Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 22:45

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 296/293/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Anyone heard of apple cider vinegar helping weight loss?

I know it sounds weird, but I actually know people who have lost weight they say just by drinking this. Anyone heard of it? I don,t think it would hurt
to try. Not many carbs for a teaspoon.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 22:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

I don't know about drinking it, but I have a friend who used to take it in pill form. It's sold at vitamin stores.
Alli
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 23:07
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

aalley

Yes, it does not have to be apple cider vinegar in particular, but any vinegar or lemon juice will lower the GI of foods, which means they will affect the insulin reaction differently.

There was an article on my local news the other night, showing how new studies on the grapefruit diet had proved that either some grapefruit juice or a 1/2 grapefruit with each meal resulted in some weight loss - no matter what the rest of the meal consisted of. The scientist who conducted the study seemed puzzled about the results, but another one was clued into the GI and while not specifically mentioning it talked about grapefruit having the ability to lower the insulin response - so it seems that it would make sense that if lemons can lower the GI then grapefruits could. So by adding vinegar or certain citrus juices to your meal you can lower the GI - but unfortunately it still wont nullify cakes or donuts.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

What does GI mean?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 12:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

From what I read in "Fat Flush", vinegar or lemon juice will slow the emptying of the stomach, so carbs are absorbed a lot slower.

Apple cider vinegar is rich in potassium and probably other phytonutrients. It's supposed to aid in digestion and has anti-bacterial properties. But you have to get organic vinegar with what they call the "mother" of vinegar - protein suspended in the liquid. The pills are .

I doubt apple cider vinegar would make a huge difference in weight loss, but it tastes pretty good on salad.

ih74, GI = glycemic index. It generally refers to the speed at which carbs are digested.