Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 22:28

Plan: South Beach-starting Mon
Stats: 210/190/140 Female 5'4
BF:46.8%/41.8%/goal??
Progress: 29%
Default Helena's Gym Log

Well, I guess there's no sense prolonging the inevitable, er, umm, beneficial. Anyways, I'm on a low carb plan because of my weight, and as Dr. Atkins emphasized, exercise is not an option. So maybe I won't always be recording that I have gone to the gym, but since I now have fit tv, I can make my own exercise tapes and keep busy to fill in the commericals!
So today, I did a 25 minute Gilad's routine-crunches, light weights, pushups. I don't know the exact numbers but I can watch it again and count this time. Anyways, that's about all for today, but it's more than usual, and I have to start somewhere, and considering that I am extremely out of shape, I am satisfied and plan to work up to more. Not to mention I have access to the gym on campus, and additionally, I have two 45 minute gym classes that I will be logging..so here goes!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:29

Okay, so I'll try this again...I know, I should be more consistent. Anyways, yesterday, I went and had a gym class. Ran .25 miles, and walked another .5 miles. Then after my calculus class, I went back to the gym, where I walked-ran 1 mile. Then I spend 36 minutes (3 miles) on the elliptical trainer. And I slept really well last night too!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:17

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

You are doing Gilad? I had a big crush on him years ago when his program ran on some public tv channel. Then he disappeared. His tapes from stores too. Fit tv is a tc channel?

I agree, after a calculus class you NEED a little run:-)) A campus gym is tremendeous opportunity (I have two grad students kids - both have 6AM-Midnight gym access.)

Last edited by Galadriell : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 12:19.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 19:07

Today-I went to the gym again. I've done it more times than I've written about. Well, I jogged 1/4 mile in gym class...but somehow I don't get a whole lot out of the physical education experience at an engineering school. So then I did 20 minutes/4.25 miles on the bike. I also did 25 minutes/2.75 miles on the elliptical trainer...and it felt good, not horrendously awful as it used to! This must mean that I am making progress!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 17:03

Went today after having had a terrific day. Did 30 minutes-10.25 miles on the bike. Also did 30 minutes/2.05 miles on the elliptical trainer. Feels good!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 17:19

Today-3rd day in a row...ooh, I'm sore. Well, did 30 minutes/2.15 mile on the elliptical. Then I did 15 minutes-5 miles on the bike. Today was not the best day I've had in a while, so working out helped.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 16:01

Time to get with the program. I joined the gym today. Let's see: exercise today
25 minutes on the elliptical trainer,
45 minute brisk walk.
Exhausted? Very much so...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 09:25

So, yesterday I met with one of the trainers at the gym...today I woke up quite sore. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer thingy, and then he had me do 150 crunches...ouch, followed by starting some very basic lifting, a little bit of bench pressing, only 15 pounds, but for someone who hasn't done any of that ever, I'm definitely feeling it...
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 18:56

Ugh...I lifted weights yesterday and it's been a while. And I'm feeling it today. Oy veh. Ah well, I'll be alright, just do it more and the soreness will eventually go away, right?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 19:00
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena_c
So, yesterday I met with one of the trainers at the gym...today I woke up quite sore. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer thingy, and then he had me do 150 crunches...ouch, followed by starting some very basic lifting, a little bit of bench pressing, only 15 pounds, but for someone who hasn't done any of that ever, I'm definitely feeling it...

Doesn't matter - "heavy" means "heavy, for you".

Good for you!

Oh, and a little tip: do your weights first. Especially since you're low-carbing - you want as much of your blood sugar available for the lifting as possible.

I know, I know, they always tell you to do them after you're warmed up, but you'll actually burn more fat the other way around, and you'll warm up fine just by doing the weights. I always do them this way, myself. And I haven't hurt myself by not being "warmed up" yet. Really!

Consider telling your trainer you'd like to try it the other way around.

Good luck!

- Built
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 08:00

Thanks Built, I'll definitely give that a whirl, see how it works. I get the impression that you know what you're talking about, and since I'm gym-illiterate, I could use any advice anyone has!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 17:22
Registered Member

BF:

My guess is you'll NEVER want to go back. Besides, focus on your lifting. It pays dividends in terms of fat-burning for DAYS after you lift. Cardio only burns it while you're doing it. Do 'em both, but weights first, and you'll get the best of BOTH worlds.

You know how they always tell you it takes, like, 20-40 minutes of doing cardio before you start burning fat? Well, why waste your time just burning it off - USE it to build muscle.

Way more effective, IMHO. Easier, too. I'm pretty lazy - I don't LIKE to do things that make me have to work too hard.

- Built
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 18:18

Yep, I lifted first. Did back and shoulder routines...soreness is coming. Did it for 40 minutes...I really liked doing it that way, too. Not too bad at all. I did 30 minutes of cardio afterwards. Elliptical trainer, again.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 18:21
Registered Member

BF:

Sounds POIFECT!

Good job!

Oh, and don't be afraid to skip the post-lifting cardio entirely. You might find you like it better on alternate days. I know I do.

Fiddle with it, alternate different versions. Your body can get bored with you if you don't give it these little shocks from time to time.

- Built
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 15:36

Today I focused on legs...then I did a full hour of cardio. 10.5 miles on the stationary bike(30 minutes) and 30 minutes on the elliptical. Ugh. I'm tired...is it naptime yet.