Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/140/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Atkins under fire

I recently ordered the Slim in Six series of dvds and the workout is great and the support on the message boards is incredible. However in the newsletter I got in my email this morning this subject was first. This was their insert:

[The most popular diet on the market today, Atkins, has come under fire recently in the major press. This is nothing new to members of the Beachbody Message Boards community, as we've been critical of this diet from the get-go. But the mainstream has been slow to scrutinize, perhaps wowed by the "all you can eat" lifestyle the diet seems to promote. The recent death of its founder, Dr. Robert Atkins, has spurred the media to take another look, which has uncovered some rather alarming facts and caused a major backtrack in the company's philosophy.
Last week, most major publications ran articles revealing that Atkins himself was obese, a fact that no one seemed to care much about while he was living. This story originated in The Wall Street Journal, which cited a report by the New York City medical examiner which stated that before his death, Atkins had suffered a heart attack, congestive heart failure, and hypertension. At 6 feet tall, he weighed 258 pounds, which is considered obese by his own definition.
The Atkins Physicians Council in New York was quick to say the examiner's report was false, claiming that Atkins' heart problems were due to cardiomyopathy, a condition thought to stem from a viral infection. His wife, Veronica Atkins, told the WSJ: "I have been assured by my husband's physicians that my husband's health problems late in life were completely unrelated to his diet, or any diet."
However, the fact that another Atkins revelation surfaced in the press just a few weeks prior lends an air of "smoke screen" to this report. Back in January, The New York Times reported that Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. was advising its clients to limit their intake of saturated fats by cutting back on their former staples: meat, cheese, and butter. This advice contradicts Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, first published in 1992, which states that beef, pork, lamb, and butter are "foods you may eat liberally."
According to The Times, Colette Heimowitz, director of research and education at Atkins, now says saturated fats should account for no more than 20% of their clients' calories.]

I'm rather disturbed by this misinformation on thier part and that they spread it so easily to their members, some of which (like me) are surely low carbing. I understand they have their own system and products to sell but I don't see the need to attack others. It's a shame that my exersise program is so violently opposed to my diet. Though I'm enjoying the workout and the discipline it takes to complete the program I'm thinking I should return the product and perhaps go with something different like the Firm that apparently isn't so critical of this WOE. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:22
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%

I think it would be a strong statement to them if you did! I like the idea. If you choose to do so, be sure to tell them why you are doing so.

Valerie
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:44

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

They would most definitely hear from me, if I were in that situation.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 08:48
Registered Member

Stats: 213/193/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If you like the workout, continue. But certainly let them know your feelings. That's important.

I really believe, that when all is said and done. Dr. Atkins will be vindicated...we're in the middle of a massive change in dietary habits in this country.....and change doesn't come easy. But it most certainly will

Just hang on! And let go of the weight!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:00

Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

Nothing hurts sales of your publication more than the truth.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:19

Plan: OWL - Induction Carbs
Stats: 385/321/225 Male 75 inches
BF:BMI 48.1/40.1/28.1
Progress: 40%

I would ask for a refund and let your wallet do the talking. Crap like this just burns me up.

JFF
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 20:17
Registered Member

Stats: 194/140/130 Female 5'3"
BF:

These people drive me nuts, this was the advice I got from my little tirade.

[I have read a lot about Adkins and even their own staff say that it is not good to stay on the diet for more than 2 months. Use it to get started with weight loss but the cholesterol level is not good for you over the long haul.

You might look into the South Beach Diet. It seems to be similar to Adkins but you are allowed to eat more of the "good" carbs.]

I did post a explanation the two studies of the New England Journal of Medicine about the choresterol thing, but since it's a moderated forum they apparently decided not to post it
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 07:33

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Veronica Atkins Vows Revenge

Quote:
Widow of Atkins Diet Guru Vows Revenge on Critics

By Mark Sage, PA News, in New York

The widow of diet pioneer Dr Robert Atkins has vowed to go after anyone who criticises the life or work of her late husband.

After a series of attacks – the most recent being that the slimming guru was obese when he died – Veronica Atkins said she had finally had enough.

“If anybody attacks Bobby, God help them,” said Mrs Atkins.

“I will not allow them to persecute Bobby any longer. He doesn’t deserve it.

“Thank God I have the wherewithal to do it,”
she said.

Mrs Atkins admitted that she was “depressed” since her husband died in a fall on an icy pavement in New York City last year.

But she has thrown herself into working towards her husband’s dream.

Since his death, Dr Atkins’ low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet has become increasingly popular, winning a string of celebrity endorsements.

It has revolutionised eating habits. Many restaurants now offer low-carb menus and bread sales slumped so much in the United States last year that food manufacturers started baking low-carb loaves.

There is now even a less starchy version of the the famous New York bagel.

“It’s tragic that Bobby’s not here for this,” Mrs Atkins said in the current edition of New York magazine.

Despite the popularity of Atkins, some scientists have criticised it as promoting a high-fat diet.

Diets rich in red meat are also believed to be behind colon cancer and high cholesterol levels, which can lead to heart attacks and strokes.

But after Atkins Nutritionals sold for more than £250 million in October last year, Mrs Atkins decided to put nearly £30 million into research.

“I’ll beat them through research,” she said.

The most recent, and by far most personal attack, on Dr Atkins came last month when a group of physicians opposed to the Atkins diet revealed that he was overweight when he died.

The Physicians’ Committee for Responsible Medicine provided medical notes showing that Dr Atkins was 18 stone when he died – making him clinically obese.

His wife said a medical condition caused him to retain fluid when he was in a coma, after his fall, explaining major weight gain in the days before his death.

She called her husband’s opponents “nasty people”.

“Why won’t they leave him alone and let me grieve in peace?” she said.

This is interesting. She clearly intends to sue Dr. Fleming and probably PCRM. And she has "the wherewithal to do it."