Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default High Protein Diet Risk

Special Report: High-Protein Diet
An NBC 30 Special Report
WEST HARTFORD, Conn. -- It's become a breakfast ritual for Mark Finocchiaro -- a bacon, egg and cheese omelet at Lottie's Diner, every morning.

Mark has been following a high-protein, high-fat regimen for the past three months. He's lost about 30 lbs.

Even reports about potential health risks, like heart problems and reduced kidney function, have not deterred him.

"I know it's bad for me, but the good outweighs the bad," Mark said.

But researchers at the Yale School of Medicine have uncovered another serious diet danger.

"What we found is people who have high protein intake and fat intake have increased risk of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma," said Dr. Tongzhang Zhen.

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma is a killer collection of different white blood cell cancers. Doctors are reporting a huge surge in the number of cases. It's been as mystery as to why.

Dr. Zhen studied 600 Connecticut women with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and 700 without cancer.

He found the women who ate a high-protein diet had a 70-percent increased risk of developing non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

"On the other hand, if people have a low intake of dietary fiber, they also have a risk of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma," Zhen said.

Zhen said that by eating more fiber, such as fruits and vegetables, you can lower the risk of the disease by 40 to 50 percent.

Zhen's research supports earlier findings. Researchers are still studying why the increased risk occurs, but animal studies reveal some clues. For example, over-nutrition from animal protein could cause immune disturbances.

Healthy immune function depends on proper nutrition. Zhen worries that any diet that radically eliminates certain nutrients of food groups will disturb our body's ability to repair things, and put us at greater risk.

"People don't take the time to really understand and learn how that particular diet is supposed to and has been designed to work," said Albert Petrunti of Avon.

The Petruntis have been Atkins advocates for years. Michelle Petrunti has lost 93 pounds. Albert lost 25 pounds.

They even based their business, IngenHealth, around the popular diet. But both make sure that they eat the healthier fats, the mono-unsaturated kind. They also eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Zhen said that balance is the key. A balanced diet is what's need to maintain a healthy lifestyle and lower the risk of disease.

http://www.nbc30.com/nbc30/3251398/detail.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Dr. Zhen studied 600 Connecticut women with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and 700 without cancer.
He found the women who ate a high-protein diet had a 70-percent increased risk of developing non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Note...they don't tell you what else they were eating with that high protein diet or what constitutes "high" for that matter. Was it also high in processed foods and sugars? How about transfats and vegetable oils?
To single out protein as the causative factor in this case without also considering the rest of the women's diets is irresponsible IMO.
Come to think of it, if a high protein and fat diet causes high rates of non-hodgkins lymphoma, I wonder why the Inuits didn't suffer widely from it?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 15:35

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobimbo
Zhen said that by eating more fiber, such as fruits and vegetables, you can lower the risk of the disease by 40 to 50 percent.

I am eating so much more veggies now. My fiber intake is wonderful. I feel great. If balance is the key, I have found it
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 16:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

all I have to say is

give me a break! what next! The fear mongers unite! Low Carb causes blindness, infertility (oh they did that one already), deafness, lock jaw, arthritis.... oh let me get out my medical dictionary.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 17:36

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

You forgot impotence
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:46

BF:

Quote:
For example, over-nutrition from animal protein could cause immune disturbances.

Right...guess that's why I've had ONE cold (and no other illnesses) in the past 3 years I've been low carbing. Come to think of it, this has been the healthiest year my 2 girls have ever had; I haven't had to pick them up from school because they got sick yet this year.
Guess that's also why my incision after my last surgery healed twice as fast as my doctor expected it to (and I'm a diabetic so that's really saying something). Yup...all that lack of sugar is really disturbing my immune system!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 18:54
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

http://jncicancerspectrum.oupjourna...jnci;91/20/1751

Is the text of the study. What I basically culled from it was, these were not people on a low carb diet, just people eating a normal diet with greater amounts of fat and protein. In other words, high carb and high fat/protein. I don't know anybody that thinkgs that is a good thing, and renders this study as useless information for LC dieters. Well, IMHO anyway
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 21:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 275/261/200 Male 5-8.5
BF:
Progress: 19%

I just want to say that I have been an atkins believer for 2 years now. Because it has worked for me. But recently im heading towards the south beach diet more. Since ive done more nutrition classes to recieve my degree, im starting to understand why high fat is really not the way to go. And how more fiber is required. But again I know the atkins program does work, all im saying is stay on atkins for a couple of months to burn most of the fat off. Then lean towards a better diet with more fiber. It will work.
Chefmorais
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 00:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

This is rediculous!!! What did people eat to keep from getting cancer before the creation of Oreo cookies and Wonder Bread. How the hell did mankind survive before it was able to manufacture pasta? I am sorry, but if you fully appreciate the way the body works then you should appreciate the importance of fats.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 00:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmorais
...im starting to understand why high fat is really not the way to go. And how more fiber is required.

I know this is off the subject, but how much fiber do you get in your diet on a daily basis eating Atkins-style? My low days are 30 grams, and that's with between 30-45 net carbs a day. I'll stick with the higher fat for now (am trying to lower it a bit and see how I do) because frankly, my body is and always has required fat. I low-fatted off and on for years and it never did me one bit of good. I think people are different, though, based on genetics and such. I believe some people are gentically disposed to requiring more fats than others. My body loves higher fat and lower carb.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 08:05

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanis

just people eating a normal diet with greater amounts of fat and protein. In other words, high carb and high fat/protein. I don't know anybody that thinkgs that is a good thing, and renders this study as useless information for LC dieters.

Absolutely right. They tagged the 'high-protein' label on this just for scare appeal. The rest of the stuff is pure wishful speculation. Journalism at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobimbo
Zhen said that balance is the key. A balanced diet is what's need to maintain a healthy lifestyle and lower the risk of disease.

Sounds sensible and logical, right? Except "Balanced diet" is a meaningless term. Does it suggest that you evenly balance all macronutrients? 33.3% Fat, 33.3% Protein, 33.3% Carbs? Or, maybe you should balance the food groups: 25% Fruits and Vegetables, 25% Meat, 25% Dairy, 25% Grains. Or maybe you should balance the colors of your food? Or maybe 50% food that tastes like crap, and 50% that tastes good? A useless term.

Its all about bias. How is a high-glucose diet 'balanced", while a high-protein diet is not? Why is a high-starch diet 'balanced' while a high-fat diet is not? Why is a low-fat diet 'balanced' while a low-carb diet is not?

This 'Balance' thing is pure bias. The food pyramid
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 08:26

BF:

Quote:
This 'Balance' thing is pure bias.

LOL...for some people, "balanced" means a Twinkie in each hand!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 08:33

BF:

Quote:
I know this is off the subject, but how much fiber do you get in your diet on a daily basis eating Atkins-style? My low days are 30 grams, and that's with between 30-45 net carbs a day.

Lila...you make a good point. Even at induction levels, it's possible to get quite a bit of fiber. Let's also consider what many of these studies that demonize fat are based on; high carb AND high fat. They blame the fat because of scientific bias (it couldn't possibly be the carbs, right?) and ignore the possibility that it may be the high carb content of the diets of the subjects studied that caused the negative effects OR the combination of high carb and high fat or even the types of fats they were consuming (ie high in hydrogenated or processed vegetable oils). Something else that a lot of these article writers seem to ignore is that you are not intended to stay at induction levels of carb forever or even for the duration of your weight loss journey. Moving through all the phases gradually increases your levels of carbs and decreases your level of fats.
Same thing goes for the studies that claim fiber is absolutely necessary for good health. Is it the fiber or the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and antioxidants that high fiber (ie vegetables) foods contain? How do you isolate the effects of one from the other?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 09:37

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Is it the fiber or the vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and antioxidants that high fiber (ie vegetables) foods contain? How do you isolate the effects of one from the other?

Lisa, I think you're right. Dieticians glorify fiber in the diet, but IMHO, it's merely a marker for eating natural, whole foods as they were grown. Which is never a bad thing. Personally, I don't see how pushing indigestible wood fibers through your intestines can help with heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and everything else they say fiber helps.

Incidentally, I recall one study -- concerning colon cancer -- that tried adding fiber alone (in the form of psyllium supplements, I believe) to see if it helped prevent pre-cancerous polyps from turning to cancerous. Turns out that people who took the fiber supplements developed MORE cancerous growths.

My take? Eat food, not sawdust.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-01-04, 09:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

This reminds me of the medicine warnings on almost all medicines. ie: this could cause constipation, diarheah, insomnia, drowsiness, dry mouth, excess salivation...........on and on.