Sometimes a spoonful of almond or macadamia butter keeps me from eating something worse.

I'm all for the nuts.

Kay
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 02:21
Honoured to be here

BF:

cheers guys, i do eat some veggies, tomatoe, mushrooms, onions, salad greens, but not a lot... just cant stomach them and i think this is what made me quit atkins last time round...

I'm a big believer in not forcing myself to eat things i dont like, just doesn't seem logical to me to eat something and hate every minute of it....

anyway, we'll see how it goes...

all the best..

Tony
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 05:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Me: "It could be the nuts causing no weight loss."
Me again: "No! Not the nuts! Surely, not the nuts!"
Me: "Can you do without the nuts long enough to find out?"
Me again: "No! Not the nuts! Surely, not the nuts!"

LOL...this is the conversation I've been having with myself all month!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 07:10
Registered Member

Stats: 200/195/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am going to try the coating for fried chicken that was mentioned above. Sounds yummy...I'll let you know how it goes.
Way to go Tony ....I'm so proud of your dedication, very inspiring!!
Have a wonderful day

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 09:10

Stats: 245/181/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

A great cheese cake crust can be made with crushed pecans, butter(melted) and Splenda. Press into pan and use your favorite recipe w Splenda in place of sugar. Not an everyday indulgance but a great treat. Also a few sunflower seeds sprinkled over some cantalope with a spoonful of whipped cream is on of my favorites.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 13:34

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

I've added nuts, and am losing just as fast, if not faster, than ever!

This coincided with me quitting the atkins ice cream bars, though, so I don't know what had a bigger impact. I chose to add the nuts because stress was high (finals and moving), and I needed to be able to get something quick and cheap at school, and there are unsalted peanuts in the machine.

I have found one unfortunate effect-- if I only eat the nuts, and lose my mind and go a day without any veggies but a few leaves of lettuce, I get stopped up. There's some fiber in nuts, but apparently not enough!!! I won't make that mistake again.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 14:14
Honoured to be here

BF:

great news guys, so glad they are ok, or seem to be..

time will tell i suppose tho, i'll keep a close eye on things anyway...

another quick question, i wanna make someof my own ice cream, are extracts ok, like vanilla, and maybe some fruit extracts, ya know, the super concentrated stuff??

cheers again for the replies, seems like this subject is close to a few peoples hearts..

Tony
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 15:28

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

i've been on induction for 6 weeks- with the modification that i cant live without the nuts. i have atleast 1 serving a day. its worth it- theyre so satisfying. i dont know how much weight i've lost, but i've lost EIGHT sizes.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 17:38
Registered Member

Stats: 200/195/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%

I tried the fried chicken with parmesan and pecan....Mmmmmm
Athough, I did try something a bit different...I put the pecans in my coffee bean grinder and gave it 2 pulses....perfect...mixed well with the parmesan. No salt or pepper needed. DE-O-Lishes
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 17:59

Eyzrblue glad you liked the chicken.
Tony, extracts are ok. I make my own Ice cream (go figure )
I bought a freezer bowl type Ice cream maker. You put the bowl in the freezer and it has some gel inbetween the layers.
I use 1 cup of heavy cream, cocoa powder for chocolate and 2 cups of Carb Countdown LC chocolate milk. I add 1 Tablespoon of vegtable Glyceren to help keep it smooth. Add splenda to taste. The Ice Cream is great when first made but does not freeze well, it gets hard as a rock. If you do not have Carb countdown LC milk I used to use a low carb soy milk instead. Soy slender about 4 carbs a cup.
Cheers
jag