Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default LA Daily News on Berries

Berry, berry good for you
By Mariko Thompson

Sunday, March 14, 2004 -

Compared to the mundane banana or the ubiquitous apple, getting people to eat berries has never been a tough sell. Their summery sweetness makes them an irresistible snack. Their brilliant colors provide the perfect accent to any culinary presentation. And they're easy to incorporate into breakfast, lunch or dinner.

It hardly seems fair to their fruit and vegetable brethren that there could be more to berries' appeal.

Yet health benefits alone should find berries a place on your shopping list. Berries are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals. What's really earned berries a following among nutrition experts are those deep purple, blue and red pigments containing potent disease-fighting antioxidants.

Dr. Steven Pratt counts blueberries among the 14 powerhouse foods in his book, "SuperFoods Rx.' Pratt is a fan of all berries. But he elevated blueberries because they're readily available and have been the subject of solid scientific research.

"There's enough research to put blueberries on the pedestal compared to other berries,' says Pratt, an ophthalmologist at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla. "The synergy of hundreds of different known and unknown nutrients and phytochemicals make them a powerful food to prevent disease.'

Critics excoriate low-carb diet plans for eliminating many fruits. But berries get the thumbs-up from the low-carb Atkins diet as well. As the fruit lowest in carbs, the berry is an important component of the Atkins approach, says Colette Heimowitz, vice president of education and research for the Atkins Health and Medical Information Service. After a two-week induction phase, berries are added back to the diet, she says.

"The whole principle behind controlling carb consumption is to avoid spikes in blood sugar from high-carb food,' Heimowitz says. "Berries offer all of the health benefits of fruit without the high-carb or high-glycemic load.'

Though nutrition experts laud the berry, they also warn that there are no miracle foods. The idea behind books like "SuperFoods' is to tilt eating habits toward foods packing the greatest nutritional punch as a safeguard against disease. Eating foods high in antioxidants may protect the body against unstable oxygen molecules called free radicals. These molecules can cause cell damage, which may contribute to chronic diseases, including heart disease and cancer.

On a test developed by USDA scientists at Tufts University in Boston to measure antioxidant levels, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and raspberries scored highest among fresh fruits. Berries contain anthocyanins and ellagic acid, both cancer-fighting compounds. They're high in vitamin C, an antioxidant that lowers the risk of heart disease, stroke and certain cancers, says Bettye Nowlin, a registered dietitian and Calabasas-based spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

In addition to antioxidants, berries are rich in a soluble fiber called pectin, which helps reduce the bad form of cholesterol. Many berries also contain potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure, she says.

Berries come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors. While they share common health benefits, each berry retains unique qualities, Nowlin says.

Blueberries have the highest level of antioxidants compared to other berries. Studies suggest that the nutrients in blueberries may help maintain memory, healthy skin, and eyes.

It's not an old-wives tale. Cranberries really do help prevent urinary tract infections. Certain phytochemicals in cranberries appear to prevent bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract. This anti-adhesive property also may prevent the development of certain types of ulcers and periodontal disease.

Among the berries, strawberries offer the highest levels of vitamin C. Eight medium-sized strawberries provide 160 percent of the recommended daily allowance.

Blackberries contain folate, which helps to prevent certain birth defects as well as certain cancers and heart disease. Blackberries also provide iron, which is vital for the production of hemoglobin.

To get the health benefits, it doesn't matter if berries are fresh, frozen, canned or dried, says Janie Hibler, author of the "The Berry Bible,' to be published in April. Hibler, a Portland resident who collects wild berries on hikes, has found 175 different ways to cook with them. Her recipes include a blackberry smoothie, a raspberry and lime soup, a salad with tenderloin pork and warm strawberry dressing, and a strawberry-rhubarb pie.

"People can eat berries year-round,' she says. "Not just in the summer, and not just for dessert.'
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 10:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Fresh berries are extremely expensive where I live. Like about 10.00 a pound. Except for strawberries. However, I do use a lot of frozen berries.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Raspberries and blueberries are much cheaper then I ever thought. The portion size is the key.
And if I go to Global Market not local store they are even more reasonable.
And fresh lemons and limes add vitamins without excess carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 15:11
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Berries were the first thing I added back to my diet after induction. They are so colorful and refreshing, even in small portion sizes. I'm not much of a veggie eater, so the berries help out a lot. I, too, have been using a lot of frozen berries. I'm hoping that when summer rolls around, the price of the fresh berries will drop. YUMMMM!