Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 17:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/138/120 Female 5 Feet 4 Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Induction Tomorrow!

Hello Everyone,

I am starting induction tomorrow and am looking forward to "meeting" some of you and hopefully gaining some knowledge, tips and tricks. I must admit that even though I have read the book, including the first 10 chapters, I am nervous. I am nervous about any health implications and the whole idea of eating fat to loose weight is a hard one to wrap my brain around. BUT, I am willing to give it my all and see what happens and how I feel.

Again, I look forward to this journey and getting to know some of you. I have no Atkins folk in my life at the moment and will no doubt need support from time to time.

Until then,
Kris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 17:21

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 395/380/165 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%

well welcome to this WOE. I wish you the best of luck, and I can't wait to see your progress along the way. You'll find plenty of support on this forum.... everyone is more than willing to help you with your weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 18:52
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLandolt
Hello Everyone,

the whole idea of eating fat to loose weight is a hard one to wrap my brain around. BUT, I am willing to give it my all and see what happens and how I feel. Until then, Kris

This was a little hard for me too. It took a week or so to convince myself that this ISN'T a lo-fat plan. The food is so good and that makes it easy to follow.

Good luck. You'll find so much info and support here.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

If you are concerned about fat in your diet you should read some other books about health that tell you the differences between the fats, and honestly the ONLY "bad" fat is trans fat (a.k.a. hydrogenated oil). Sugar is the enemy, NOT fat.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-02-04, 23:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 254/216/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

like you, i was seriously freaked out when starting atkins. i was terrified of eating fat and meat and things that i had always considered "unhealthy," because i, like most people, got my nutrition education in today's low-fat/high-sugar world. plus, i go to school with a lot of nursing and nutrition students who are ALL anti-atkins/anti-fat, and very pro-low-fat. (do they not realize there's SUGAR in low-fat stuff?). so i would hear a ton of negativity about atkins and low-carb plans in general and be lectured by nutrition teachers and nursing students that atkins was unhealthy and i was damaging my liver and yadda yadda yaddda...this from people who've never read the book or done any independent research, but have gleaned their information from a 2-minute blip on 60 seconds. er, anyway, sorry to rant...

it honestly took a lot of courage for me to start atkins, as i was so scared i'd gain weight from the fat and meat! so i did my research. i read the book many times, i researched medical writings, talked to people on atkins, and of course i found this forum. i must have posted a zillion times to the forum asking if it was *really* okay to eat fat. people must have thought i was simple, but the folks here are great and are an excellent source of information. and in my studies at school i've learned more about the biochemistry behind atkins and it really does make sense.

so...keep the book handy and refer to it when you have doubts. scour this forum and ask questions about absolutely anything you are unsure of. so long as you stick to atkins faithfully, you should do great. heck, i've lost weight and i've been heavy ALL my life. i never thought i'd be able to shop in the "normal" section, instead of the plus size section, but here i am, racking up the credit card bill! so if i can do it, anyone can!

some tips from me: keep a food diary! write down everything you eat and the carb count. it really puts it all in perspective when you can see day by day what you're eating. fitday.com is good for this.

only weigh once a week, max! weighing every day is gonna drive you crazy, trust me.

and, if you really want proof of how you're doing, i would suggest that you see your physician and get a baseline blood panel done, including blood sugar, cholesterol, liver, and renal panels. and then after about a month or two, get another blood panel done and compare your test results. when my doc got my post-atkins results back, she practically flipped out with joy. everything was normal for once! i'm the healthiest i've ever been and i have the lab results to prove it. that can be a great motivator for those hard days. and it's encouraging to see hard evidence of your success.

good luck and welcome to the low-carb life!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 09:44

Stats: 138/138/120 Female 5 Feet 4 Inches
BF:

Thanks so much...I dove in this morning and so far so good!

I'm certain that you will here from me again.

Until then,
Kris
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 09:49
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 09:55

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%
Default Hi Kris!

Welcome to the forum and to Atkins. I've been doing my own low-carb diet for over a year but started the Atkins in Jan. Then I fell off the wagon b/c I had some friends come visit me. I just started again a few weeks ago.

It looks like we have pretty much the same goal and we are about the same height. If ya need a buddy for support let me know. But everyone here is so helpful & nice. Any questions you have will be answered. We're all here to give support and motivation.

Good luck!

-Aimee