Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/165/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default biotin dosage for alpha lipoic acid 1800mg daily

hi there,

what's the recommended dosage for biotin when i'm going to take alpha lipoic acid 3x a day at 600mg per meal...

thanks!

Regards/
Jerome
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 11:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi Jerome,

I couldn't find any literature recommending ALA and biotin together, however there is no contraindication for doing so.

1800mg per day is the maximum safe dose for ALA .. not sure what purpose you're taking it for, but studies using lipoic acid to treat diabetic nerve damage (neuropathy) showed best results with 600mg per day .. larger doses were no more effective. However, larger doses *may* provide better blood sugar control.

For biotin, the maximum safe dose appears to be 1200mcg (1.2mg) per day. It's recommended that if you wish to use higher doses of biotin for diabetes blood sugar control, you should be under the supervision of a qualified health care professional especially if you're also on diabetes medications.

More info on these supplements can be found at http://www.wholehealthmd.com/

hth,

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 12:40
Registered Member

BF:

i have sensorineural hearing loss due to antibiotic, i have read some articles regarding ALA helping the cochlea...

the need for biotin is to avoid hair loss.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 13:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtan
i have sensorineural hearing loss due to antibiotic, i have read some articles regarding ALA helping the cochlea...

the need for biotin is to avoid hair loss.

Sorry to read about the hearing loss problem Yes, some antibiotics can damage the workings of the inner ear due to free radical production, and ALA is a potent antioxidant. The reports about ALA helping this type of hearing loss were based on the ALA being taken at the same time with the antibiotic though; not sure how effective it will be to take after the damage has already been done? .. There's a little more information here .. Lipoic Acid Protects Hearing Function.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 09:26
Registered Member

BF:

yeah i read it's for protection... well, i think i'm gonna take chance, it's worth it i think... considering the *other* benefits of ALA..
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 13:35

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default GNC mag reported VitE, too

Probably for the same effects--people hospitalized for hearing loss did better with Vitamin E supplementation.

Whew, don't want to think about your Alpha Lipo bill! I know how much I'm spending!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 21:51
Registered Member

BF:

you're into ALA? how much is it helping you?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 13:50

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Don't know for sure

I started taking it and I started losing weight after a long stall. I blamed the stall on my overeating so it wasn't really a stall, but I found I was able to eat less with the alpha lipo. Chicken or egg. I seem to feel a little "Cleaner" on the inside.

It stabilizes blood sugar and I do believe that much of my so-called psychologically-based overeating is actually a falling-blood-sugar response.