Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%
Default Atkins Doc on Good Morning America SEE IT HERE!

Wanna see Dr. Stewart Trager from Atkins on Good Morning America? Click the link and enjoy!

Atkins on GMA on ABC
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:53
Registered Member

Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Did the link die?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 09:09

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

I'm watching GMA's piece on testing restaurant's claims about carb counts. Seems Subway is a bit off but TGIF and Ruby Tuesday did OK.

Subway indicated 19 gms carb and tested at 27 gms carb for their chicken wrap. 25 in their turkey wrap. I keep hearing 11 gms listed on the tv ads so not sure what's up here.

TGIF lists sizzling chicken with broccoli as 15 gms carbs and tested about that.

Ruby Tuesdays pepper corn mushroom sirloin steak with creamed spinach and pork rind sides was about 19 gms.

Ruby Tuesdays Cajun chicken salad had 16 gms carb.

I don't think I'll trust Subway.

Squid
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:03

Stats: 140.0/121.5/125 Female 5'3
BF:going down!
Progress: 123%

OMG, say it isnt so!!
I have been eating thos subway wraps about 3 a week!
There so warm and filling and delish, I just cant believe that they fooled us?

NoSunNoFun
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 10:15

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

NoSunNoFun,

They did make the point that it depends on how each chain makes it. But still, this doesn't sound like the 11 gms of net carbs that they're advertising on TV.

Maybe Subway is reporting net grams of carbs and the tests counted total grams and didn't subtract out fiber or any sugar alcohols. Anyway, you might find more on the GMA web site or you could look in the Good Housekeeping magazine which did the study.

If you can eat these and lose weight, then it's not a problem is it?

Squid
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 12:14

Stats: 203/138/140 Female 65inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I was thinking the same thing. I know the Subway wraps say NET carbs. I haven't seen the segment, but I bet it is TOTAL carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 13:47

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am unable to view this clip with my Windows Media Player....Is anyone else having problems?...

Julie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:24

Stats: 188/160/150 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid
TGIF lists sizzling chicken with broccoli as 15 gms carbs and tested about that.

Ruby Tuesdays pepper corn mushroom sirloin steak with creamed spinach and pork rind sides was about 19 gms.

Ruby Tuesdays Cajun chicken salad had 16 gms carb.

Can someone explain how you get that many carbs from these meals? I mean is that like a 2 pounds of broccoli? Or a pound of mushrooms? What are they putting in that creamed spinach? (and why can't they just serve it regular?). They are still missing the boat here.

ç
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 14:52

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:
Progress: 100%

I emailed the site and this is what they wrote me back:

" Atkins.com had received a clip regarding "Dr. Stuart Trager" which aired on
Good Morning America on 1/20/04. This footage and link was not intended to
be distributed outside of the Atkins corporation. Because of this the
segment has been removed from our server and will no longer be accessible.
If you require further assistance you may contact Atkins at 800-628-5467 and
press 4 to speak to a customer service representative.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
VMS Digital "

Julie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 05:13
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Can someone explain how you get that many carbs from these meals? I mean is that like a 2 pounds of broccoli? Or a pound of mushrooms? What are they putting in that creamed spinach? (and why can't they just serve it regular?). They are still missing the boat here.

I was wondering the same thing when I was there. The broccoli they list as only 1 net carb. I eat broccoli all the time and they served me about 2 cups of broccoli.

The creamed spinach on its own is listed as 7 or 9g carbs which seems like its normal creamed spinach I guess. I have never eaten it since I dont like creamed spinach and I am not sure how its made, but it seems on fitday creamed spinach has 9g net carbs so it makes sense.

Mushrooms are pretty carby too. I will use just a few mushrooms for my eggs in the morning and thats about 4g carbs right there. Then if they use garlic, onions, spices, cream or make a sauce all these things add carbs.

I also wonder sometimes how the carb counts get so high but I figure they are also trying to be safe rather than sorry.

If you dont have the fauxtatoes or the creamed spinach as a side and go for broccoli and pork rinds that will save you more than half the carbs right there.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:07
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I've been eating a lot of those Subway wraps - almost 1 per day since they came out - and I'm still losing weight - 5 lbs so far this month.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 10:58

Stats: 188/160/150 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney

Mushrooms are pretty carby too. I will use just a few mushrooms for my eggs in the morning and thats about 4g carbs right there. Then if they use garlic, onions, spices, cream or make a sauce all these things add carbs.

In the grand scheme of things they aren't that carby really: Just over 1 net carb/oz raw. I use them regularly as a dinner side. You'd be amazed how much 3 oz chopped mushrooms is on a plate. Sauteed in olive oil and basil...yummy.

ç
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 16:32

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid
Subway indicated 19 gms carb and tested at 27 gms carb for their chicken wrap. 25 in their turkey wrap. I keep hearing 11 gms listed on the tv ads so not sure what's up here.

The wrap itself contains 16g of Carbs with 11g of Fiber for 5g Net Carbs. One thing about Subway is that they tend to make the reference [which they base their counts on] quantities for the toppings very small. For example, they list 1 tsp of Oil, but I easily get 1 Tbsp [or more] from most of the folks behind the counter. Lettuce is listed as 1/2 ounce, which is about in line with what I actually get. Cucumbers and Pickles, you usually get about twice the reference quantity. It is likely the same with other vegetables also.

Since there are 11g of Fiber in the Wrap, that would make it 11g Net + 11g Fiber = 22g Total. There may also be a gram or two of Fiber in the toppings. So, you figure its about 23g total carbs based on the reference quantities of toppings. If you choose toppings which are relatively high in carbs, its not unfeasible that the actual wrap [tested] may contain an extra 2-4g of Total Carbs.

All of that said, I've eaten 8 of those Wraps in the last 2 weeks and have had no trouble losing weight. In fact, my weight loss has actually increased somewhat...Though, that is probably just a coincidence.