Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%
Question Cheese Sauce (Atkins friendly) Recipes? Anyone??

Does anyone have any Atkins friendly Cheese sauce recipes? Cheese is fine but I was a cheese SAUCE. Something to use as a dip, to cover burgers, anything like that. I don't cook well and the only recipes I can find start with butter and the dreaded flour.

I have a ton of various cheeses (Kraft shredded cheese, 1 pound bags were on sale for $1.00/each, I got lots!)

I want something spicey with cheese. But I don't want flour.

Wouldn't it be cool to put melted cheese SAUCE on that low carb tortilla before adding fake food such as meat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 14:41
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/General
Stats: 144//135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Carb Options at Ralph's

Hi,

I am new here, so double check on this, but I LOVE Carb Options Double Cheddar Sauce. It has 2g carbs for each 1/4 cup, no sugar carbs. I got it a Ralph's last week for around $4.

Good luck!
Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 14:46
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgavman
Hi,

I am new here, so double check on this, but I LOVE Carb Options Double Cheddar Sauce. It has 2g carbs for each 1/4 cup, no sugar carbs. I got it a Ralph's last week for around $4.

Good luck!
Lisa

I'm not familiar with "Ralph's" ... would that be a chain grocery store? Is this on the shelf or in the fridge?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 400/343.4/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I'd like to know too. I love cheese sauce.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I mix 1-1 1/2 cups heavy cream and 1-2 oz cream cheese in a pan. (Use the smaller amount of cream and more cream cheese if you want it thicker, other way if thinner) Mix until the cream cheese is melted and the cream is bubbly. Mix in a handful of shredded cheese. I use monterey jack. Voila! Cheese sauce!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I make a cheese sauce by melting mozzerella, a little butter and heavy cream with italian seasonings to pour over shredded chicken breast and peppers and it is really good. You could use cheddar, butter, cream and hot pepper to make a spicy cheese sauce. Just experiment with seasonings. Use just a small amount of cream and butter.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 15:27
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
I mix 1-1 1/2 cups heavy cream and 1-2 oz cream cheese in a pan. (Use the smaller amount of cream and more cream cheese if you want it thicker, other way if thinner) Mix until the cream cheese is melted and the cream is bubbly. Mix in a handful of shredded cheese. I use monterey jack. Voila! Cheese sauce!

I'm not a cook. Would a handful be as much as my hand will hold? Or as much as my hand will hold while it is open? Any guess how many tablespoons or what part of a cup that might be?

What is the cream cheese for, flavor? If so, I don't care for cream cheese, is it necessary for texture or something?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 15:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie4Prez
I make a cheese sauce by melting mozzerella, a little butter and heavy cream with italian seasonings to pour over shredded chicken breast and peppers and it is really good. You could use cheddar, butter, cream and hot pepper to make a spicy cheese sauce. Just experiment with seasonings. Use just a small amount of cream and butter.

How much is a small amount? A tablespoon? Half a cup? How much is a little butter?

Remember, my cooking skills stop at my front door and start at Mickey D's. That's why I'm round and can roll just like the smiley.

Last edited by Bipley : Sat, Mar-20-04 at 15:38.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/General
Stats: 144//135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Ralph's is a large chain

I am from Southern California and there's a Ralph's every few blocks here! Hmmm...maybe you could do a search in the Internet for the company, Carb Options, and check to see where it is sold???
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 15:36
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvgavman
I am from Southern California and there's a Ralph's every few blocks here! Hmmm...maybe you could do a search in the Internet for the company, Carb Options, and check to see where it is sold???

I just did that and according to the site my local grocery store sells this product. I looked for cheese sauce products and found nothing that was LC. Where is this stuff? By pasta sauces? Dip for chips? Fridge?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 16:40

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Bipley, I empathise - I too am not a cook

Don't be afraid to just experiment, it's easy to add more cream or cheese if you're not getting the result you want... Cooking for one I use about 2 tablespoons of double cream, warm it up without allowing it to boil and stirring all the time, then add about 1 oz of grated hard cheese and keep stirring until it's all blended in. Then eat it
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 17:24
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

i like the ragu low carb cheddar cheese sauce. it tastes just like the original version.

Here is a recipe for home made:

3/4cup heavy cream
1/3 cup of water
3/4 pound cheddar cheese diced
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika

use a double boiler, or place a bowl in a pan of boiling water, add all ingredients and simmer slowly. stir until smooth and melted.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 17:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270.5/215/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I have a cheese sauce I make that is tasty and easy.

1/4 c sour cream
1/4 c cheddar grated
1/4 c heavy cream

You can do this in the microwave or on the stove. I prefer stove, dump all in a pot and heat.

Microwave:
Stir cheese into sour cream. Microwave 45-60 seconds till hot. Remove, stir in cream and add any seasonings.

I have used fresh pepper, basil or oregano.

5.6g carb for the whole recipe. Stores well in the fridge!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 18:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosey1
i like the ragu low carb cheddar cheese sauce. it tastes just like the original version.

Here is a recipe for home made:

3/4cup heavy cream
1/3 cup of water
3/4 pound cheddar cheese diced
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika

use a double boiler, or place a bowl in a pan of boiling water, add all ingredients and simmer slowly. stir until smooth and melted.

MUSTARD! That's the key! I tried to experiment a bit and I used heavy cream, butter (too much, blahh) and cheese. I tried it and it was missing something so I added just a few drops of soy sauce. ACK! Wrong move. I added a few slices of raw potato to absorb the salty flavor and it worked. (I took them out after a few minutes)

I tried adding Italian spices, onion powder, and garlic powder. It was okay, but I want to try it again.

Next time I think I'll use the same cream, less butter, medium cheddar, and mustard. I really do think Mustard is the key for this one.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 21:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

You can find the Carb Options cheese sauce in the pasta sauce section of your store - it is made by Ragu so it should be available nationwide. Tastes good