Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 07:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Atkins diet for gastric bypass person

I had my surgery Dec2001. I only lost down to 137 and slowly ate my way back up to 161 when I started Atkins in Feb 2004. Ive lost from 161 to 141 current. My question is anyone out there with this surgery finding "stomach" problems with the high protein and fat content of this diet. Im thinking its just me because I've always had a problem digesting Meat! I was pretty much a vegetarian after my surgery. I cant do the high fat dressing like Ranch either. Kinda have to stick to oil & vinegar types. Just wondering if any one else has this problem. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 08:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Wow. I've not heard of a Gastric Bypass patient going on Atkins after surgery. My very good friend just had this surgery four weeks ago. She's lost over 30 lbs already. I'm sure you've had to modify Atkins alot. I hear the very rich foods and cheese will make you ill. I can only imagine how heavy certain meats would weigh on your stomach. I have you though about doing South Beach? It's a little more low carb /low fat and might be a little easier to do after having the surgery.

Good luck to you!

Vicki B.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 09:52
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

My sister just had the surgery last November, and because the of way they by-pass most of the intestines she can not have a lot of fats. She just can't handle them. I think you would be much better with the South Beach approach than Atkins. I know the most important thing is that you get your protiens in. She has had problems with heavier dressings also.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I think maybe you should really check with your doctor - the fats may affect you really badly.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 05:21

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I would talk to your dr. Maybe go easy on fats like cheeses. More veggies maybe? maybe a South Beach approach
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-04, 08:55

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Did they send you out without any followup support-thats practically criminal. Can you get with an endocrnologist-find out how your body is proccessing the nutrition it can absorb and structure a lifetime program for you. Good luck-consider your health first then your weight.