Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 14:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 334/240/190 Male 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Low carb breads?

Right now I am battling with my urge to drink beer, Its one of the great loves of my life but I have been able to pretty much give it up and am on the verge of phasing it out for good. I know what your saying, what does this have to do with low carb bread? well I use the beer as an example because I know I shouldent drink it but do sometimes anyway and I know that is hurts my weight loss but I was wondering about things such as Low carb breads...do they do the same?

I just recently bought a loaf of low carb bread and made a sandwich. Total for two slices it was 8g carbs and it says its "multi-grain" bread. Well I was wondering does eating this bread give me a bread fix that I crave but slow down my weight loss even though it is "Low-Carb" and I am under my daily carb limit? I hope this question makes sense to someone out there.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 14:38

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

All I can give you is my own personal experience with low carb bread.

For me it was scary. I've had 2 slices since I began 8 weeks ago. The day I ate them (and they only had 3 net carbs each) my body screamed "thank you thank you" at me and then preceeded to scream "More?" for the next week. I was unprepared for how ferocious the craving for bread would be.

I packed the loaf away in the freezer for another time.

Not everyone will feel this I'm sure. I have no sweet tooth so I don't get in the grip of the chocolate demon but bread, pasta, rice were and I would say, still very much are, my downfall.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 14:43

Plan: Atkins, Perricone, my own
Stats: 157/144/120 Female 5 feet 1 1/2 inches
BF:do/nt/no
Progress: 35%

I have the same cravings as you and toning up. I avoided the bread for 4 weeks of imporperly doing induction. I'm on day 4 of a new induction and I don't dare touch the 4 carb bread my husband eats (1 slice of toast at breakfast). My personal experience has a serious emphasis on CALORIES and then CARBS in that order. I cannot even eat 20 carbs a day because I max out on calories.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 14:48
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I would rather endulge in a slice of fresh baked french bread once a year, than eat LC bread daily. LC bread brings back cravings for me the same as *regular* varieties, so I do my best to avoid them.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 14:54

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

breads are my downfall too so I am just avoiding them like the plague hehe

Maybe when I am down closer to my weight...but right now I am really enjoying learning to taste my food instead of hide it in bread!! its a new expierence to me )
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 14:56

BF:

Thanks for the responses. I decided I will try and limit the Low-Carb bread intake to maybe two slices a week. My other weakness is chili dogs and I happened to pick up low carb hotdog buns too...oh crap hah. But seriously this will be a good test of wills to see if I can stick to eating one or two hotdogs on low carb buns maybe once every two months or so.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:03

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Good Luck!!! I'm glad I found this thread because I can't even keep the low carb bread in my house. Just like toning_up I had a slice and my entire body was like: MORE NOW! For me it's not worth the craving...one suggestion about the hotdog buns...make sure you freeze them. This way you'll have to defrost before you overindulge...a couple of extra seconds to think about it might help you avoid a serious binge.

Jenn
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:04

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I have the same reaction to raisin bread. The Sunmaid stuff. There must be crack in it or something, because i can NEVER eat just a slice or two. And honestly I could easily eat a whole loaf in a day!

Solution: never, ever buy it. Problem solved.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:17

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Ok, either only those with issues with the LC bread chose to reply here or I am the only odd one who has not had a problem with it. I never crave it and eat it just for the convenience, perhaps twice a month. Even when eating two slices in one day, I've never wanted more. I focus too much on the peculiar aftertaste (soy, I think) that I detect as well as the strange texture. For those reasons, it's a convenience rather than something I want to eat frequently.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:29
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I like the Atkins whole grain bread and it doesn't cause me to have cravings.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:39
Registered Member

Stats: 160/156/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 16%

I eat low carb bread too without any problems. I am on maintanence now though so maybe that's why. I did notice that for the first 6 months or so of this WOL anything that was remotely similar to my old way of eating caused huge cravings. Now I don't even think about it (except the odd time when I go crazy and eat sugar! That's another story.)
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 20:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have my Lc bread in the freezer. I like it, but it seems I am in the habit of not eating bread. If I keep Lc bread out it molds fast.

I was eating more for a while once I found a decent brand. P reviously all I could find was a herb flavored bread that had to be kept in the freezer and was about 1/2 the size of regular bread. Now I like atkins and the safeway brand.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:45

BF:

I guess I should clarify what I mean by LC bread. Its not the trash that comes from baking atkins bake mix but Multi-grain bread. Dont think there is any soy in it. Its only 4g per slice but the fact that its not soy kinda freaked me out. The only soy product I like so far is Genisoy's Tortilla chips. Whoever over at atkins came up with those cruncher things should be smacked.

I dont seem to have a problem with cravings but I am worried that since the bread, while low in carbs, is made of something other then soy gluten or what not that it might hinder my weight loss. It doesnt say it has any white flour in it but who knows these days. Seems like white flour is in everything.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins, baby!!
Stats: 454/140/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 103%

i have chili dogs all the time!! just go bunless!!! i know its not exactly the same, but it sure is good eats!!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:00

BF:

I do that too...its good but still seems wrong