Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 06:01
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Stopping herb may have saved a life

Stopping herb may have saved a life

JOE and TERESA GRAEDON

King Features Syndicate

You recently wrote about a link between black cohosh and liver problems. I have a friend who has had hepatitis C for 23 years. She had been taking black cohosh for menopausal hot flashes, but her liver enzymes were high, at 600. When I read your column I e-mailed her, and she quit taking the herb.

Today she phoned to tell me her liver enzymes are now down to 60. She credits quitting the black cohosh for this dramatic improvement. We both thank you for perhaps saving her life.

We are delighted to learn that your friend had such a positive outcome. As far as we can tell, this reaction to black cohosh is quite rare. Nonetheless, it is so serious that women taking black cohosh might wish to have their liver function monitored.

For many years I suffered from heartburn and had to take Alka-Seltzer four or five days a week at bedtime. I had been advised to avoid fatty foods, so I ate a very low-fat diet with lots of rice, pasta and beans. I ate nothing fried.

Then last year I made a New Year's resolution to lose weight, and I tried the Atkins diet. I worried that eating greasy food like sausage, eggs and hard cheese would aggravate my heartburn, but decided to try the diet anyway. (I could no longer button my jeans.)

I managed to lose 25 pounds in 10 weeks and have kept it off for 15 months. I also lost my heartburn, even before the weight came off. I no longer need to take any antacid. Have others reported this benefit?

We have heard from some people that the Atkins diet helps relieve symptoms of heartburn and acid reflux. There is even a preliminary report in the medical literature documenting five cases of patients whose acid reflux disappeared when they adopted a carbohydrate-restricted diet (Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, November-December 2001).

Do decaffeinated green and black tea have the same antioxidant content as regular green and black tea? We have read about the benefits but want to avoid the caffeine.

Jeffrey Blumberg, Ph.D., chief of the Antioxidants Research Laboratory at Tufts University, has assured us that decaffeinated tea contains a similar amount of antioxidants.

I have trouble with insomnia and would like a natural remedy instead of a prescription sleeping pill. I take metoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide for high blood pressure, and sometimes I am awakened by a nightmare and cannot get back to sleep.

My doctor says I can take melatonin, but my pharmacist says there isn't any good research. Is this harmful, or is melatonin a safe sleeping aid?

Recent research from the Netherlands (Hypertension, February 2004) suggests that taking melatonin an hour before bed for three weeks can help control blood pressure in men with hypertension. Data suggest melatonin can be effective against insomnia but longer-term studies are needed to answer your question about safety.

We list drugs that can contribute to insomnia (such as metoprolol) and discuss the use of melatonin and nondrug approaches in our Guide to Getting a Good Night's Sleep. Anyone who would like a copy, please send $2 in check or money order with a long (No. 10), stamped (60 cents), self-addressed envelope to: Graedons' People's Pharmacy, No. I-70, P.O. Box 52027, Durham, NC 27717-2027. Metoprolol should never be stopped without medical supervision.

For about six months, I took ibuprofen on a regular basis to prevent muscle aches from my exercise program. During this time, I had many blank thoughts and feared I might be in the early stage of Alzheimer's disease.

Then I checked my nurses' drug manual and found that ibuprofen can have cognitive effects. Stopping the medication improved my mental status. I know the medication is effective for many people, but I would like to alert others to this possibility.

Millions take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB), naproxen (Aleve) or prescription pain relievers with no problems. In fact, there is some data to suggest that such drugs might help lower the risk of Alzheimer's disease.

Unfortunately, some people are very sensitive to digestive tract irritation. It is estimated that more than 100,000 people are hospitalized each year as a consequence of NSAID-induced ulcers. More than 15,000 die from complications.

Psychiatric reactions are much less common, but there are reports of dizziness, drowsiness, headache and confusion brought on by NSAIDs. Why some are vulnerable to this effect and others appear resistant remains mysterious.

I had dandruff for 26 years and tried all sorts of medicated shampoos with no success. About two years ago I got a fungus under the nail of my big toe. My podiatrist put me on Lamisil, one pill a day for three months.

While taking it, my dandruff cleared up and quit itching. I swear I am totally cured, although the Lamisil did not get rid of my nail fungus.

We're not surprised to learn that the antifungal medicine you took for your nail infection cleared up your dandruff. Dermatologists believe that bad dandruff might be caused in part by a yeast (Pityrosporum ovale). Antifungal medicines could well eliminate the yeast, which is a type of fungus.

I've read that walnuts can reduce cholesterol. What I would like to know is what portion to eat each day.

The Food and Drug Administration will allow labeling on walnuts suggesting that 1.5 ounces daily might reduce the risk of heart disease. That comes to about one-third cup of walnuts.

My wife has just been placed on Coumadin for atrial fibrillation. Could you tell us what foods affect Coumadin? Do you have any information about potential interactions with over-the-counter medicines? She has been told to avoid aspirin.

Coumadin (warfarin) prevents dangerous blood clots by countering vitamin K. In general, people on Coumadin do best if they get roughly the same amount of vitamin K daily so the drug dose can be adjusted accordingly. This vitamin is found in dark green vegetables such as spinach and broccoli.

Many medicines, including aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen, don't combine well with Coumadin. Even regular use of acetaminophen (Tylenol) might pose problems.

We would like to send you our Guides to Food, Drug and Coumadin Interactions, with lists of food sources of vitamin K and medicines that might interact with Coumadin. Anyone who would like copies, please send $3 in check or money order with a long (No. 10), stamped (60 cents), self-addressed envelope to: Graedons' People's Pharmacy, No. FD-195, P.O. Box 52027, Durham, NC 27717-2027.

British experts warn patients on Coumadin to avoid cranberry juice, since the combination might lead to excessive bleeding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Joe Graedon is a pharmacologist. Teresa Graedon is a medical anthropologist and nutrition expert. Write to them in care of King Features Syndicate, 888 Seventh Ave., New York, NY 10019, or e-mail to PHARMACY~mindspring.com
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 08:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've always been afraid of some of the crazy things my parents have taken. I never was able to get through to them the message that "just because you bought it in a health food store doesn't mean its healthy".
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 11:15
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I once blew up at my mothers husband, because he was telling me about these shakes and these pills he was taking and how they are supposed to be all magical and stuff.

So as we got into the discussion he admitted that he was taking the stuff for 2 months and hasent lost a pound yet and he was still paying for all these things so I asked why he was taking it and he responded saying, well, it may not help but it certainly doesnt hurt you. I blew up saying how do you know that? He said its all natural... well so is arsenic. You dont know whats in this stuff, you are taking a bunch of pills and drinks and all kinds of things that people say are all natural but yeah, that doesnt mean its good for you. Also the combination of certain things may cause a certain type of reaction in your body that isnt good.

Moral of the story. Dont trust anything unless you thoroughly research it yourself, and even then maintain a healthy dose of skepticism.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 13:55

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default natural is not = healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
..... how do you know that? He said its all natural... well so is arsenic.

You are so right! And it is such a common misconception especially among health conscious people! Belladonna is a drug made from a plant and a strong heart medication - if you eat that plant, you can die! One of the strongest poison we are aware of, botulinum toxin, is made by a bacterium that can naturally be found in food. And so on.

The additional problems is that certain things made from natural plants are not considered drugs but food additives, so in contrast to chemically made drugs, the manufacturers do not have to test them in clinical trials for either toxicity or efficacy (whether or not they work).
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 17:54

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
I had dandruff for 26 years and tried all sorts of medicated shampoos with no success. About two years ago I got a fungus under the nail of my big toe. My podiatrist put me on Lamisil, one pill a day for three months.

While taking it, my dandruff cleared up and quit itching. I swear I am totally cured, although the Lamisil did not get rid of my nail fungus

I had a similar experience as well. For years and years I had an itchy scalp. Scratching would lead eventually to nasty sores. The itching seems to abate after washing my head but got gradually worse over the following 2 days, until I washed my head again. I was even prescribed some cortisone lotion but to no avail.

One day, at the pharmacy, I saw a medicated shampoo called Nizeral that claimed to kill the fungous that causes dandruff. It dawned on me that the fact my itching got worse over time seemed consistant with something growing (sorry that's a bit gross I know). I bought the shampoo.

Well it was a miracle. The itching stopped immediately. Before I had even finished the bottle, the condition had completely disappeared. It never came back. I am cured.

If this was better known, products line like head 'n shoulders would die out completely.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 18:23

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I just did a search on Nizeral and got links to a dog shampoo . However, when I accepted Google's alternate Nizoral, I got a dandruf shampoo for people. I'm going to have to try it myself -- that is if I can find it in the US.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 20:16

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
I just did a search on Nizeral and got links to a dog shampoo . However, when I accepted Google's alternate Nizoral, I got a dandruf shampoo for people. I'm going to have to try it myself -- that is if I can find it in the US.

Ooops

Sorry about that, I should have checked.

Let me know if it works for yah.

Anyway, here is the link http://www.nizoral.com. They say the product should be used twice a week. However, in my case, a few applications was enough. I never had to use it again.

Last edited by Angeline : Sat, Apr-17-04 at 20:37.