Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 23:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/176/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default Im starting to get worried.

I have been on atkins induction for 4 weeks. My scale is pretty crappy some days it will say I have lost 9lbs and some days it will say I have lost 4. I am working out about 3 days a week (cardio only) I did measure myself and I have lost 3 inches in my waist and a couple inches in various other places on my body. But that was all in he first week and 1/2 I thought I would be seeing more results but im not. I only have about 25-30 lbs to loose. I would love to lose 50lbs all togther, but I am 5'6 and think that realistically I could only be about 155-150. If i got down to 130 great, but my first major goal is 150. Do you think its normal to not be losing much? Also, I have drank alcohol about 3 times since I have been on it, bit it has been low carb beer or no carb liquor. Could that stop my weight loss even though it has no carbs. Also recently it has been really hard for my to stay under twenty carbs, I have been eating about 25 for the past 3 or 4 days, one day I think I even got up to 30, do you think that makes that much of a difference? especially because before this diet i would consume anywhere from 400-600 carbs a day. I would think going down to even 30 or 40 would make me lose extensive weight. What do you guys think? Should I just wait it out.. oh and also I have been eating that low carb ice creme, should i cut that out? Thanks, rachel

Last edited by rachel705 : Wed, Apr-28-04 at 23:38.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 23:54

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Do you weigh the same time every day? I way myself in the AM right after my first visit to the potty, with no clothes on ( Shhh )
My evening weight is always higher than my morning weight. I do weigh myself at night on occaision so that I can guess what my AM weight will be.

Rachel,atleast reduce the amount of treats like ice cream. I began eating less lc bread because it seems to be stalling me. Notice I said less bread. I didn't stop it all together.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 01:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/126/120 Female 5'4
BF:26%
Progress: 67%

I think it's normal, because I sure see posts like this all the time, and I'm having the exact same experience. The usual advice is, stick to whole natural foods, try cutting out dairy and nuts, exercise, drink water, and be patient. That's what I'm doing!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 01:45

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

The problems with alcohol, even carb-free ones, is that your body wants to burn alcohol instead of fat, so the alcohol burns off first. Then if your body needs more fuel it will go after the fat. If you're on Induction, you shouldn't be consuming alcohol at all.

The fewer pounds you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off generally. Even so, I've seen people with few pounds to shed (just over 30) lose quite quickly at first to taper off later.

Either way, a lot of times once the first two weeks is up, weight loss will slow or halt temporarily while the body adjusts. It's not a big issue--just means you have to be patient and hang in there.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 05:14
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I don't think you should worry, your weight loss is fine whether it be 4 or 9 lbs in 4 weeks. Yes, you will hear about people losing 20lbs a week when they first start, but usually they have a lot more to lose than you do. Don't forget this is not some "miracle" diet, you can only realistcally expect to lose at the same rate as any other plan you would stick to.

The alcohol unfortunately will slow you down though, so you might lose more quickly if you eliminate it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 13:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/176/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default ..

Thanks guys.. I think I need to drink more water, remember my vitamin everyday and stay away from the low catb candy.

What do you think about me sometimes having slightly over 20 carbs.. will that make a huge difference?

also i was wondering, do you lose fat from being in ketosis, or do you lose fat from your body burning off your fat as fuel because of lack of carbs.. is it a little of both, or are they one in the same?

Thanks, Rachel
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 18:55

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

If you are on Induction, keep your carb levels to 20. It's painful at first, but before long your body will be thanking you for it. Once you move past Induction, try upping your carbs as recommended. I like to stay at between 30-40 per day now, because that's a comfortable level for me (as in I get all the veggies I can eat, some berries, and a little bit of LC cereal or bread).

Oh, and about that fat-burning thing. There's a thread in either the General Low-Carb board or the Atkins board discussing that very thing.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 06:38
Hanging in there

Stats: //130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hang in there...i've been losing an average of about 10 pounds a month...that's fine for me..it didn't take me a month to gain all this weight..I have to be realistic..get a tape measure that might help you...it has me when i've stalled...good luck
Des
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 07:33

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

When you consume Alcohol you take yourself out of Liposis / ketosis. Our bodies will run (burn) carbs, fat or alcohol.
The alcohol will get burned first and if you are LC then fat.
Also, carbs and protein have 4 caloris per gram. fat 9 cals per gram and Alcohol 12 cals per gram.
I stalled for 4 months until I realalized it was the Jim Beam!
Hign in calories and taking myself out of liposis.
Jag