Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 20:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up just fed family lc meal and they dont even know

I just successfully fed my whole family a low carb meal and they are none the wiser. We had steak, steamed green beans with butter and garlic, and a green salad. My dh also had a slice of bread which is low carb but he never reads the package. i have been sneaking the sara lee low carb bread on them for awhile and they havent noticed. it was really nice not to have to try to avoid anything at the dinner table. My family does not need to lose weight, but i feel the health benefits of lcing should be applied to all of us.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 20:39

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Tee hee! That amuses me greatly.

Everyone in my family needs to lose weight, except for my sister-in-law (darn skinny Filipinos :P). Only my Mom and I are trying (right now), and my whole family would throw a fit if they found out they were fed a low carb meal. It's lucky that Mom and I live at home alone for most of the week, or the temptation would be awful.

But still, Mom's working on Dad, and my brother Eric might even give Atkin's a try after he gets his master's. My brother Matt isn't interested in losing weight right now, and my brother Dan is convinced Atkin's is the devil. Maybe one day...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 20:46
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I did the same thing by cooking them a low carb version of chicken parmesan using mini carbs zero carb bake mix, low carb marinara and provalone cheese.. I also had bought Osolo Italian sandwich roll, butter and garlic salt it then put in oven like mini garlic loaves..It was great
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 21:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I actually pulled one over on my family with the pork rind crusted fried chicken. Only after they were done did I tell them what they had actually eaten! <evil laugh>

I liked doing that with holiday dinners when the extended family came over too. "Oh this cranberry sauce is sooo good!" "Really? You like it? It's low carb! Bet you didn't know that! No sugar! Yep, only Splenda! Made it myself! Bet you thought you wouldn't like something like that. As a matter of fact, the WHOLE MEAL is low carb--Ha ha!"
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 21:31

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

My husband isn't doing Atkins (though he IS starting soon—yay!), but I am NOT cooking two dinners a night. So guess what? He eats low carb, at least in the evening. He's never complained about the low carb aspect of any of it.

'Course, it helps that he is a major carnivore.

ICKY GROSS THING TO FOLLOW

His only complaint is that for some reason lettuce and, to a lesser extent, cruciferous vegetables go right through him somewhat undigested.

Last edited by FrecklFluf : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 21:32.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:10
Registered Member

Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Wouldn't your family members risk gaining weight and developing BP and cholesterol problems if they regularly ate a LC/High Fat dinners, while they were still eating high carb the rest of the day? I'm just thinking of the stories of the sympathetic spouse who do atkins along with their significant other; But ends up regularly sneaking in carby snacks and ends up gain 20 lbs, while their SO loses 20 lb.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:16

Stats: 197/164/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

I see your point NCLC, but my husband would eat high protein high fat for supper anyhow at least he's now getting salad.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:40
Registered Member

Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Haha...I can see my old self in that spot too. I sure do eat a lot more veggies now =)
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 00:48
Registered Member

Stats: 215/158/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Speaking of low carb bread.. I found some that is just GREAT! Full sized loaf with full sized slices. 6 carbs a slice for the white and 7 for the multi grain..Those counts are minus the fiber. So much better than those little tiny slices and sooooo good. It's "HomePride CARB ACTION" and is made with Splenda
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 07:04
That German Girl!

Plan: Low Carb, No Sugar
Stats: //! Female 5'11
BF:See my Inch Ticker
Progress: 64%

Quote:
I just successfully fed my whole family a low carb meal and they are none the wiser.

and
Quote:
I actually pulled one over on my family with the pork rind crusted fried chicken. Only after they were done did I tell them what they had actually eaten! <evil laugh> ... "Oh this cranberry sauce is sooo good!" "Really? You like it? It's low carb! Bet you didn't know that! No sugar! Yep, only Splenda! Made it myself! Bet you thought you wouldn't like something like that. As a matter of fact, the WHOLE MEAL is low carb--Ha ha!"

Isn't that weird how people think? I was just on another part of this forum where a LoCarber was complaining that her family who she was visiting to dinner fed her chicken with honey on it and didn't tell her until AFTER the fact - even though they knew how long and hard she'd worked on Atkins and everyone over there thought it was incredibly rude of them to "force" sugar on her that way. They all (a few pages of posts) said that it was just wrong to "sneak" things in on people like that, etc., etc.

Now, you're both saying you do the exact same thing this other LowCarber was upset about someone having done to her: "springing" your eating choices on unsuspecting people and no one here seems to mind or object to it.

Isn't that weird? People are strange rangers! (Myself INCLUDED! )

Last edited by kimberlyw : Wed, Feb-04-04 at 07:07.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 08:07

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

You know my family are eating healthier although not really low carb. I make fried chicken, occasionally, that has a soy flour breading. They actually request it, now.
I asked them if they missed corn since we hadn't had it for over a year. They said, no.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:00

BF:

You know, that's true-- I never thought about it that way! But I think there is a difference. In the other case it was something they knew she could not eat. Her diet was restricted and the dinner makers knew that.

But in the case with my family they aren't on a restricted diet. Actually 2 of them at the holiday dinner are diabetic and don't eat what they know they should be anyway because they think it's "yucky and boring". They all eat what ever they want. They eat cauliflower, cheese, butter and cream cheese-- just never mixed all together as faux potatoes. They eat cranberries and fake sugar-- just never together before as cranberry sauce. They eat chicken and occasionally pork rinds-- but just never together before as fried chicken.

So in that case, I wasn't going against their wishes, beliefs or WOE. Their WOE is eat anything and everything! And the great part is they REALLY liked the food and had their eyes opened a bit realizing that LC eating (that they all admit they should be eating like that anyway, they just won't take the plunge) is not a yucky tasting as they imagine it to be.

Or yeah, maybe I am just a hypocrite!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"I actually pulled one over on my family with the pork rind crusted fried chicken. Only after they were done did I tell them what they had actually eaten! <evil laugh>"

I made pork rind French Toast and didn't tell my b/f what was in it. *L* He loved it!

Quote:
Now, you're both saying you do the exact same thing this other LowCarber was upset about someone having done to her: "springing" your eating choices on unsuspecting people and no one here seems to mind or object to it.

It's a totally different situation. You're not entertaining friends or guests - you're cooking for the people who leave their dirty laundry all over the place and never change the toilet paper roll. The rule is, "if I cook it, you eat it or starve." Tricking your family into eating their vegetables and whole foods is different from deliberately sabotaging a diet restriction.

I also disagree that it has to be incompatible with higher carb meals earlier in the day: salad, green beans and meat is still a superior meal, IMHO, to more high carb crap.

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Feb-04-04 at 10:11.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 10:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
>>
I also disagree that it has to be incompatible with higher carb meals earlier in the day: salad, green beans and meat is still a superior meal, IMHO, to more high carb crap.

I agree. We do the simple meat and veggie on the side for most everyday dinners. I get the impression a lot of other people on the boards do this too. DH still eats his chips, drinks Coke, etc. During the rest of the day. Somehow since I started LC'ing he's managed to shed 20 lbs without even trying-- just from eating those dinners. For the most part, we eat the same dinners we used to-- a meat, a veggie and a starch (potato, rice, pasta), we've just dropped the starch. It's mostly for weekends and holidays we get fun with the really LC specific (which some tend to be more fatty) recipes-- it's not an everyday thing.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 11:13

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I agree guys when I "sneak" things past people it is just things like cauliflower instead of potatoes or something, which I know is not sabotaging anybody's WOE.

DH has never been a starch eater so the fact that we are eating meat, salads, veggies for dinner doesn't really bother him. He eats what I pack for his lunch and I know that a few times a week he eats out so I don't know on those days what he's eating. He has lost 8 lbs since Jan 5th, so I don't consider that too bad for someone who isn't trying very hard.
Actually yesterday he asked if his cheese dip had "carbs" in it and fixex the TV in the workout room so he can treadmill in the morning and watch TV, so I think he's figuring it out that this does work!

Oh yeah, the first time I fried cod in egg and pork rinds he said "I thought we couldn't have breading" So it tasted the same to him.

Wee
Wee