Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 10:45

Plan: Atkins-general low carb
Stats: //150
BF:to much *LOL*
Progress: 12%
Unhappy Lazy....what is wrong with me?

Well i am hoping some of you will have some advise for me. I work 3 shifts a week 12 hrs a night.When I am not at work i am sitting on my A$$ or sleeping.I know if i got up and did things i would feel so much better and the weight would come off alot faster.But i can't seem to get myself up to do anything.What is wrong with me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 16:05
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

This may sound harsh, but nobody can make you get up and exercise but you yourself! Why do you think they ever came out with that slogan "just do it"? Get off your tush, start with something easy, probably just walking around the block, a local track or path.....anything! And then as time goes on, a little activity usually makes you feel like doing a little more, and next thing you know, you can't wait to exercise. You can diet all you want, if you do not start adding some activity to your life, the quality of it will definitely deteriorate faster as you age, that is a fact you cannot escape. The only thing that will slow down that deterioration is avoiding the sedentary lifestyle!

And understand that this is coming from one that has walked in your shoes, I started this way of life because I could not get off the sofa for hours upon hours after I had become involuntarily unemployed. Was just too tired, had to nap and nap and nap, or just sit and watch TV....just didn't have energy at all. And started with 3/4 of a mile around a local walking track. You can do it, yes you can!

MOVE IT OR LOSE IT!!!!!!

Sorry about the tough love routine, but it's totally the truth
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 17:03

Thank you.Sometimes the truth is just what i need *LOL* I guess tomorrow i will be walking. Wouldn't it be nice if they had something to make ya want to excrise.

thanks again
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 19:49
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Well, why would you be asking if you didn't want to? Isn't the pain of not being able to gather the energy to do something for yourself a catalyst? If you let IT motivate you to make that first step, the feeling of accomplishment will spur you on to more, and that will start to change your body in a way that you will soon come to desire more and more. Once begun, it is truly amazing at the change toward a more youthful energetic you that can take place.

Just promise yourself to give it a little time, say 2 or 3 months, and don't quit at the first sign of a little discomfort and you will see, I guarantee, or I'll refund you your ole' tired a#% self right back, LOL
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 20:09

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%

One help might be to use our tendencies for habits, routines, and addictions to our advantage. Pick a day and time, or if your shifts always change, a pattern that would work.

For me, I am not a great exerciser. But twice a week is a start. So, for me it is now routine to look out of the window Saturday and Sunday mornings right after I wake up, and if it isn't pouring rain, snow or ice, I go walking. If I forget, I feel the guilt of a missed opportunity, a missed appointment. Do whatever you need to do - walk, curves, gym club - but get into a routine.

THink about when you might most easily get into such a routine. If you have 3 shifts, there is always a morning after 24 h break, so pick that morning, for example, as your routine: Whenever I am off 24 h, that morning is my walk/gym day. Or maybe the morning after you have slept and still have the whole day off - whatever works, but then make it your rule. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 03:15

Plan: BFL
Stats: 167/162/167 Male 6'3
BF:13%/10.4%/10%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28
Wouldn't it be nice if they had something to make ya want to excrise.

They do, it is called living longer and feeling better.

It only has to be 20/30 minutes out of your day, which is not a lot. This will do you the world of good. Imagine that 20/30 minutes, thats not a lot is it and it could stick years on your life.

Good luck
Mike
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 08:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

How's this for little exercise...

I try to do ten leg lifts or crunches every day. I walk from the subway to work, but I've been doing that for years. I just try to get those lifts in with the thought of this summer...

Will they do anything for the summer? I doubt it. But as long as I get myself into a routine (20-30 seconds!), then maybe, in the future, I'll expand on it.

M
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 12:36

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Get a dog?

Molly gets me out the door more often than I would on my own, that's for sure.

I generally don't "want" to exercise. But I DO want to look better, feel better, be able to get through a day without dragging or hurting myself, etc. And all of those benefits come from regular exercise.

I'm surrounded by aging women--15 over 80. And the more active they were from 40-60, the better the life they have today. That's some incentive when my own isn't strong enough.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 23:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default I'm the same way

I also work nights and until recently was working part time for several months. I got out of the exercise habit when I moved, but before that, I had gotten very good about it. I started by doing an exercise video, Walk Away the Pounds. It's a series, but the first, simplest one is only 15 minutes. I'd tell myself if I can't even get off my butt for 15 minutes, then I'm REALLY pathetic. Pretty soon I was doing the tape twice a day instead. And then I moved on to the 30-minute tape.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 14:36

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

lets assume you work 6PM to 6AM Mon, Tue, Wed. Sleep from 9 to 5. Do you alter your wake/sleep on your days off?
If not, can you work out at 6PM on Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun. If you do shift over - why not work out at 8AM Th,Fr,Sa,Su & Mon.

This might work better than trying to get it in on your 12 hrs off.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 15:19

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Jennifer,

Don't expect to feel like doing it.

The key is to not think about what you feel like doing. Do it because you planned to do it, because you scheduled it, because it is what you are going to do. Turn off your brain, don't think about what you want to do, do not evaluate. Excercise because you decided to, not because you feel like it. It's just the next thing you're (and I'm) going to do. Period.

Now turn the computer off. I am and I'm off to the gym now. Do I feel like it? I don't know. I'm not thinking about it. I am just going because it's on my calendar for 3:30.

Bye!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 15:36

thanks guys!!!!! I needed all that to get my butt in gear