Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/131/105 Female 5'3
BF:???
Progress: 30%
Default Curious about doing Atkins for the second time around...

Is it harder to lose the weight the second time?

Is induction as easy? Will the weight come off as fast?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 18:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

O.K. I'm probably not the best person to answer this, because my first time was 30 years ago. I lost weight then, and I lost weight this time. Must admit I didn't have as much to lose back then. However, it's worked pretty well for me so far!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 19:38

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I don't know about the weight loss part, but I definitely find it easier. I did it a few years ago and lost some weight but didn't keep it off and didn't stick to it for very long. This time there's much more support (like this place), more low carb foods around, and it seems to be much easier now.

Squid
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:52

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 185/185/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

I'm on Atkins for the 2nd time, and it isn't working for me. Lost 60 lbs a year ago, put 40 back on. I've been on indcution for 4 weeks now, and have gained a pound.
Frusrated and about to try something else.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:53

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I am back after gaining 40 pounds back. I lost more on induction this time than I did the first time around. I think it is because I understood induction better and did a better job with it. It is easier for me this time around, as I just know how to do it almost automatically.

Orchid
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 00:00

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

hi,
i have a question for you two, about gaining weight back. the critics of Atkins usually say that people gain the weight back and more-- is this true then? I'm getting scared now.... how did you gain it back? Any advice for going off atkins--because, i might be in asia this summer and might have to eat the asian diet (rice, veggies)?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 04:20
Registered Member

Stats: 215/158/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I was on Atkins back in the early 70's when it first hit.. It worked great, but it got boring.. LOL.. His new book is great.. Not so many rules as the earlier book.. It must work too, since I've lost 65 pounds since the end of Aug..

Trusty... You cannot go off Atkins.. It is a way of life eating,. You can add things back graduallly but only the healthy things.. Have the good veggies and eat rice in moderation... Brown rice if you have a choice or wild..
Be sure to pick the right fruits too.. Berries, grapefruit or any of the other low carb fruits.. Don't forget nuts!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 05:43

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

When I first tried Atkins I only lost 4 pounds on the Induction Diet and quit. Hubby lost about 20. I realized years later when I read the book again that I didn't fully understand the methodology at all. Plus I think I ate honey ham through induction and, of course, that wouldn't work!

This time, I understand that instead of choosing as my diet foods like potatoes, cakes, cookies, endless sugary stuff among the healthy foods I used to eat, I now make better choices. Because I know what makes me fat. And when I have to have sweets, I choose sf stuff like Russell Stover or make something sweetened with splenda that I find satisfies those urges. Sometimes I binge but it's on sf lc stuff and I don't gain weight. I'm still amazed at this! But this woe works -- you just have to understand why and that comes from reading DANDR and checking in here.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 06:25

Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I'm finding that it is a much slower process the second time around. I gained some over the holidays just with a few "cheats" and gained back instantly. Its coming off very slowly now.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 10:23

Stats: 235/220/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi
I've been lurking here and never posted (I have learned so much from all of you!) but I had to tell you that this has been much harder for me the 2nd time around. I started Atkins in Aug 03 quickly lost 10 lbs. and until December had lost 20 lbs. I decided to go off of it for the holidays. 3 weeks. BIGGEST mistake I could've ever made. I gained back 10 lbs in those 3 weeks. I started induction on January 3 and have only lost 5 of the 10 I gained. It is very very slow. Induction was harder to do this time around as well. The cravings were far more intense for me and the psychological aspect of not losing the weight quickly in Induction this time was also detrimental.

The only positive of the whole deal is that this time around I definitely drink a minimum of 64 oz of water a day where I wasn't doing that last time.

I got a wake up call telling me that this is a WOL, not a quick fix and that this process is going to take me a long time. I am up to the challenge and even though it's taking me a long time, I know I feel better doing this.
Good Luck!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 11:38
Contributing Member

Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default My 2nd time around experience

1st time on induction (Starting Weight= 252) I lost 14 pounds.

2nd time: Well, I still have 2 days left but so far 10 pounds. Starting weight=255. BUT! I haven't been on a TRUE induction. In other words, I had a little more cream a few days, and yesterday I had one Russell Stover candy, still staying within the 20 minimum. So TRULY I'm on a MODIFIED INDUCTION this time around. Also...no exercise as of yet.

For me, I have to say that there has been really little to no difference. However. I did my first induction about 2 years ago before getting pregnant. I was worried that the weight wouldn't come off as fast this time around. And maybe I'll slow down. I HOPE NOT though.

Hope this helps.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 13:11

Stats: 188/177/130 Female 5'3
BF:48%
Progress: 19%
Angry Much Harder 2nd Time Around!!!

My DH and I did this "diet" about 2 1/2 years ago. We both lost weight very quickly. In a month I was down 20 lbs!! It took me about a year to gain it back plus another 15!!

Have been on Atkins for about 5 weeks and I am only down 8lbs. I am very, very discouraged. I drink lots of water and have added exercise to my plan. I have 50lbs to lose. You would think that by cutting out Pepsi, sugar, milk and chocolate in my coffee (3 cups a day!!), starches for lunch and dinner, candy and popcorn with butter and Pepsi every night - I would be losing weight just for eliminating the above!!

I stepped on the scale this morning and nothing - nothing for the last 2 weeks!! What is up!! I eat an Atkins bar for breakfast with a cup of coffee lo carb milk, tuna salad w/1tbl for lunch, meat, veges and salad for dinner. I drink lots of water and de-caff herbal teas throughout the day. For quick snacks a few green olives, a few pecans, or a piece of beef jerky - WHAT IS THE PROBLEM!!

Any help would be appreciated. I am not ready to give up but really, really discouraged. I wanted to cry after I stepped on the scale this morning!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 15:28

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 275/268/160 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 6%

Try dropping the Atkins bars for a while... they seem to stall me right out.