Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 231.8/228.1/190 Male 6 foot 1 inch
BF:30%/30%/25%
Progress: 9%
Default Carb counting - too hard !

Well i've finished day two of induction and have religously kept to my 20g carbs a day.

The question is how to toal the dail food. Should I use the Atkins book or the food lables ?. As I live in the UK I believe that the carbspon the food label are correct (for Atkins purposes).

There are some big differences i.e.

Egg
Atkins = 0,6, label = trace (assume trace ~ 0g )
Cheedar Chees
Atknis = 0.2g per two tablespoons, food label says 0.1g per 100 g

Leerdamer Cheese
Label say 0g of carbs per 100g !!

What I'm getting at here is should I base my counts on the food labels or not. If the answer is yes then it looks like I have been over counting my carbs.

Looking forward to my mid week weigh in on Thursday morning.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 15:37

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=28869

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about label reading and counting carbs
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 14:16

Plan: Diabetic Low Carb
Stats: 165/153.5/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Unhappy Carb Counting

I am a "Newbie", and I am sooooo glad that this site is available. I have been recently diagnosed as having Diabetes, I am currently on a low-carb diet. and I'm hoping that I can lose some weight. I need to lose about 30 pounds. I have noticed that I have lost about 7 pounds (only) in about 2 and a half weeks. What am I doing wrong? I buy "Low carb bread 6 Net Carbs" and I only have two slices in the AM for breakfast. I do put some Peanut Butter on it, only a little (less than a tsp.), then a cup of coffee. I exercise faithfully, but it seems so hard to drop the pounds. I do think that I am toning my muscles, and I can see some progress in my waist. Can anyone tell me if medication has carbs? I take Multi Vitamins, Niacin, aspirin, I have heard that I should count the carbs in my meds (by a friend), I've seen a Dietician only once, but I do have an appointment in a few weeks, I will ask her that, but if anyone can advise me, it would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to be able to lose a few more pounds before my next appointment. What do some of you eat for breakfast? Lunch? and Dinner? For dinner last evening I had Barbequed chicken, and a Salad. Could it be the portions? Any help is appreciated. I really have too good an apetite.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 14:51

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%
Talking

Usee Fitday.com to add up everything saves lots of time once you get used to it, I normally go by the lable and enter things in customly, however certain things if it says 0 I use 1 like diet soda, and cheese, just to be on the safe side. Also on the tools link at the top of the page there is a hidden carb finder I use that for things I question.

Last edited by HollyAyott : Mon, Jul-05-04 at 16:00. Reason: spelling
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 15:21

BF:
Default Carb Counting

Thank you Holly. I went to the site and signed up. Lots of good information. I appreciate your help. I'm trying so hard to lose. Thank you Thank you.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 15:43

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Otisthecat: you aren't doing anything wrong. In fact, 7 pounds in 2.5 weeks is fantastic. You only want to lose 30 pounds so that's already 23.3% of the way to your goal! That's fantastic!

If I were you, I would leave off the bread for breakfast and substitute some sort of protein: eggs, bacon, leftover chicken or beef from the night before.

I know the bread is low carb but some people are sensitive to grains. It would be better to choose from the Induction List for a while and just increase the amounts to raise the carbs. The lower on the GLycemic Index your food is, the less your sugars will be affected.

Lots of people here are managing their Type 2 Diabetes by LCing and you can too. All the best.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 19:08

BF:
Thumbs up Low Carbing

Thank you Tofi... you made me feel a lot better. I guess I'm impatient. I have noticed that since I started the diet (L-C) I am feeling better with much more energy. I've also noticed that my BG has returned to near normal. I am so glad. Thanks for the confidence.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 20:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/142/130 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi everyone... I'm new and looking to drop 20 lbs. I was wondering what to expect during the first week? So far, I've been on this for 2 days. My friends like going out for drinks- do you suggest I don't have any, or is a glass of wine or 2 okay? thanks
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 21:00

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 237/236/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardim15
Hi everyone... I'm new and looking to drop 20 lbs. I was wondering what to expect during the first week? So far, I've been on this for 2 days. My friends like going out for drinks- do you suggest I don't have any, or is a glass of wine or 2 okay? thanks

wine is one of the poorer choices as far as alcohol goes, lots of sugar I've been told. However I don't think alcohol is allowed/reccomended during induction, If you must have alcohol opt for something like Bacardi and Diet Coke or perhaps a low carb beer.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-05, 22:26

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 175.6/135.2/125 Female 5'2" inches
BF:I/dont/care
Progress: 80%

jardim15,

Alcohol is not on the induction list, im afraid Your body will stop burning fat to burn the alcohol instead. Why throw your 2 hard won induction days for a glass of wine? Stick with it, you can do it!

Best of luck