Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Question for women...

I was wondering if any of you have noticed a pattern of weightloss in relation to your monthly cycle. I've just noticed that I lose weight really well the two weeks after TOM, then I ovulate and practically no weight loss until TOM arrives again. I ovulated one week ago, and since then have just been going up and down the same pound. The same thing happened to me last month. I was wondering if this is a common cycle and if I should just accept it, or if there is something I can do to help it.

I have not changed the way I eat or exercise, so I don't think that is causing the issue.

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Bonnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 10:27
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

I've been seeing the same exact cycle, except that on the day I ovulate I seem to REALLY bloat up and I can gain as much as 3 pounds, but I'm back to normal within a day or two.

Jeannie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 10:32

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

I also seem to lose well in the 2 weeks of TOM and after, then start carrying fluid again in a buildup until it comes again. Steady loss though - no gain.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 11:12

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Before this woe I would drop a pound or two when TOM began, only to go up three or four the following month. With the LC woe I found that the weight came off as TOM ended and that the following week was the easiest to lose in. Now I'm on maintenance and I tend to go up (146 today) a few days before TOM and drop back to 144 after.

No more sore, swollen breasts either. I sure don't miss those.

Hope everyone is having Happy Holidays!
Barb
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 150/145/110 Female 4'11"
BF:29%/29%/22%
Progress: 13%

I don't seem to see any substantial change in my weight at all during or after TOM. However I do seem to be more hungry during TOM. Anyone else have this issue or do you think it may be more of a mental thing for me?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 11:18

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It's a metabolism thing. Studies have found that women actually do burn more calories right before TOM.
So it's not in your head.
The problem is, you burn like 300 more calories, but you EAT like 3,000! (Just kidding. But this study did find that women ate more than what they were burning.)
I handle it by eating very low carb things, like some extra bacon and eggs, or a steak, or a big salad. I stay away from treats, and as long as my hunger is satisfied, I don't think of treats.
Some people make low carb treats, and find that satisfies them.
You have to find out what works for you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 11:44

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%

I have the same proble. I way at goal for 2 weeks out of the month then I am up about 3 pounds the rest of the month. I guess you just get used to it. Don't worry.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 11:52

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I never weigh myself during TOM unless I want to get depressed. I never lose weight at that time and I usually begin gaining a week before it starts. I am not sure when i ovulate.

Black57
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 12:00
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Here's a weird one, I lose during the first 3-4 days of TOM, then I gain 1-2 pounds a couple days after it ends. I plateau for a week and then I start losing again after that. I certainly have an odd cycle, lol.

melissa
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Me and scales don't get along. They say one thing, and I feel another. But i'm with the majority of you. I bloat up, body getting ready to prepare for reproduction, then when no egg gets fertilized, i go into TOM and the bloatedness disappears.
But i have this little problem with scales. the one at the grocery store says i've hardly lost any weight, and the one at the doc's office says i've lost 20.
So.... I just figure I don't need scales, my clothes are getting baggier, and that's okay with me.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 12:24

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't noticed either way because I've only been back on since the day I started TOM this month. I'll have to see next week! In the past, tho, I just don't weigh myself that week, assuming I'll have retained water.

BUT, for me, I think the craving for sweets, etc, seems to be psychological. If I don't pay attention to when TOM is due, I have no cravings at all! OTOH, I have mood swings and when I analyze why, I realize TOM is due in the next day or two.

Any changes in mood swings--less or more--for anybody since starting LC??
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 12:52

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

so here's another weird one, I have been LCing since 5/27/03 and have done well on the weight loss. My TOM has been normal until the last two, very light, a real period but not nearly as heavy as normal. AND I had spotting for the first time ever and I am on the pill. Anyone else spot several months after starting this woe? It didn't happen the first six TOMs, but just started now....
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 13:04

Stats: 256/246.4/171 Female 1.76cm/5.9
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default just as you...

The day my TOM starts is the day I shall jump into the scale if I want to cheer myself up... because then is when I start losing weight... for about 10 days or so, the rest of the month I sort of hit plateau, actually I just lose an actual pound or so but my weight goes up and down (mostly 2 pounds up 2 down) and then again... TOM arrives.

Anwyay, I have also noticed that although during almost 3 weeks my weight remains the same, my body composition keeps going down. Meaning that even if I don't show weight loss on my scale, my measurements decrease. That's what helps me to keep on track, to find that anyhow there's loss.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 13:13
Registered Member

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 150/145/110 Female 4'11"
BF:29%/29%/22%
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley1
Anyone else spot several months after starting this woe? It didn't happen the first six TOMs, but just started now....

Ashley,

I just started atkins 2 months ago. I am also on the pill, but noticed that I spot now. I too wonder if this is related to my change in diet.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 17:10

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

Some people have said that estrogen is stored in fat and when you lose fat more estrogen is released, makes sense for the spotting BUT my question remains why would it start so late, after losing 34 lbs, and not sooner in the weight loss process?