Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 06:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/185/167 Female 5ft. 6in.
BF:I don't wanta know
Progress: 87%
Default Stay At Induction or Move On?

I am in my tenth week on the induction level of the Atkins plan. I have been planning to stay at this level for a while thinking that since I have a lot of weight left to loose that I will loose faster eating less carbs. Is this true? I would be interested in hearing other's experience. Someone said you will loose faster if you move on into OWL level and add some carbs. Is this true? I am satisfied at the induction level, so that is not a problem. I just want to make sure that I am as successful as possible. What did you all find worked best?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:32
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I think it's a personal decision. Are you happy with your rate of loss now? If you are and you are satisfied with the foods you are eating, why mess with success.

If you are losing slower than you want (within reason), it's possible more carbs will help, you can try it.

I don't think this is a one size fits all diet, you'll find there are as many ways to do it as there are people doing it.

Val
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 12:52

Stats: 203/197.0/160 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:Who/knows/or cares
Progress: 14%

I agree with Valerie. If you're doing well with induction and are suceeding why change. The only reason I can think for adding carbs would be boredom with the diet or you have stalled (no weight loss for 2-3 weeks).

I don't know how many pounds you're losing a week but I'd be happy with one or two. That seems like a good rate of loss to me. It's not healthy to lose to quickly (doctor was telling me this today).
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 13:05

Stats: 327/292/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I totally agree that it is a personal choice..I stay on induction because it is what works best for me. I say stay on induction as long as you are losing at a nice rate ( not to fast) and your energy levels are good and you feel good. I have found that WOL means different things for different people..some people lose with more carbs some with less thats whats so great about it..you find out what works for you and your body, not like other diets that if you eat one celery stick to many you have BLOWN IT....I also have found that staying on induction makes me stay away from those "lo-carb" proccessed foods that cause so many to stall. Good Luck you seem to be doing so well, keep up the good work.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 14:41

Stats: 296/258/136 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:Lots, definately
Progress: 24%

Good question!! The hubby and I are debating on the same thing. The only thing I really would like to add are some berries for breakfast here and there. I am so pleased though because I am not craving the old chocolate/chips/pizza/etc. anymore =)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 18:18

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

One of the reasons Dr. Atkins said to move on up after Induction was that your body can get used to having only 20 gm of carbs. If you get into a stall or plateau (which everyone does), you have nowhere to go back down to. If you increase the carbs, you have several levels to move back to when the losing slows or stops.

And it is true that some people DO lose better at higher carb levels IF the carbs are low GI.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 20:53

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Yep, personal choice is great with this WOL. I find it great to have more variety when I eat higher carbs. Some days I eat in the 20-25 range, others in the 35-45 range. I find that if I eat higher carbs, I need to watch and not let the calories go too high. I know a lot of folks don't have to watch the calories, but for some it does matter.

I think it's worth trying for a week or 2 just to give you some variety. You can always go back down to the 20 if you find it slows your weight loss down too much. I'll warn you, though. Once you start eating a few higher carb items, like berries and nuts, it's hard to stop.

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-05-04, 09:48

Stats: 303/185/167 Female 5ft. 6in.
BF:I don't wanta know
Progress: 87%

Thanks to everyone for your input. I guess I will just play it by ear and see what happens from here on out.