Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Subway - Atkins honey mustard dressing.

I just saw an ad for the new Atkins approved honey mustard dressing from Subway. Anyone try it yet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 13:27
Registered Member

BF:

OK, to answer my own questions I had this for lunch.

The official name is the Chicken and baby spinach salad with Atkins "Sweet as Honey" Mustard dressing. This was the best salad I've had in a long time.

It comes with sliced cold chicken breast, baby spinach, onions, about 2 tablespoons of bacon bits, 2 tablespoons of boiled egg bits and shredded cheese (montery jack?). There is also an optional packet of garlic almond slices and the Atkins dressing. The lady at the counter also threw in a packet of croutons.

Everything combined so well! The dressing is wonderful, sweetened only with splenda (no SA!) and 1 g net carbs per packet. The garlic almonds add a nice ssavory crunch to the meal and offsets the sweetness of the dressing. I'm not fond of onions so I found them a little overpowering. Next time I'll ask for less.

Net carbs for the meal is only 6, and it's a healthy sized serving.

I highly recommend this new salad!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 19:14

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

NEW SALAD ROCKED MY WORLD>>

the dressing is excellent- she threw in an extra pack for me today!! and the salad itself was pretty expensice ($8) but my oh my was it good!! They also microwaved the chicken in the salad, so it was nice and warm..

Hooray for Subway
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 09:02
Registered Member

Stats: 150/127/127 Female 163
BF:
Progress: 100%
Angry Spinach Chicken Salad

I was furious when I left Subway yesterday. I ordered the salad mentioned above. I got a tiny handful of spinach, a very stingy sprinkling of the other ingredients. It didn't even fill up a quarter of the bowl!

I asked the girl to maybe throw in some tomatoes to fill it up. She asked me if I was on Atkins. I said yes ....and (get this) she told me I shouldn't be eating tomatoes then!

After some discussion, I was told Subway told their servers not to put in more than one ounce of spinich (for a $6.99 salad!). They were also given some half-assed brief training on Atkins. They didn't even understand the difference between induction and maintenance.

I used to get my usual chicken salad for about $3.50. They've doubled the price and not increased the size. I see this as gouging people who are trying to follow Atkins.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 09:21

I guess each Subway mus follow different rules, my Subway filled it with SPinach right to the top...then added the scoops of everything....I questioned the girl at the beginning and the manager helped her figure it out... maybe try a different Subway??

Its really too bad they don't all have the same standards.... I know the manager at the location that I go to and she was saying that Atkins is REALLY strict on what they put in, as to not alter the carb content that they are advertising....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 11:21
Registered Member

BF:

I just sent a customer comment to Subway asking for clarification. I'll post the reply when it comes in. I'm curious as well because mine was filled as well, and I want some ammo if someone tries to rip me off in the future.

By the way, take a look at the Subway website. The new salads are right there on the front page, and are brimming over spinach. According to the nutritional data, the spinach salad is the smallest (at 260 gram servings) but it only doesn't get the normal toppings that the other salads do which would account for the lost mass.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 11:46
Registered Member

BF:
Default Subway

Thanks, BigJ. I honestly wouldn't mind paying the $6.99 if they looked at all like they do in the picture!

Mine was so tiny, I actually finished it in about 5 bites.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 12:34
Registered Member

BF:

I went to a different Subway for lunch and got the same salad. Not quite as much spinach this time, but enough to fill up 3/4s of the bowl. I forgot to ask her what the cheat sheet says....

It was still tasty though! I didn't know I liked baby spinach that much. I'll look for spinach when I go shopping next, because I now have 2 extra packets of the dressing.

Can everyone say "screw Subway, I'm making my own!" Good! I knew you could.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 15:37

I got the extra dressing pack to...and today made my very own salad...and it was just as good...I think the dressing is SUPER....

I have been eating the spinach for awhile now and like it alot...much better then lettuce!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 06:40
Registered Member

BF:

Here is the reply that I got from Subway. This is from the Ottawa regional manager, so the Subway website must have sent my comments directly to this guy who responded to me personally. Now that's service! I will tell him that I was asking on behalf of a friend so I don't get any Ottawa managers in trouble.

Moe, you should call up that Subway that ripped you off and get a credit for that salad!

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this concern to our attention. You are correct. There is more than 1 ounce of spinach in the Chicken Spinach Salad. There should be four ounces. Please tell me which store you visited. We will get this problem corrected with the owner. This is a new product and some staff are still confused- obviously. If I could also get your phone number we will get the store owner to contact you and reimburse you for the salad.

Last edited by BigJ : Wed, Mar-31-04 at 06:52.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:09
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you!

Thanks so much for your efforts BigJ! I went to the Subway website and sent them an email. No response yet.

I think I might make a little trip to that Subway and relay the information you have provided. Thanks again.