Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 231/212/185 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 41%
Talking Maltitol giving me gas and watery bowl movement

I bought the gummy bears low carb candy the other day, after i ate one bag i started to get theses cramps in the stomach, then gas then i add to go to the toilet in a rush, well you know what for.

I talked to this women that low carbs here and she says she gets pertty much the gas effect when she eats low carb chocolat but not has sever has me.

Got me thinking is that maltitol safe or dangerous? i mean anything that give you watery bowl movement like that cant be good for health?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Malitol is one of many sugar alcohols which diabetics and dieters use because it doesn't cause an increase in blood glucose. Basically anything ending in "ol" like Malitol, sorbitol, xylitol, lactitol is a sugar alcohol. And they ALL have intestinal effects, some more than others. In fact, if you look at the bag your gummy bears came in it should warn you that if you eat too many you might get diarrhea.

Some people are more sensitive than others. My sister swears that if she takes 4 beano tablets with sugar alcohol she can avoid the gassyness. I turn into a methane generation facility after eating 1/5th of a "serving" of SF chocolate.

The reason it does do that to your bowels is because it doesn't get digested until it reaches your intestines, versus your stomach for other sugars. As far as I know, it is perfectly harmless, except to your nasal passages, unless you over do it to the point of diarrhea.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

They are perscribed as laxatives. Even a small amount such as in the Atkins icecream bars can have me doubled over in pain. Walmart had a sugar free lemon mirangue pie with something like 42g of malitol per serving. That made my tummy hurt just reading the nutritional info.

Make your own sweet treats at home just using splenda or stevia and leave the sugar alcohols alone. They stall many people anyway
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

My wife can always tell when I have some SF chocolates .
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 17:19

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 200/164/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 51%

I remember overdoing it on sugar-free chocolate before and going through the same thing! Never again! I don't eat any of that sugar-free stuff. No candy, desserts, nothing. The only thing I'll use is sweetener in my coffee or have a diet soda once in awhile.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 17:38
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

There is a new sf chocolate out, I think called Z Carb. It is made with polydextrose and eurythitol. All the 12 carbs but 4 grams are fiber, and there are no impact carbs, so I think there are only 4 sugar alcohols. I ate 2 of them back to back the other day and had no reaction at all.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 00:34

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sf candies and chocolate have no effect on me but the one time I had cauliflower "rice" I was affected big time. Prunes also have no effect on me.

Everybody is different,
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 00:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Did you happen to eat Carbolite gummy bears? I ate them last week and I had the worst stomach problems! My stomach cramped almost all day...plus the explosive bowel stuff. It was horrible. I don't have problems with other products with malitol, so I'm thinking it's just the gummy bears or Carbolite products. The Russell Stovers lc candies are good...I think they have malitol, but they don't bother me.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 15:59

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

The only think I really eat with sugar alcohols is Carb Smart ice cream maybe once a week and it doesnt' seem to bother me.

Once I ate a LC Pria Bar and whoa! My friend at work calls those Malitol Moments!!! Hee Hee!

Wee
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, general lc
Stats: 219/183/145 Female 5'3 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I had the sugar free gummi bears one day about 3 months ago. Well, I over indulged and then went to work the evening shift at the hospital. I was doubled over in pain and had such bad gas that I had to go home. I then spent 7 hours running back and forth from the couch to the bathroom!!!! I will NEVER touch those things again!!!! WOW it was bad. Believe me folks, its not worth it!! LOL
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 17:40
«º°¤§µgä&§pïcꤰº»

Plan: LC Paleo/IF
Stats: 185/161/142 Female 66 inches (5'6")
BF:All over
Progress: 56%

Yeah I stay away from maltitol. The only chocolates I eat now with no probs. are Zcarb bars and the At Last bars...made with splenda and Erythritol.

Quote:
Several clinical studies conducted in Europe and Japan have shown that more than 90% of ingested erythritol is absorbed and excreted unchanged in urine within a 24-hour period. This digestive pathway allows less than 5% of ingested erythritol to reach the large intestine and be fermented into volatile fatty acids or metabolized into carbon dioxide. As a result, foods containing substantial amounts of erythritol are very unlikely to cause gaseous and laxation side effects.

I find mine at Rite Aid, CVS or Duane Reade.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 18:13

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I
Quote:
bought the gummy bears low carb candy the other day, after i ate one bag i started to get theses cramps in the stomach, then gas then i add to go to the toilet in a rush, well you know what for.

IIRC, one bag of CarboLite gummy bears is 2 or 3 servings and they have a lot more sugar alcohols than other sugar-free candies. That was quite a bit of sugar alcohol you got there!
Everyone's different but anything over 10 grams of sugar alcohol in one day (effects seem to be cumulative with me) will have me producing more gas than Exxon!

Edited to add: Just checked the CarboLite gummy bear information online. One bag is 2 servings and each serving has 30 grams of sugar alcohol in it (Maltitol syrup)...YIKES! 60 grams of Maltitol would have sent me to ER for emergency decompression (if I didn't explode on the way there!).

Last edited by Lisa N : Mon, Mar-22-04 at 18:20.