Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 21:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default When is it safe to buy new clothes?

I don't think I'm alone when I say that my clothes are baggy now. But the thing is, I really don't know if I should go out and buy new clothes. A couple of bad things could happen
1-I could get out of hand and start eating the same way again, hence gain weight back
2-keep going and be too small for the clothes in a few weeks
3-buy the new wardrobe and just stick to the weight I'm at now, even if I'm not at goal, so that I'll just fit them

What did you guys do?
By the way, I was almost tempted to eat Girl Guide cookies. They come once a year and I always get them. Oh Dear!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 23:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

well the number one reason would be when your pants end up around your ankles

Stay away from the cookies. Just remember you can make your own at home easily and much healthier. just be polite in your refusal

For the interm while you are still losing, check out local thrift stores. You might also see f you have a friend who is also dieting that is slightly smaller then you. They may be willing to loan you some clothing for the interm. If you have some time, learn to sew and take in some of your old clothing. It won't be a tailored outfit or anything, but it can stretch the old stuff out a little more.

What ever you do, don't go get a whole new wardrobe yet. Instead just buy a few simple pieces that coordinate with many things. This way you can intermix it with things form your old wardrobe. Then when you lose more weight the pieces can still come in handy mixed with your new clothing.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 23:47

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I bought new clothes. I bought them at a closeout store so that I don't overspend. I am all for Goodwills and other thrift stores. New clothes makes me feel good about myself.

Black57
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 00:44

Plan: low Carb..sim to atkins
Stats: 200/155/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Goodwill or any type of thrift store is awesome. I'm on the road 46 weeks a year. I get sick what I'm wearing every couple of months, I take my old stuff in and buy new stuff. It's fun because it's the ole "finding the bargain" theory. I have found many very nice quality (ie name brand designer) items at the thrift store clean without stains for anywhere from 2-5 dollars.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 00:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am in the same boat as you. All my clothes are baggy and the smaller clothes in my closet don't yet fit. I go day by day and try to shrink the stuff I have in the dryer by running it 2 or 3 times. i have to go buy some new clothes but I don't want to yet because I have 30 more pounds to go.
angie
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 00:55
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I won't buy a new wardrobe till I reach goal. I'm starting to fit into everything I've kept in my closet all these years that were tight on me so no need to buy anything right now.

#7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 00:58

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

Some clothes will shrink quite a bit if you boil them in a large pot on the kitchen stove.... I found this out when dying a sweater..... it made it at least 2 sizes smaller...lol
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 07:46

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Thrift stores are often recommended but I can't usually find anything there larger than size 16. I'm taking out my sewing machine today--let's see if I can produce any wearable pants!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 08:28
Registered Member

Stats: 144/133/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 79%

I don't go whole hog, and buy a new wardrobe, but I do buy one or two new seasonal pieces, and I don't buy anything expensive. Target has basic stuff for very little money. If I lose more weight, no worries.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 08:58

Stats: 170/125/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 100%

I can't do the thrift store thing myself. I grew up wearing hand me downs so the thought of wearing used clothes just upsets me. I can tell from your avatar you are probably into fashion and things yourself. Do you ever check out places like TJ Maxx or Marshalls? I can usually find jeans for under $20 and tops for under $15 at places like that. I made the mistake of buying a pair of Sergio Valente jeans (I wear jeans most of the time) at a local trendy store and now they are falling off me. They fit so well when I bought them. 100 bucks wasted.... So check out discount stores, they usually carry designer brands for less.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 09:08

Plan: non strict Atkins - don't
Stats: 160/129/132 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress: 111%

I just buy new stuff. I sepnt a fortune in the fall in The Bonton and Hechts.

I just bought myself a whole new wardrobe for spring too. I have over 20 new shirts and at least 10 new bottoms - new panties, bras, shoes, purses, watches, earrings, the works!

I like to be fairly stylish and look nice.

I have some 10s and 12 in pants but they are more fall like (darker colors) I'm debating selling my size 6 calvins! Maybe I'll put them on ebay.

FOr *ME* buying new clothes keeps me focused - I love new things and I want to keep wearing them.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 09:30
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

I do a bit of what everyone else seems to do. I do buy new stuff ( only pieces i think i can still wear later though) but I also go to a thrift store called buffaloo exchange. They are more for casual stuff but they have great prices on jeans and shirts. I havent figured out anything for work clothes other then outlets and discount stores. Oh the cool thing about buffallo exchange is i take my old stuff in and get credit towards any new stuff that i find.

Gabrielle
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 09:37

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
I bought new clothes. I bought them at a closeout store so that I don't overspend. I am all for Goodwills and other thrift stores. New clothes makes me feel good about myself.

Black57

Now, I must add that I wear fashionable clothes. Buying something that is out of style serves no purpose. Most things that I buy at the thrift stores still have the original store tags on them. Thrift store or Goodwill doesnt mean that it has been previously worn or outdated .
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 14:31

Stats: 148.5/137/130 Female 64 in
BF:27.2
Progress: 62%

Try consignment stores. I know here in Waco we have a consignment store that just sells name brand designer clothes. I bought my daughter a pair of Hilfiger jeans for $5.00 that still looked new. Maybe you have one there that is similar. You get nice clothes without the high price.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 14:50

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Here's a reason to "downsize" your wardrobe. I was talking to my (thin) younger sister, and mentioned having my old clothes around that are a few sizes too big. Her advice? Get rid of them. Make it difficult on yourself to get bigger again.

Sounds like good advice to me.