Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 02:40

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 291/281/150 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:46.09%
Progress: 7%
Default Induction food??

Hi, it's me again and I have some questions.

I am on my 6th day of Induction and was wondering if I am eating the right things. It just seems so boring eating a very small variety and wanted some advice on foods I can add that I don't know about useing during Induction.

I eat alot of meat and eggs.... bacon and eggs every morning
I eat meat for lunch...... hamburgers, steak, chicken, etc..
I eat meat for dinner and usually add a couple eggs.

One day I will eat all chicken and eggs, the next it may be beef and eggs or pork and eggs but my diet consists of only meat, fish, and eggs.

I am loosing the weight... I have lost 11 pounds in 6 days which I think is really good but most of it was probably water.

The problem I am having is that I am getting bored of just meat, fish, and eggs.
Please help, I really want to loose 6st (84 pounds) this year and I know it can be done. I am tired of being fat and tired of feeling YUK! everyday that I wake up. Tired of being out of breath after coming up the stairs.

I have great willpower to say no to the foods I cannot have which is a big + on my side but I am really really getting bored with such a small variety.

Well, thanks for listening and if you have any advice I would love to hear it.

lil' pixie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 02:51
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Where are the vegetables? The Atkins web site (http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html ) lists over 20 salad vegetables and over 35 other veggies that are allowed on Induction -- you don't seem to be eating ANY of them. What's up with that?

You can also have butter, cheese, cream, and sour cream, plus a few other things.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 02:55

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 291/281/150 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:46.09%
Progress: 7%

I didn't think you were allowed veggies in the first 2 weeks. Well from now on I will be eating my veggies. Thanks for the reply and for the link.

Also, I do have butter. I do not like sour cream unless it is mixed with ranch dressing and I did not know you were allowed cheese on the first 2 weeks.

So for now on I will add the veggies and cheese. Thanks alot, this gives me alot more of a variety.

lil' pixie
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 03:05
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Yes, you can have two cups of salad and 1 cup of the other 35-odd vegetables during Induction. Check the web page for additional foods and cautions
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 03:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 451/406/126 Female 5ft 2
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile Atkins Suggestions

Hello
Good to see someone else from the Uk on-line. May I suggest that you go to Tesco's and buy the book Atkins Made Easy which cost around £3.40. It is really easy to read and digest, much easier than the main book New Diet Rev.
Another thing is to be more adventureous with your herbs and spices but check the labels and remember that garlic is a carb to be counted. Foods are more appealing in colour and variety than just plain cooked foods. Pretend your entertaining a friend, and make the effort.
I can recommend that Atkins Strawberry ready to drink shakes from Boots and the Carbolite bars from Superdrug, but be careful with the sweet bars not to have them more that once or twice a week.
Good Luck, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Wench

Last edited by wench : Thu, Jan-29-04 at 03:50.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 04:59

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

There is NO substitute for reading the book. As you have now found, you didn't clue into the veggies and salad nor the dairy amounts in first looking at your videos and book. I hope you did more than just reading the Induction foods list on the meat page. So get the book, or get the book out again and reread.

#7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 09:13
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Basically the whole "bible" DANDR is there to read for free at www.atkins.com under "How to do Atkins". Please read it thoroughly.

And stay away from all "frankenfoods" such as LC bars and shakes etc. Although claimed to be ok in theory, they tend to stall most people bigtime. Save them for an occasional snack during later stages of Atkins (late OWL, pre-maintenance etc.)

Best of luck.

Ps. Did I mention read the site thoroughly?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 13:21
Registered Member

Stats: 203/185/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 42%

Listen to these gals...they're purdy smart!!! The book IS the Atkins Bible, and the website is GREAT!! I have learned a lot reading the book, and I even sound smart talking to other people about Atkins (haha). I feel like I'm in biology 101 again....