Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default K/W Cambridge

Anyone in the K/W, Cambridge area of Ontario?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 136/131/120 Female 5'2 3/4
BF:31.1
Progress: 31%

I'm in Simcoe, which is about half an hour from Brantford!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 21:07

Plan: Power Protein
Stats: 143/133/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Hello Ghost & KrazyKelly
I'm new to this site. Glad to see some other Cannucks, and esp from near me - Listowel (nw of Kitchener). Do you have any idea how many carbs there are in soy flour? I've made terrific Orange-Cranberry mini muffins, but can't calculate the carbs b/c of the soy flour.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 22:28

Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%

hey there Listowel - I grew up in Huron County, near Clinton but now live out west....saw your note.

Have you tried Fit Day? www.fitday.com

They do have a listing for soy flour.....
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 08:45

Stats: 172/172/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress:
Talking Hi Ghost

Yes from Cambridge! Glad to have a fellow local(er) to talk too!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 12:00

BF:

Hi Listowel04, krazykelly, tlmarshall & newgirl35

Nice to know there are some fellow LCers in the area.

Listowel04 there are about about 30 g carbs & 8 g fibre in a cup of full fat soy flour. It would depend on the brand though. The muffins sound really good, can you post the recipe? Please.

Listowel04, I grew up in Hanover. I'm sure you know where that is. I go up your way alot to relatives. Spend alot of time near Fordwich in the summer.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 09:24
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 136/131/120 Female 5'2 3/4
BF:31.1
Progress: 31%

I guess we are in for more snow today! I can't wait till summer! Bring me the sun and warmth! LOL

How is everyone doing today? Are you drinking your water? Have you got your exercise in for the day yet?

I just got back from the gym and I'm getting ready to hit the shower and get ready and run some errands. In this crappy weather I might add! LOL

Just checking in to see how the local low carbers were doing!

I'll check back later. Have a great day!

~*Kelly*~
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 16:40

BF:

Hi krazykelly,

Isn't this awfull weather? I can't wait for summer either. This will be the first one in years that I'm actually going to wear a bathing suit!

DH bought me a Weider home gym for xmas so I'm just going for a workout now.

Drive carefull those roads are awfully icy.

Talk to you later.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 06:17
Registered Member

Plan: PP
Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%
Progress: 93%

Hi everyone,
I'm in Stratford. Glad to know there are other LCers not too far away.
We should share places to buy LC products. The Zehrs in Stratford has Oscars SF syrups--vanilla, B52, carmel, amaretto, Bavarian chocolate, Irish cream and hazelnut. Sweetened with Splenda. They are in 750 ml bottles. Now $9.99. Up until recently they were $7.69 which I thought was a very good deal as a bottle lasts a long time.
While waiting for a prescription on Mon. I noticed that they had a small diabetic display right near where you pick up the prescriptions. They have the small bottles of SF vanilla and carmel. Also something I hadn't seen before. I believe the name was Sobee's or something like that (didn't have my glasses on!). They had chocolate syrup and pancake syrup. Both Splenda sweetened and the prices weren't too bad. Better than I saw for Keto pancake syrup. I haven't tried them so I don't know how they are. But I have used all the Oscar's syrups and use them to flavour and sweeten my homemade yogourt.
Also in Stratford (and London) is Country Bulk which carries most of the baking products needed. Ground almonds, filberts and pecans, soy flour, etc.
Hope this is helpful to someone. On another board I'm on there are a bunch of people from various localities that come to Zehrs here just to get the SF syrups. If the store only realized the potential they have for new business.
Marjorie
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 09:10
Contributing Member

Stats: 254/215/180 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Smile Another kanuk from Ontario

Hi there,

I am from Windsor .... well LaSalle really, but it is really a suburb of Windsor.

I am almost finished my second week of induction ..... lost six lbs the first week ... was feeling very very bad, coming off the carbs, but it is getting better .... my energy was lacking and I was very cranky and irritable ... it is getting better though .... I am enjoying this forum very much ... love to read it with my morning coffee ....

Well just thought I would say hi ....
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 13:53

Plan: Cuttin'
Stats: 125/119/114 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi, all --

I'm in KW -- and I confess, I am bumping this post just to ask Marnie if the Stratford Zehrs still has the sugar-free syrups? I'm on a cutting diet, sugar-free if not textbook "lowcarb" and I keep reading about yummy things I could do to my eggwhites if only I could get Da Vinci -- which I can't. At least as far as I've found.

I called the Stratford Zehrs, thinking to take a road trip, and the two people I spoke to had no idea what I was talking about.

Can anyone help? (And did you all notice -- it was a bit less ferociously cold today!)

thanks,
k.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 17:25
Registered Member

Hi there,
Yes, Zehrs still had the Oscar's syrups the end of last week. Lots of them. They have the regular sugary ones with the coffee bar, but the SF ones are in aisle 10. As you head towards the back of the store they are on your right. They usually carry vanilla, Bavarian chocolate, caramel, B52, Irish cream, hazlenut and amaretto. Occasionally they will be out of one or more. Last I knew they were $9.99 for a 750 ml bottle. When I first started getting them they were $7.69. Just watch that you get the SF ones because they have both together on the shelf. And sometimes you'll find one flavour that isn't sweetened with Splenda.
Good luck. I really enjoy them for flavouring yogourt.
Marjorie
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 20:33

Plan: Cuttin'
Stats: 125/119/114 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%
Talking

Thank you so much! And that's the big Zehr's on Highway 7 coming in, right? (I don't even know if there ARE other Zehr's in Stratford...)

I feel a weekend day trip coming on...
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 06:02
Registered Member

Yes, only one Zehrs in Stratford. As you come in from Kitchener it's on your left at the second traffic light. They moved there from a downtown location about 3 years ago. The new location is within walking distance of where I live. Not that I walk there that often!
Marjorie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 12:42
Registered Member

An update.
I was to Zehrs this morning and checked the status of the Oscar's syrups. Their stock of SF is not at its best right now. They had B52 (but sweetened with Aspartame), amaretto, Irish cream and hazlenut sweetened with Splenda. Now I didn't dig around on the shelf to see if there were others buried somewhere--which has happened. One time I had to nab a passing very tall man to retrieve a bottle of SF vanilla from the very back of the shelf. Hope you can find what you need.
If you need things like ground almonds, ground flax seed, etc. the Country Bulk store nearby has all that. I am so thankful that I have a local source of such items. I'm actually easing out of very low carb as I'm very close to goal and am now using the GI Diet as I go toward maintenance and County Bulk again has the items that I need for that.
Good luck.
Marjorie