Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/208/130 Female 5ft 4ins
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default How do I establish a goal weight?

Hi there,

This is something that has always perplexed me.

I've never been thin, not even when I was a kid, but I AM very muscular (according to my fitness instructor and my massage therapist!), and pretty curvy (no complaints from my husband! hee hee ) The women in my family are all very similar to me, so I can't gauge anything there either....
I've measured the elbow bone to determine I'm "big-boned" (if that even works?). At 5'4" and 173 lbs, I have a 30" waist, and am a comfortable size 11.

How will I "know" when I've reached my goal? Should I use the top of the standard weights scale? Can I possibly be a size 5 one day? Should I WANT to be?

Thanks once again.... you guys are GREAT!

Aria~
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am having the same problem. I have just decided to keep loosing until I feel good!
What is that elbow measurement thing? I am also fairly muscular ( I work in a sawmill) My arms are pretty buff!! lol I also heard of measuring your wrists. Have you heard of this?? Is there a site?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:16
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

The weight thing is kind of tough. I just basically chose a weight I could live with-but I am more interested in my actual size than my weight. I wanted to be able to fit into 7/8's. I would pick a clothes size and go for that. I have noticed that being on a low carb plan, I can weigh more and still be smaller.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 12:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Try to consider your past... i.e., can you rememeber what you wieghed at a point in time when you felt the best.

Also, while the Body-Mass Index (BMI) charts can be pretty restrictive, take a look and see where you fall. You might want to aim for the high end at first.

Good Luck, looks like you've made some great progress so far!