Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 10:51

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default dizzy?

hi there.. back on atkins after a long hiatus (i know shame shame).. I honestly have no clue why i went off of it in the first place.. felt like garbage during the time i was off anyhow..

heres my question.. ive always had low blood sugar 'good' for me is 60-70.. my BP is low also (102/70 last time i checked)..

I tend to get extremely dizzy lately when standing up from a kneeling position or low to the ground (which is often.. my job requires a bit of stocking shelves at times or unlocking doors with locks at the floor).. headachey at certain times also. Sometimes i get nauseaus about 1/2 hr after eating (along with dizzy and headache)

do you think its low sugar spells? I may not be eating enough calories.. and also some of the things i eat do have (minimal) sugar in them (for example sour cream has 1 g per serving as does the cream i use).. so i got to thinking maybe even a little sugar is setting me off.. maybe I should cut down on dairy? Ive heard that the lactose sugar in dairy can be bad too..

what are your opinions?

typically in a day I eat a 4 egg omelet with meat, a bit of cheese and tiny bit of sour cream, and hot sauce (cooked in olive oil spray) ... sometimes i eat a leCarb dairy dessert (of course i noticed the other day this has sugar grams ick.. this is the only item i eat like this - no bars or anything - but i am going to try not to eat it anymore).. pepperoni.. chicken wings or chicken.. sometimes a diet rite (or 2).. zucchini with butter or mashed cauliflower..

but im getting these 'symptoms' even when i have a very low dairy day and dont drink pop... the dizzy spells are constant when i stand up

im sure its nothing major but if it continues and i go to the doctor.. what tests should i ask for.. in other words what are the different things this could be symptoms of? BTW this got REALLY bad during TOM..

low bp? anemia? low sugar? allergies (i am allergic to milk which is why i eat dairy alot.. i crave it.. but am trying hard to cut down)?

BTW ive lost 13 lbs in the last 6 weeks so its not because of really fast weight loss..

thanks in advance for your opinions

and yeah i know.. is hould really use fitday.. just looking for suggestions for what to look at TIA!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-12-04, 08:41

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I have the same problem, especially during that TOM. I think it is related to low blood pressure, which I have also. I actually faint during TOM when I stand up to fast. I think it is related to diet, in a way. You know, diet affects fluid levels, sodium/potassium intake, etc.
Here is a website to check out, evidently, it can be a serious problem:

http://www.naspe-patients.org/patie...ting/index.html

"Some types of syncope are preceded by warning signs (presyncope) such as dizziness, nausea, stomachache, chest pain shortness of breath, or sweating. By learning to recognize the warning signs and lying down with the feet elevated, some people may be able to avoid a fainting episode. If you are susceptible to the common faint, you can take precautionary measures such as:

Drink plenty of water and other liquids
Avoid dehydration and overheating
Do not restrict salt in the diet
Wear compression stockings or other snug clothing, such as stretch leotards, on the lower body
Talk to your physician about any medications you are taking and ask if they might contribute to fainting."

You might not be fainting yet, but it sounds like you have the warning signs. I personally have never cut back on salt in my diet, because it happens more frequently when my BP is low.

Let me know if anything helps, and I will give it a try, too!

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, consult a physician if symptoms persist, yada yada....
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-13-04, 05:51
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I have low blood pressure also. Atkins naturally lowers blood pressure too. Some people can't do Atkins for that reason...it drops their pressure too low. Try additional potassium.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 12:10

BF:

thank you both very much
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-14-04, 17:07

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod
im sure its nothing major but if it continues and i go to the doctor.. what tests should i ask for.. in other words what are the different things this could be symptoms of?

isn't that pretty much why you go to a doctor - cuz s/he knows "all the different things this could be symptoms of" and what tests to do to determine the cause ?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-20-04, 00:09

BF:

sometimes my regular doctor isnt in and I have to see another doctor (even if i have an appointment).

for example, today my doctor couldnt see me so i went to another one (I have 2 ear infections ~ so excuse my crabbiness ~ and only needed some antibiotics). I asked her about a pain i get on the top of my head and she didnt really give me an answer.. since my mother had a brain tumor I asked it that could be a symptom of it and she listed what the symptoms WOULD be... which put my mind at ease. She wouldnt have even thought about that had i not brought it up, and I would have worried over it.

My regular doctor knows my concerns for the most part, and understands my worries. That being said, if i couldnt get in to see my regular doctor, I wanted to know what tests i might ask for. Some of the doctors at this clinic just arent 'up to par' with my doctor and at times I have felt I know more than they do. My husband searched very well to get our current doctor there.. and quite frankly he is the only one i feel secure with. Where other doctors have misdiagnosed my husband and his mother in the past.. this doctor is truly excellent. He is a very popular doctor, so if he isnt there you have to see another... thats just the way it works at my clinic.

I find it's best FOR ME to find things out before I go to the doctor so I can ask questions.. like 'could this be a symptom of this?' and he can put my mind at ease about it.. otherwise I might come home and read something someone said, get nervous, go back to the doctor, only to have wasted my time and money. Im a bit of a hypochondriac BTW... I suppoe that comes from having more than a few people in my family with cancer.

anyhow.. I guess I dont really NEED to explain why I made this thread.. for some people it may be a silly thing to do, but this is thread was started for ME

thanks again to everyone for your kind responses.

BTW Ive not been dizzy lately (2 times that i can recall within the past few weeks but that was since my ear infection) and today my BP was 136/60.. which seems better than 102/70 but i wouldnt really know.. the nurse said it was OK)

Last edited by peapod : Tue, Apr-20-04 at 00:16.