Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 00:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Atkins corpse dragged into US 'diet wars'"

Atkins corpse dragged into US "diet wars"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...s_health_atkins

NEW YORK (AFP) - Even in death, it seems Dr. Robert Atkins has been unable to escape the bitter controversy that continues to rage over the health consequences of his phenomenally popular meat-lovers' diet.

The "diet wars," as they have been dubbed in the US media, struck a new low this week as the low-carb guru's corpse was unceremoniously dragged into the debate.

On Tuesday, the Wall Street Journal published a medical examiner's report on Atkins' death last April, indicating that he was obese and had a history of congestive heart failure and hypertension.

The report, obtained and disseminated to the media by a pro-vegetarian lobby group, was jumped on by anti-Atkins nutrionists as ultimate proof of his diet's unhealthy, long-term side effects.

Atkins' widow Veronica threatened to sue over the unauthorised release of the report, and the Atkins Physicians Council in New York argued that the late doctor may have appeared obese due to the bloating side-effects of his comatose condition.

The following day, USA Today published a separate hospital record showing Atkins' weight at the time of his hospital admission at 195 pounds, 60 pounds lighter than the figure cited in the medical examiner's report.

Atkins was hospitalised in New York after a fall on April 8, 2003. He went into a coma and died April 17 at the age of 72.

The fact that the two confidential medical documents were published prominently by the mainstream press is a reflection of the importance the Atkins diet has assumed in the United States.

According to Atkins Nutritionals, about 25 million Americans are on the diet and nearly 100 million are adhering to some sort of "controlled carbohydrate" regimen.

Critics say those figures are inflated, but acknowledge that the popularity of the low-carb diet has resulted in a significant shift in American eating habits.

The Atkins program advocates a counter-intuitive approach to dieting that stresses consumption of high-protein, fatty products, at the expense of carbohydrates.

According to Atkins's theories, eating virtually no carbohydrates causes the body to enter a state known as ketosis, in which it uses stored body fat as fuel.

The unique selling point is that if dieters stick to certain types of foods, principally meat, fish, eggs and dairy products, they can theoretically eat as much as they want and yet still shed weight.

The economic impact has been significant, with the meat industry reporting a surge in sales, while bread, pasta and sweets manufacturers have struggled to counter the idea that their traditional staples are "bad" foods.

Lisa Sasson, a professor at New York University's department of nutrition and public health and a vocal Atkins critic, said she laughed when she read the reports of Atkins' alleged obesity.

"But I'll tell you, in all honesty, if it makes people a bit more sceptical then I welcome it," said Sasson, who believes the Atkins fad is peaking. "I'm waiting for the pendulum to swing. I know it's going to. Is this the impetus? I don't know, but I hope so."

Sasson and many others say the Atkins diet is dangerous because it paints all carbohydrates with the same "weight-gaining" brush, even those which are known to contain nutrients that can help prevent cancer and heart disease.

"I've seen people ask for bacon and cheese but hold the whole-grain bread. That's not just unhealthy, it's crazy," she said.

Atkins supporters counter by pointing to several studies that show the diet encouraging weight loss with no short-term increase in heart disease risk factors.

Studies on the long-term effects are only just getting underway.

The latest row over Atkins' weight is not the first pot shot to be taken at the seemingly unstoppable dietary bandwagon he set in motion.

Last month, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was overheard telling a group of firefighters that Atkins was "fat" and his food inedible. The mayor also said he didn't believe that Atkins "dropped dead slipping on the sidewalk."

After Veronica Atkins expressed outrage at his comments, Bloomberg eventually apologised.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 08:58

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

"But I'll tell you, in all honesty, if it makes people a bit more sceptical then I welcome it,"

Because we all know your opinion must be right, of course. Because you're willing to scare people off the diet through immoral means. Because you can't just let people live their own lives and make their own educated decisions.

"Sasson and many others say the Atkins diet is dangerous because it paints all carbohydrates with the same "weight-gaining" brush, even those which are known to contain nutrients that can help prevent cancer and heart disease."

No, no it doesn't. It stresses the "good" carbs over the "bad" ones.

"Last month, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was overheard telling a group of firefighters that Atkins was "fat" and his food inedible. The mayor also said he didn't believe that Atkins "dropped dead slipping on the sidewalk.""

Does no one have respect for the dead? Does no one respect our choice to use this diet? You don't like it, fine, don't use it! Stop being p*ssy over sour grapes!

(Sorry, had to vent).