Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 08:02
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default ThickenThin conversion

I tried making a lemon meringe pie over the weekend, substituting Splenda for the sugar and ThickenThin for the cornstarch to thicken the filling. Problem is, I didn't know the conversion of cornstarch (it called for 1/3 cup) to ThickenThin, so I was totally guessing. It turned out way too thin, and now all the filling has run out of the pie and has to be spooned back on to every slice!

Does anyone know how much ThickenThin to use for a certain measure of cornstarch?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 08:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179.5/160 Male 70"
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 41%

This site says that 1 tablespoon ThickenThin is equilvient to 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch. 1/3 Cup is 5.3 tablespoons. So maybe 2-3 tablespoons of ThickenThin for the recipe? I don't really know myself, just trying out my math skills

Last edited by sonnofa : Tue, Dec-16-03 at 08:15.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 08:15
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Directions: Use ThickenThin not/Starch thickener like cornstarch. However, a teaspoon thickens a bit more than one teaspoon of cornstarch, and one tablespoon of not/Starch thickens more like 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 08:23

Plan: my own
Stats: 240/232/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Mmmmmmmmm lemon meringe pie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 08:29
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

Ok...I used about two Tablespoons, but that wasn't enough. Next time I'll use four, and see how that goes.

The meringe turned out great, though, and the crust is suprisingly edible. I used MiniCarb pie crust mix, and it got a little soggy on the bottom from the runny filling (had the consistency of stale bread, actually). But the part that didn't touch the filling crisped up nicely...I'll probably buy this again when my carb counts are high enough to enjoy low-carb pie regularly.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 09:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

With the minicarb pie crust things I found were

Only use for 1 shell pies such as the lemon, pecan, french silk and so on. You can use it for double crust, but the top one turns out really dry and has that soy thing wher eit saps your mouth of moisture. The filling soaks into the bottom one though making it really good.

Be careful not to pack when measuring. Each mix is suposed to give 3 pie crusts. I leveld off the cup like I would when making pies with flour. It compresed it an dI only got enough for 2 crusts. measure the powder loosely
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 10:44
Diet Cokeaholic

BF:

Yeah, I noticed that about the measuring. I took my cup out and thought "there's no way there's enough in here for two more pies!"

It was pretty decent though. Maybe by next season, I'll be close enough to goal weight to be able to enjoy a fresh blueberry pie. With vanilla CarbSmart ice cream. I like my fruit pies topped with crumbs made from sugar, butter and a little flour...wonder if I can duplicate that with Splenda and Atkins Bake Mix or ThickenThin?