Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 23:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Alcohol help-I want to go clubbing!

I've avoided the whole dance club scene since February cause I'm afraid to drink. I invited my girlfriends to come stay with me and I'll be expecting to go out every night they're here. Help me! I want to have some drinks and stay in ketosis. Is this possible! What can you drink? Are those Miller Ultra beers okay?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 00:03

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

Are those Miller Ultra beers okay?[/QUOTE]
Well, do mean taste? Maybe not! As far as ketosis goes, you may have to strip (not THAT! Use lipolysis test strips!) However, I don't think it's a healthy choice to forgo good carbs in order to "save" carbs for a watered-down beer. I think a better option would be to have a glass of red wine, and just figure on not being in ketosis for the time that you will be going out with your friends. I think the best option is to stick with a diet soft drink--you'll feel sooo much better in the morning, and you will surprise yourself--I bet you dance better, too! Your friends really don't give a hoot about what you're drinking, and maybe you can be a real friend to them and give them a safe drive home.

I don't mean to sound preachy, but you know this WOE (which I prefer to call a "WOL"--"L" for Life) is really about making better health choices all around--if you want to lose weight and keep it off, commit yourself to always making the best choices for yourself--after all, if aren't taking care of you, who will?

Peach
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 01:19

Stats: 210/190/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146pounds
I've avoided the whole dance club scene since February cause I'm afraid to drink. I invited my girlfriends to come stay with me and I'll be expecting to go out every night they're here. Help me! I want to have some drinks and stay in ketosis. Is this possible! What can you drink? Are those Miller Ultra beers okay?

I see nothing wrong with having a few (or more than a few) rum & diet cokes. You can tell by my pictures that I haven't cut out alcohol from my woe at all.

My favorite drinks are crown & diet coke, smirnoff & diet coke, or the crown & smirnoff straight up. Oh! Don't try anything with tonic water or club soda; personally, I think it tastes disgusting.

Never had the low-carb beer, but from what I heard at work (GM Place), the stuff sucks.

One last note: *Flirt with the bartender for free drinks. Always works *
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 04:35

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I don't think there is much wrong with having a few drinks every once in a while. Drinking several nights out of the week will probably catch up with you. Remember, your body will burn alcohol first so as long as it's in your system, you arent going to burn fat. I like to drink a couple glasses of wine every once in a while... on the rare occasion I do it 2 nights in a row and every time, on the third day I'm craving all sorts of sweet stuff. If you do decide to drink beer, lowcarb or not, will be your least friendly option, and some liquor doesnt have any carbs. Stay on track while they are visiting! I know for me, its hard to stay focused durring a special occasion. Don't let making an exceptions turn into ten!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 04:53

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 249/ 199/175 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 68%

I do not think you should forgo alcohol alltogether because if it was part of your social life before you started this wol then to my mind it has to be included in youe new wol.I drink twice a week and yes it may slow down my weight loss somewhat but I enjoy my "few" drinks and after my nights out exercise hard the next day to help burn the fat and get the suger alcohol out of my system,no beers though only white wine or white spirts.Be warned the hangovers are from hell!!!!.Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 08:29

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Watch out, though, if you're in ketosis your tolerance is MUCH lower than it was before. I found this out the hard way. Take it slow and alternate with Perrier or something if you can. For me, oddly, hard liquor (caipirinhas) didn't hurt me but wine (prosecco) kicked my butt in a really unpleasant way.

And do NOT skip lunch to save up carbs... Atkins lightweightness + empty stomach = trouble.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 08:57
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I suggest having a glass of water or non-alcoholic drink in between "real" drinks if you choose to drink. Drinks really hit you hard when you're lc!!!

The Michelob Ultra and Miller light are okay, but I prefer vodka and diet Squirt or diet Sprite.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 08:58

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

rum is 0 carb, so yeah.. do rum and diet riet, stray away from those diet drinks.. aspartame = bad
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 09:59
wrkn off da baby fat

Stats: 242.5/242.5/160 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Diet rite is a great soda but what bar is gonna have it on tap?

I believe as long as you have a diet instead of a sugar laden soda as a mixer w/your alcohol you'll be good to go.

Personally I do shots ...no carbs.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:10

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Just one more "take it easy" warning - as folks have said, your tolerance will be down and it will hit you much quicker than before. I'd avoid shots (just because the effects sneak up on you and before you know it you're in trouble) and go for something you can sip on. Rum and diet coke, martini, red/white wine, go with something like that and take it slow until you know how it will affect you. Also, remember since you're not eating carbs that sometimes absorb the alcohol, you are going to have its full effects!

Oh yeah, one other thing to keep in mind...be aware that your inhibitions will be down, and so those potato chips, pretzels, popcorn, chocolate cake or any other carb-laden thing may not "seem so bad at the time!" Drinking can lead to an unintended carb-fest!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:18

Plan: My Way!
Stats: 293/273/250 Female 5'8
BF:too darn much!
Progress: 47%

Just 1 or 2 shots will be good.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I thought were vodka tonics were low carb, I just looked it up and they arent! I guess that goes to show that you can trust what people say. Miller light is the best tasting of the low carb beers. They make low carb margarita mix, so you might be able to find that. Rum and diet coke, or diet sprite isnt that bad. My problem is that after two drinks, I stop caring, and I want to drink something that tastes good. Im currently avoiding the bar for this reason, I had way too many vodka crans on saturday.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:42

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I suggest having a glass of water or non-alcoholic drink in between "real" drinks if you choose to drink. Drinks really hit you hard when you're lc!!!

The Michelob Ultra and Miller light are okay, but I prefer vodka and diet Squirt or diet Sprite.

I tried alternating beers with water last Nov while a bunch of us guys were kicked out of the house for a baby shower.

Heres what I learnt. . .
1. Still caughta good buzz
2. Had to pee alot!!!
3. Earned the nickname - Water Boy
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 10:53

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

Miller lite is LC....and it's pretty cheap.
Tequilla Shots are 100% LC...I follow mine up with some water...to keep me from drinking too much and getting HAMMERED.
Vodka with diet tonic water...also vodka seltzer, most martinis are lc, watch what the mixers are :-)
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-04, 11:01

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

don't drink n drive

i used to be able to gulp down kegs of beer and be able to take in like a dozen shots of tequila before even becoming tipsy BE WARNED that lowcarbing makes you more sensitive to alcohol i feel so ashamed getting drunk with only 3shots and 2beers lol

the good thing is, i spend less at clubs/bars now since i get tipsy so quick hahaha...

on a side note: i'm too shy/scared to dance in clubs without getting tipsy first hahahah