Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:10

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 272/247/150 Female 69 inches
BF:40.2%/36.5%/22.1%
Progress: 20%
Unhappy A bit discouraged, but more confused

Hi all. I've been reading as much as I can and I wanted to let you know how happy I am to have found such a helpful and enthusiastic group! Even with all I've read, I think I need to ask a few questions.

I started out on a Protein Power plan on Jan. 1, '04 (nothing like resolutions, huh!). Initially I lost about 13 pounds in 2 weeks, a lot of which may have been water, but I am now up to 22 pounds lost (as long as I don't get on the scale before bed, in which case I'm up nearly 8-10##!!- but back down in the morning!) Now, I've very pleased to have lost this amount, but it comes off achingly slow- I think I've been at 250/252 now for 3 weeks, which is very frustrating. I just found fitday, and started keeping track there on Monday, but I had been keeping a food journal before that (but didn't feel comfie going in and back-entering some things, as I'm not convinced it would be totally accurate). I do a Kathy Smith aerobics w/weights 2-3 times a week for about 35-40 min (improving!), and I walk whenever I can. I started keeping measurement track a few weeks ago, but no changes there or in my clothes (since the beginning, actually, which is odd!)

On to my questions:
I hadn't counted fat before, just tried to stick with lean meats and fish. I was very suprised to see that my fat is about equaling my protein on a daily basis! (Coming from a low fat life that left me fatter, you can imagine my shock to see the numbers so high!) My carbs have all been well below 30 net per day, I have a diet soda in the am, but have been cutting back on volume. My protein requirement is 70g/day. I'm eating about 140-150! I'm hoping this is okay! My calories, however, have remained under 1500, and I've read that can cause the starvation response (which my body has probably been in for the last 10 years). I can't eat more than I am (not having any fullness issues), so I am concerned about not getting enough calories, but am also concerned about getting too many. I don't think when you have been a long-time "watcher" on consistently below 1500cal/day, your basal rate works properly, and you actually burn the 3000/day that fitday says I burn to maintain. Calories in/out, I should have always been losing, but it's not the case. Especially since I am forcing myself to be more and more active again, which burns more, and...
So, I am reducing my fat a little (most was coming from Caesar dressing, and I have found one that moves me from 1 to 2 carbs, but reduces fat by 10g!), and I am concerned that I'll get too few calories.
I feel great, miss the occasional beer (I had two a week ago- anyone have the carb count for Guinness?), but am concerned about:
Not enough calories,
No weight loss,
No measurement change
And I have never been in verifyable ketosis! (Some WEEKS my daily carb intake was well below 20g/day!), but those strips never change color. I drink copiuos amounts of water though.
Lastly, when you consider a "cup" of spinach or other leafy green, can you lightly pack it into the cup?? I'm not smushing it, but I'd be hard pressed to get any real salad out of loose packed greens!
Also, I've had no breads, pastas or grains other than a low-carb tortilla available from GNC or as one of the Subway wraps. Almost all my carb comes from veggies, dressing (or Miracle Whip), or the 1 TB of peanut butter I have as a treat in the evening with (in the last week) coco powder.

Thoughts, suggestions, critiques? I'm anxiously waiting for the "losing trend" I hear comes with sticking to this plan. Yes, I want to lose fat, but I really feel much better too. I would just like to see some newer progress, seems I've hit a stall? I'd be dancing in the streets for 1-2#/week! I'm publishing my stuff on fitday if anyone want to take a look!! (User is SusanVanA) Thanks in advance, you all rock!

Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:16

Default My fitday account link

Like I said, not too much there yet, but:
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...Owner=SusanVanA
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:45

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Well, your calories yesterday were insufficient. At 1096 your body will go into starvation mode, slow down your metabolism and you won't lose a thing.
The day before wasn't much better at 1370 and the day before that at 809 (if you really filled everything in) is very bad.

I'd say you're starving yourself and your body is fighting back. That's why you're not losing.

What's with the 'WS Hot Chocolate Shavings' at 6g! Can't you get pure cocoa powder in the USA?

Really I think you need to

1. Up the fats.
2. Cut out some of the empty carb items.
3. Eat more.

Don't be confused by fitday by the way. It counts 9 calories for each gram of fat but only 4 for protein and carbs.

There are various low carb beers available - you don't have to go without - I don't!

It looks to me like you are fighting your body not going with it. See what others have to say and amke some changes based on the concensus opinion.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:54
Out of service...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Susan!
First of all, congrats on you losing 22 lbs! That is great, and also good for you for coming for answers and not giving up hope!
I looked at your fitday, and it says 32oz water... you'll find plenty of people here who are drinking WAY more than that... I myself drink usually about 3 litres of water a day. 32oz would leave me dehydrated, you should increase it, I believe 48oz is the minimum recommended. Don't count ANY other beverages, even if you made them with water (ie tea) towards your total. Diet pepsi may also be contributing, there are alot of people who react the same was to artificial sweeteners as sugar, and you are drinking quite alot of it. Cut it right out, and slowly reintroduce and see how your body reacts. Also, you need to just deprogram yourself from your low fat training... you aren't eating too much at all. You should be at about 70% fat, and looks like you're about 50% right now. I didn't look to see if you've read DANDR, but if you haven't, make sure you do. Dr A was very adamant that if you try to do low carb in a low fat way, it won't work. Try eating chicken with skin on, instead of the skinless. It's cheaper, tastier, and contrary to what every cell in your brain will be screaming at you as you eat it, it will help you lose weight!
I also noticed you said you're having some pb as a snack at night... may I suggest that you stop eating after dinner? You'd be amazed at how much this can help you. Also, you may want to consider switching from commercial peanut butter to natural, because you will want to avoid trans & hydrogenated fats, they are very very bad for you.
I hope this helps a bit, and hopefully some of the more knowledgable members will offer more suggestions! You are really doing very well, keep up the great work!!

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 15:21

Thanks to both of you for the input!

I am terrible about recording my water intake, I don't think that it has ever been accurate. I usually drink about 4 pint glasses in the evening when I am home, some with dinner and then throughout the evening (more if I exercise). During the day at work I usually manage 4-5 as well. I'll update that to be more accurate. I'm also cutting waaayyy back on the diet soda. I usually had a 44oz (1/2 of which was ice) in the am. Cut back to a 20oz bottle this morning then water the rest of the way out, and no one has died. Bit of a headache, but I'm sure caffeine w/d will do that to you.

The chocolate shavings are overestimated (which I prefer to under!), and are likely the result of it being that fun, overly-hormonal time of the month. I can usually avoid the chocolate just fine. Yes, we have cocoa powder, but this tastes a bit better. I'll be dropping it though in favor of a piece of small fruit (it hit the trash this morning before I left the house!). Blood oranges are in season, so I should be able to have half a day and still stay quite low on net carbs. I'll look into the natual PB. The 'natual' label will probably keep my roomie from eating it as well!

I was actually concerned that I was too high in % fat & not a comparable amount of protein. I am eating till full, I feel sated. I'll try to add more meat or an egg snack to up the cal/fat/pro. I'm also trying to up the meat portion sizes a bit to up calories, but I've been better about stopping eating when full. I hate that over-full feeling! Monday at <900 cals was not good I know...just rough day at work and I skipped lunch without realising it.

I'll also add the skin back to my chicken. I'm not big into fatty meats- probably all those years without, so the greasy parts have a gross-out factor.

I know that PP plans forcus on a minimum protein, and I was busy making sure I got that- I just didn't realise till I started fitday that I ate so much protein! And I thought that one g pro = 7 cal? I didn't realise that fitday didn't do that. So my calories each day are a little higher then, correct? What are the number of cals per g of carb? I have to go dig out my book! I'll be interested to see my food intake over time.

Thanks for the help!!
Susan