Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/280/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Where can I find Thicken Thin Not/Starch?

I can't seem to find the Thicken Thin Not/Starch product that, as I understand it, takes the place of cornstarch. Does anyone use this product; if so, how do you like it, and what's the price? I'd like to be able to make my husband's favorite pie (lemon meringue), and know how to make a low-carb crust, and substitute the sugar with Splenda, and lemon juice isn't very high in carbs --- but, OH THAT CORNSTARCH! So high in carbs! If anyone can help me here, I'd appreciate it very much. Maybe someone even knows of a really good recipe to share with me (I'm converting my regular lemon meringue pie recipe at this point). We've been on Atkins now since 1/11, and my DH has lost 15 pounds, and I've lost 10. We're so pleased with our good beginning on this plan.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 12:54
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

My local GNC store carries it. (General Nutrition Center)

You can also order it online.

Kay
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 13:31

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Most health food stores carry it BUT it is EXPENSIVE for that reason I have never bought it. To rich for my blood.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 13:38
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks to you both for your input. What would be a cheaper low-carb substitute? Probably could use a low-carb flour, but that would make the lemon curd look wrong for the pie -- maybe that doesn't matter so much, huh?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 15:40

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I didn't know that lemon curd had corn starch in it. I guess I always thought it was thickened by egg yolks. I have seen the thick and thin stuff here in an Atkins store but it was like $16.00 for the little package so I never bought it. I think the recipe forum has some lemon curd recipes that may work. Or you could maybe do a search for Low Carb Lemon Merangue pie.

Have a great day!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 19:50
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Yes, Thicknthin NOT (sugar or starch, your choice) is expensive--but you use just a LITTLE (like 1 teaspoon or less) for each thing you make, so it lasts a long, long time. I used mine to make gravy for Christmas dinner; NO ONE could tell it was LC! My DH's only complaint? The turkey (free range) wasn't fatty enough to produce enough drippings to make enough gravy for the 9 of us plus leftovers! Oh, well...

Jude
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 22:40
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the help, everyone. Looks like I'll be continuing my search for the lemon meringue pie recipe, and I'll definitely have to check out the Thicken Thin stuff to see if I might afford it in my area for just occassional use. Good to hear it doesn't take much to make something with it. We're just like your husband, Mossling -- we too like to have lots of gravy for leftovers! With a low-carb thickener we could still enjoy our gravies and sauces now and then. Thanks for responding to my note so soon. We sure are enjoying this site.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 00:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Do you have a recipe for lemon curd? Eggs, lemon juice and zest, sugar and butter cooked in a double boiler? Just substitute Splenda for the sugar. The curd - after it's cooked - can be baked in the pie shell which will make it firmer. It will be much tastier than if you use a thickener.

In general, you can use xanthan gum for thickening instead of Thicken Thin. A little goes a long way and it's much cheaper. And, it thickens hot as well as cold liquids.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Jan-25-04 at 10:31.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 13:02
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Karen. I'll give that a try.