Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 11:46

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 306/298/160 Female 5', 5"
BF:BMI: 49.2/49.2/24
Progress: 5%
Talking Soon2BSlim's Sweat-filled Saga

I thought that since I'm working out at least 4 times a week now (p.e. classes in school) that I should start keeping track of the information.

I've learned that my target heart range is 150 - 170 (for a heavy cardiovascular work-out). So, I thought I would treat myself (even though I'm a "starving student" and have no money - hee hee) - I went out and bought a heart rate monitor watch. This thing is great - and I'm really excited to have it.

Some beginning stats (these are tests that I did with my Circuit Training Class):
RHR (resting heart rate): 80 bpm
Exercise Pulse Rate: 170 bpm

1 Min. Exercises:
Sit-ups: 76 – (170 hr)
Push-ups: 22 – (160 hr)
Jump rope: 107 – (170 hr)

I started working out this past Monday for school:

2-23 - Yoga class. We were working mainly on posture in the poses - but it definitely hurt (because the instructor would have us hold the poses for a looooong time). My thighs were weak and tender by the end of the class.

2-24 - Circuit Training Class. We "ran" a mile yesterday. When I say "ran" - I mean mostly walked - haha. I'm not in any shape (yet) to physically "run" a mile. But - as embarrassing as they are, here are my stats:
1 mile: 14:14 (14 minutes, 14 seconds)
Ave. HR (heart rate): 172 bpm
In Zone: 3:30

So - essentially, I was a little high on the THR (Target Heart Range) this time - and I was in my THR Zone for 3 minutes and 30 seconds out of the 14:14. That will improve - it will just take some time.

Yesterday I got a headache - I think it might have been from dehydration. I would love to be able to run breathing only through my nose (helps keep me hydrated) - but it's really just not possible right now. I also felt a tiny bit nauseous – but I think that might be because I really didn’t eat anything before we did the mile – and I started back up on induction yesterday as well.

As for how I'm feeling today - my legs (thighs mainly) are really stiff today - and very tender. I'm really hoping that Yoga will focus on some poses that aren't all leg related. My back is also a little tender - but not really bad at all. I’m starving – and feel a tiny bit queasy – but I’m sure that’s just because I haven’t eaten yet this morning.

Ok – I’m off to eat and go to school.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 18:29

Ok - had Yoga class today - how am I feeling now???? Great mentally - HORRIBLE physically. Ugh - I honestly think I might not be able to walk tomorrow - and I have circuit training - I'm hoping I can talk with Maggie (Circuit Trainer) and see if I can focus on my arms instead of my legs. I'm seriously in pain!!! Think I'll take a hot bath and see if that helps at all.

Here were my stats for Yoga:
Length of Class: 1:07:54
Ave. HR: 105 bpm

Obviously the HR. is slower than my goal - but It's still pretty good. Yoga probably won't ever really get me into the 150 to 170 for any sustained time - but I'm not sure. Once I start to get used to this program, I plan on going for a 1/2 hour walk after each Yoga class - for a cardiovascular workout. I just can't even imagine doing that right now though - I think it's going to take a few weeks.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 00:16

Today was Circuit Training - we did a set of exercises with jumping rope, push-ups, sit-ups, jumping-jacks - then we all got to dance around the room for a few minutes (we all liked that one) haha. Then we did the machines for about 45 minutes. The workout felt really good - and I still felt the burn.

I took a long hot bath last night - and I really think that helped with my thighs and hips hurting so much. Today they're still tender, but I'm not waddling around in pain. Maybe I'm starting to finally build muscle!!! woo hoo! hee hee

Here are my stats for today:
Class Length: 1:27:33
Ave. HR: 135 bpm
In Zone: 18:09

Not too bad - I think my ave. hr is lower because there were a few times where she would have us stop to cool down a little. I feel good about everything though - I'm excited to have a couple days off - but I was also contemplating taking a Yoga class this Saturday with a really great instructor. I guess we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

G'nite!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 15:04

I went to Yoga yesterday with my sister. Felt great, but my legs were still a little weak from all the working out this past week. I got a migraine on Friday - and I wound up throwing up - so I didn't eat at all on Friday, and I wasn't able to eat before Yoga - so I think that probably made the workout a lot more difficult than it normally would have been.

I forgot to take my heart rate monitor with me, but the class is about 1 1/2 hours long.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 18:37

Yoga class today - it was a fairly mellow class - we worked on our poses and posture and did some upside down poses today. It wasn't increadibly strenuous - so it was nice and relaxing. Definitely made me feel "centered".

Class Length: 1:10:13
Ave. HR: 94 bpm
In Zone: 00:00
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 23:20

Circuit Training today - we ran a mile and then we did the circuit. She didn't time our mile - so I don't know how I did...but here are my overall stats:

Class Length: 1:24:15
Ave. HR: 156 bpm
In Zone: 31:55

Not bad being in the zone for 31:55 - woo hoo - things are getting better. My left hip is a little sore after all the working out - I hope it's not too bad tomorrow. Maybe the yoga will help stretch it out.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 00:45

Been continually doing Yoga on Mondays and Wednesdays, and Circuit Training on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I did the mile yesterday (on my own free will) - after my Yoga class - I ran it in 13:39. I also ran 1/4 of a mile without stopping (that's a huge difference from not even being able to run 1/8 of a mile before)
Stats for Wed:
Mile: 13:39
Total Workout Time: 18:24
Ave. HR: 164bpm
In Zone: 9:35

We also ran it in circuit training today - I ran farther and faster today - did the mile in 12:45 (WOO HOO) It's exciting to have cut off 1 1/2 minutes from your time. We also did bleachers today (running up and down the stairs) - I did them 5 times - oh man, that hurt!!!
Today's Stats:
Mile: 12:45
Class Length: 1:20:38
Ave. HR: 143 bpm
In Zone: 12:30

I'm feeling good and positive about the working out - I just need to keep it up (however, I have to say, I think I'm starting to get addicted to it - hee hee - I never thought I would say that)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-05, 11:38

I need to start working out again. I'm thinking about popping in my Pilates videos again - those things get my body toned so quickly.

hee hee Maybe I should stop "thinking" about doing it and just do it.