Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 202/170/135 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress:
Default New to Board, but not to LC

Hello! I'm new to this board. I'm not new to Low Carbing though. I've been on the South Beach diet since November and I'm LOVING it! After baby #2, I was up 60 lbs. I'm lost almost 40! I've got 20 more to go to make it to a healthy weight for my height and and very excited about the fact that I'm probably going to make it. My real goal is 10 lbs less than that (135), but I'm going to be realistic if I get to my healthy weight of 145 and I look good I will start maintenance.

My question is about kitosis. I've read posts to this and other boards where people are very happy about achieving kitosis. On the other hand, I have read articles that kitosis isn't a good thing. It can damage the liver or kidneys, etc. I'm not sure if that metallic taste in my mouth is a good thing. It seems that my body is trying to warn me of something. Should I be happy to be in kitosis, or not??? Or should I have some carbs when I start tasting metal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 12:43

Plan: low carbs and low GI inde
Stats: 225/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:?Don't Wanna Know!
Progress: 67%
Smile ketosis

I can't speak for everyone but I myself have had great success by being in ketosis. I firmly believe it is the reason why my fat is finally taking a hike!

Good Luck and welcome to the site!

#3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 13:01

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 202/170/135 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress:

After I wrote my introduction, I was browsing the boards and went to the War Zone and read some of the info in there that I think will be helpful in answering my question about kitosis. There were some references that I'm going to read up on.

Many people seem to have differing opinions. I know it is working for me too, so I don't really like to question it!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:17

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

COngrats and welcome!!!

I love being in Ketosis! More energy, less hungry except for when the Ol' hag is due.
I feel more positive, more upbeat and happy when I am in Ketosis. Ketosis is fine to be in, people confuse it with
Ketoacidosis: A state in which there is an abnormal accumulation of Ketones, which changes the body's PH to acidic. This usually occurs in diabetics whose Blood sugar is out of control, alcoholics and people in a state of starvation. Ketoacidosis is not to be confused with Ketosis, which is a perfectly normal function of burning Fat for energy.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 15:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. As you've probably read by now, there has never been a documented case of liver or kidney damage due to ketosis. It's one of those myths that refuses to die.

I'm in maintenance, and generally, the closer I am to ketosis, the better I feel.