Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Subway signs licensing deal with Atkins"

Subway signs licensing deal with Atkins

By Bruce Horovitz, USA Today

December 27, 2003

link to article

Subway -- the sandwich chain that brought the world the Jared Fogle diet -- has become the latest fast-food chain to embrace the Atkins diet.

Subway announced plans Friday to sell two Atkins-Friendly Wraps at all 16,500 Subway stores nationwide starting Monday. The wraps are made from special wheat and soy grains that are high in fiber and protein, but carry one-third the carbohydrates as Subway's conventional 6-inch subs.

Consumers will pay about 50 cents more for them than regular Subway sandwiches.

Behind it all is a nation of heavy consumers who want to eat hearty but still lose weight as did Fogle -- the now-famous Indianapolis resident who lost 245 pounds on a strict diet of Subway sandwiches and diet soda.

The popularity of the Atkins diet appears to be near its zenith, and is potentially threatened by new concerns about mad cow disease in the United States. Nearly one in four Americans has at least tried the Atkins diet, which encourages consumption of meats, vegetables and some fruits but discourages carbohydrate-laden bread, pasta and cereals.

"Next, we'll have Slim-Fast shakes at Dairy Queen," joked Janet Lowder, president of Restaurant Management Services, a consulting firm. "Any restaurant that doesn't offer alternatives isn't paying attention," said Lowder.

Last week, Hardee's and Carl's Jr. announced new bunless burgers wrapped in lettuce to meet Atkins dieters' needs. Last month, Blimpie Subs & Salads launched a menu of low-carb products in its 20 Indianapolis-area stores, one of just four markets nationwide to test the concept -- joining Long Island, N.Y., Connecticut and New Jersey. Blimpie plans to offer its low-carb menu in all 1,700 stores by March 2004, according to the Blimpie Web site.

Other Indianapolis-area sub shops such as Jimmy John's also offer limited low-carb items.

For Subway, the deal is a strategic move to protect its franchise of better-for-you fast food.

Not only has the popularity of the low-fat, low-calorie Jared Fogle diet begun to fade, but same-store sales at Subway have dipped about 2 percent over the past year even as rivals such as McDonald's and Wendy's are enjoying double-digit sales gains.

For Atkins, the move is a major public relations coup as the company continues to reach out to strike licensing deals with some of the most familiar names in foods. A partnership with T.G.I. Friday's was announced earlier this month. And several others deals are said to be under negotiation.

Subway also has plans to introduce in April an entree salad line with three Atkins-friendly salad dressings.

"We're making the changes to stay on top of consumer trends," says Fred DeLuca, president and founder of Subway. He said he thinks the Atkins tie-in could boost sales by up to 10 percent over the next year.

Early ads for the new Atkins tie-in will not feature Fogle, but yet-to-be-created ads will feature the famous dieter, DeLuca says.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 16:06
sr5

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

It's great to have so many low carb choices if you like to eat out. I live in a small town and we now have a Low Carb store and several restaurants have low carb menus...one even has low carb (expensive) mixed drinks.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 20:35
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Nearly one in four Americans has at least tried the Atkins diet, which encourages consumption of meats, vegetables and some fruits but discourages carbohydrate-laden bread, pasta and cereals.

WOW!!! Someone in the media GETS IT!!

(cries tears of joy)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 23:07
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default From the Subway Website

http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/index.aspx

SUBWAY® Restaurant News

On December 29, Subway Restaurants will offer two Atkins® Nutritionals, Inc.-endorsed low-carbohydrate wraps: the Turkey and Bacon Melt Wrap, with Monterey cheddar cheese, and the Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap, with Swiss cheese. Both Atkins® -Friendly Wraps, available in the U.S. and Canada, have 11 grams Net Carbs or less, and the wrap itself, which is made with wheat gluten, cornstarch, oat, sesame flour and soy protein, has only 5 grams Net Carbs. Subway Restaurants is proud to be the first quick serve restaurant to partner with Atkins® Nutritionals Inc. The partnership will benefit the millions of people who have chosen to manage their weight and overall health by following the Atkins Nutritional Approach™.

#5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 09:34
Registered Member

BF:

I'll get the Chicken Bacon wrap for lunch today, and report the results here.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:04
Registered Member

Stats: 212/175/159 Male 66 inches
BF:33/23/14
Progress: 70%

Just got back from Subway . Sitting at my desk eating the turkey wrap. Not a bad sandwich. Definitely a nice option to have.
They asked if I wanted chipotle sauce on my wrap and I declined. Don't know if that sauce was included in the 11 carbs advertised or not. If so, my sandwich came in a little less. I don't know the carb count for chipotle sauce.

Johnie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:08
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I had the Chicken Bacon Wrap with Mayo, Green Peppers, Onions, and cheese. Not bad, although it could have been a little bigger. I still like getting the grilled chicken salad with mayo, cheese,green peppers, and onions. That seems like I'm getting a little more for my money.

It is definately a nice option for a sandwich-type of food.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 12:00
Registered Member

BF:

Yum - just finished the chicken/bacon wrap. It looked like 3-4 ounces of sliced chicken breast, cheese, and 2 slices of bacon. I had mine with ranch dressing, lettuce, black olives, and jalapeno peppers.

The wrap itself is thin but sturdy - they packed a lot on it before they warmed it. It is quite different from the "La Tortilla" tortillas - it had no trace at all of that nasty soy aftertaste that ruins so many low-carb substitute products.

The white cheese is pre-shredded rather than the standard triangles they use on their sandwiches. The jalapenoes were quite mild - I would've enjoyed a bit more heat.

I'd gotten so sick of their salads that I never wanted to see another one of them. I'll be back for more of these wraps.

I do agree that it was a bit too small - luckily, I've got some peanuts and some Atkin's Crunchers handy.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 13:13
Contributing Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 167/167/145 Female 5 foot 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had a turkey bacon wrap today. I loved it! Hubby likes to eat at subway, now I will be able to eat there too.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 13:59

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

If they'd sell Atkins crunchers, it would be very convenient. I agree with Gotbeer that Subway's salads are subpar at best.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 16:44

Stats: 259/240.5/200
BF:
Progress: 31%
Smile Where do I buy those tasty WRAPS!

I tried both wraps today for lunch and LOVED them! The Chicken one is a little better than the Turkey version in my opinion, but that's totally a personal preference. My wife loved the turkey so go figure.

My questions is this: WHAT TORTILLAS ARE THEY USING??? I loved them! They don't have the gross chemically flavor that La Tortilla Factory ones do. They were also a little doughy and didn't rip at all. I really want to buy some of the wraps and put my own fixings in them at home! I know La Tortilla Factory tortillas have 3 carbs vs. Subway's 5 carbs, but it's SO worth it when you consider the difference in flavor and texture!

Neither the subway.com nor the atkins.com websites say who makes the Subway tortilla wraps nor if we can buy them separately somewhere.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 17:13

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Logline,

We have been buying Mama Lupe tortillas, which are much, much better than the Lar Tortilla brand in my opinion -- and less expensive, too. They have 3NC each, and can be purchased at Wal-Mart. I made Quesadillas with them the other day, and they toasted up nearly to the same consistency as a true flour tortilla.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 06:45

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
The popularity of the Atkins diet appears to be near its zenith, and is potentially threatened by new concerns about mad cow disease in the United States.

And this statement is based on ???? The last article I read talked about how popular the "diet" is and how mad cow seemed to be having NO impact. I want to "reporters" and "journalists" who make these kinds of statements and don't back them up!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 12:45

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I just tried the new Subway Atkins Wraps. I tried both...

...in the name of research! They were both good, though not very large. The wrap was tasty. The value for the $$ is fine. In my market (Chicago) they are $3.99 each.

I can't say that I expect to "crave" either of these, but it's nice to know I can run across the street from my office and get one if I neglect carrying my lunch to work.

Also, they outta carry Atkins Crunchers as a side. And don't forget that these are not for those on Induction.

Donald
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:10

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hmmm...I tried the chicken bacon wrap and I thought it was great. BUT, one difference is the cheese. They used the regular processed sliced cheese on mine. No grated cheese in sight. Could just be the outlet I went to. I thought the wrap was fine and I liked how it didn't drip or tear, right to the last bite. I wouldn't go out of my way to have one but being a busy mom of 3 (with 3 jobs and volunteer work, too!) I like knowing that when I'm out running a million errands or going from one job to another, I can have something on-the-go. I had a Subway salad once and it wasn't very satisfying at all. Iceburg lettuce and not that big.

I agree about the Crunchers, too. Never thought of it, but it would be great to have a side with the wrap.

I noticed on the signs it said they weren't suitable for Induction. Hope Inductees notice that!!

Nicole