Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/147/120 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Unhappy Not Losing..6 days on induction

This is my sixth day on induction and my weight has not budged. I bought ketostix and according to them I have large traces of ketones. I have been eating around 15 grams of protien a day. About 1600-2000 calories, and roughly 65-85 grams of fat. A typical menu for me on a daily basis is:

Breakfast- 1 morning start bar (according to the atkins page it is suitabe for phase 1.) and a hard boiled egg
Lunch- two hamburger patties with a slice of american cheese and a hard boiled egg
Dinner- Varies. Grilled chicken with cheese and bacon or a slamon steak or steak with chicken from the taco store.
Snack- An atkins shake (according to the atkins page it is suitable for phase 1) and a polly-o string cheese. I also usually have 1 or 2 breathsaver mints a day. They have 0 carbs, are sugarfree, and contain 2 sugar alcohols.

So my weight has not budged.. my clothing doesn't feel any looser, and I feel a bit bloated!
Am I doing something wrong, or is this diet not for me? If I am in ketosis, why am I not loosing?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:02

Stats: 213/170/155 Male 6'
BF:26%/17%/8%
Progress: 74%

When I started using bars I stalled. Try cutting them. Let me know what happens. Starting tomorrow I'm not gonna have them and I'll post the results here
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Try cutting out the bars and shakes and maybe cheese. The bars stall may people and the shakes seem to be okay with most people as does cheese. But you are eating 3 things known to make people stall. Try cutting all 3 out and add in gradually in a week.
Add more water and see what that does. Also add in more veggies in stead of shakes and bars.
angie

Last edited by angieK : Sat, Jan-10-04 at 11:15.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:12
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I don't see any vegetables in the foods you listed. Atkins specifies a MINIMUM of three cups of vegetables a day (including two cups of salad).

In addition to the Atkins bars, the American cheese may be slowing you down. I think that Atkins advises against it in favor of real cheese. You will notice that the package probably says "cheese food" not cheese.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:25

Stats: 260/247/200 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 22%

I am in the same state, in induction, I started using bars and shakes two days ago and noticed the ketosis breath has disappeared. I'll cut out the Atkins brand products and see if it comes back.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 11:43

Plan: Atkins - Modified OWL
Stats: 290/250/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 26%

I agree with Liz, you need to add some veggies to that plate!! Also, you might try cutting back on the cheese, I found that when I cut back on my cheese, the weight started coming off QUICK!! I am at day 10 and have lost 6lbs so far.. I honestly feel that had I cut back on the cheese a little sooner I might be even lighter! I would save the bars and shakes for OWL - try to do induction without them (unless you are having a killer craving) and I bet you'll see better results!
Also, I see you are having steak and chicken from the 'taco store' if this is pre-seasoned the seasonings could be the culprit!! I try to stay away from anything pre-seasoned unless I'm desperate!

Hope all goes well!! And welcome to the board

Last edited by amdevelish : Sat, Jan-10-04 at 11:46.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 14:06

Stats: 152/147/120 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks guys.. this really helps. I'm going to try and cut out the american cheese and up the veggies and see where that takes me! I appreciate all the help!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 14:30
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

Get rid of the bars ans shakes as well. At least the bars. If you read the lableing there is alot more carb sin there, some just have "Minimal effect" on blood sugar. Minimal is different from none, and for soem people they have a huge effect.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 16:54

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Sorry to spoil your fun, but I'd be willing to bet the farm that your weightloss will not continue until you eliminate the bars and the shakes.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 17:46

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

yep..no bars! the shakes are sort of better but you'd be wise to only rely on thigns you MAKE and no products....
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 09:43

Stats: 260/247/200 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 22%

I noticed a strange phenomenom this morning. I woke up but layed in bed for awhile, watching the news. I became conscious of the blood pulsing through the veins in my legs. I could sense each time my heart beat and pumped blood.

Is this a matter of concern?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 14:01

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tnissim,

I suspect it's most likely the added calories of your shake and breakfast bar. Something we often forget that eventhough eating low-carb has a slight metabolic advantage, we aren't immune to adding weight when calorie intake exceeds calorie burned on any given day. For example, if eating LC allows you to eat 500 cals more--you still must burn more than you eat at the higher equlibrium amount.

Another thing is that your lack of weight loss has nothing what so ever to do with veggies. The two most saturated phrases used on these boards are "read the book" and "eat your veggies". The latter are great for health given the abundant nutrients contained within them, but has no bearing on your weight loss. If anyone here complains of having...oh...an incurable headache, I'd bet anything there will be 25 posts with, "just eat your veggies!"

Sure, the book mandates that eating veggies are essential; but, Dr. Atkins also maintains the same about vigorous excercise. Why is it everyone touts eating veggies to break stalls and not the other "non-negotiable" aspect of the plan--vigorous excercise?

If you ask me, the single best way to break any stall is increased vigorous physical activity. Try that before you load up on veggies hoping for a miracle that'll never come.

With kindest regards,

Frederick
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 14:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Second that from Frederick, and I'd agree with the others to cut out the bars and shakes. Eat some real food and "move it, move it" (I think that was from a new wave disco song...).
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 14:25

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick
Hi Tnissim,

I suspect it's most likely the added calories of your shake and breakfast bar. Something we often forget that eventhough eating low-carb has a slight metabolic advantage, we aren't immune to adding weight when calorie intake exceeds calorie burned on any given day. For example, if eating LC allows you to eat 500 cals more--you still must burn more than you eat at the higher equlibrium amount.

Another thing is that your lack of weight loss has nothing what so ever to do with veggies. The two most saturated phrases used on these boards are "read the book" and "eat your veggies". The latter are great for health given the abundant nutrients contained within them, but has no bearing on your weight loss. If anyone here complains of having...oh...an incurable headache, I'd bet anything there will be 25 posts with, "just eat your veggies!"

Sure, the book mandates that eating veggies are essential; but, Dr. Atkins also maintains the same about vigorous excercise. Why is it everyone touts eating veggies to break stalls and not the other "non-negotiable" aspect of the plan--vigorous excercise?

If you ask me, the single best way to break any stall is increased vigorous physical activity. Try that before you load up on veggies hoping for a miracle that'll never come.

With kindest regards,

Frederick

Absolutely! Well said!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 14:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

Quote:
Another thing is that your lack of weight loss has nothing what so ever to do with veggies. The two most saturated phrases used on these boards are "read the book" and "eat your veggies".

Except when you combine it with your eat fewer calories statement. Veggies are not only low carb, they are low calorie and very filling. They also provide the fiber you need, and that can have an effect on weight loss.