Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 15:59

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default I think I've been taking too much vitamin E

Hey everyone,
I'm hoping someone can help me to calm my nerves. For the past couple of weeks, (maybe 3, not sure) I upped my supplement of vitamin E to twice a day. 800 mg in morning and 800 late at night. I realized that I was taking way too much and read we shouldnt exceed 1000 mg a day. I've noticed some brusing on my leg, this is common for me but you dont think this has something to do with taking too much vitamin E? I've stopped taking it and read that one shouldnt panic when one thinks theyve been taking too much of a certain vitamin and one would have to take excessive amounts over a long period of time for it to become toxic to the body. I'm shaking right now typing this because I've scared myself so bad over thinking I'm dying or something. I read that excessive amounts can cause internal bleeding..if I was internally bleeding I wouldnt be able to see it. (this is what my dad told me on the phone) Is this true? I'm used to bruising very easily, this is not uncommon for me...guess I just read this information and it worried me thinking about the big bruise I've had on my leg. Could someone help me feel better or what do yall think I should do? Should I go to the doctor? I'm so scared right now. =(
Brittany
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:25

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%

I just now spoke with a nurse at our University on the phone just now and she helped to calm me down and told me, like I thought, high doses over a long period of time would have to happen for internal bleeding. I guess I get so worked up about all this so easily because when I was a teenager, my mother died of a heart related problem, a cardiomopothy due to problems in her pregnancy, and I remember her having blood clots due to bad circulation very often. I know, this has nothing to do with me, but you see, I'm just overparanoid now because of having dealt with her problems. Sorry If I sounded like a complete freak!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 11:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default 400 mg a day?

Although I take 800mg after a nurse told me to up it after a bad mammogram.

Vitamin A is the really dangerous one. How much vitamin C are you taking? Not enough vitamin C is VERY much related to easy bruising. I take 12-15 grams a day, which I realize is high. You might want to increase what you're taking.