Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/258.5/160
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Muscle Spasms?

OK, it could just be coincidental - but I've been on Atkins a little over two weeks and have been doing well. But the past two days, I have been experiencing annoying and somewhat painful muscle spasms in my right calf.... could this be from low carbing? Anyone else have similar experiences? Or should I just chalk it up to bad shoes? Thanks for your input -
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 12:31

Stats: 220/176/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Oh it's very common. For me I ended up needing extra potassium an extra calicum/magnesium supplement. Everyone is different thoguh and some just need the extra cal/mag each day.

If I don't take mine, I will be rudely awoken by screaming pains in both my calves running into the arch of my foot. It's killer but easily remedied by taking supplements.

Hope that helps!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 12:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Exclamation muscle spasms ....

... are a sign of not enough Calcium. 1,000mg per day is the minimum for adults (men and women both) and 1,200mg for women over age 50.

Calcium is usually combined with magnesium in a 2:1 ratio. This is a good idea, since many of us don't get enough mag. either. Generally, you'll find Cal-Mag supplements with 333gm Cal, and 167mg Mag. Take 3 pills per day, divided ... I suggest taking the third pill at bedtime .... it'll help yer sleep

Look for a supplement that is citrate-based, or mixed base of citrate, maleate, gluconate, carbonate, etc .... and not just carbonate alone. Calcium carbonate is usually made from ground-up oyster shells, which is poorly absorbed in the gut.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-01, 14:13
Registered Member

Stats: 270/258.5/160
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Thanks!

Thanks so much to the both of you for the excellent information; I will make sure to get the right supplements. There is so much to learn about this WOE... I'm so glad I found this forum. (And happy that I don't have to toss the shoes!)