Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 15:39

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Thinking about CAD, but afraid...

I've been back on Atkins almost a month now, and have no weight loss to show for it. I did have a cheat around thanksgiving, but that was a week ago and that weight should be gone now. I'm actually half a pound heavier than my start weight.

I do feel horribly deprived especially as AS make me break out and I haven't had any LC desserts. It's just so depressing, especially when I try so hard and am so "good" only to have no results to show for it.

I'm afraid to try CAD though, because -- if everyone says CAD is slower weight loss than Atkins, what's the point? I'm not losing at *all* on Atkins...what can CAD do for me?

I'm really desperate, because I have to wear a strapless, fitted gown in my friend's wedding this April, and I haven't worn something like that in years. Plus there are going to be a ton of photographs, and I've always hated having my picture taken because I was overweight. And my ex-boyfriend is going to be in the wedding party as well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 16:24

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

It's slow, but fairly steady. If you're not losing on Atkins anyway, why not give it a try. Try to shake off the "what's the use" attitude and give it a whirl. You won't feel deprived as you can plan on food you really love once a day. It is very freeing emotionally and the pounds do come off. April is a ways off and plenty of time to see a difference AND enjoy some holiday goodies on the way!

Come on...we'll help!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 19:50

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Yup!

I'll help too

The way I see it, you have nothing to lose since Atkins isn't going very well. If you gave in over Thanksgiving because you were craving carbs, well.. CAD would have dealt with that and it can deal with any future carb cravings you have too.

If you really learn what foods are allowed at CMs and stick to it, and strive for some balance at your RM, you should see results. You have to be aware of the differences between the two programs, like snacking and allowed veggies, and different protein types.

Some people have a gain when they first switch, but those seem to often be the ones who have that "kid in the candy store syndrome". If you can curb that and just have a nice carb treat with dinner, you might not experience that.

I think CAD is the best of both worlds
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 00:51

BF:

I guess I don't have anything to lose by doing CAD...I'm only losing my mind on Atkins. My measurements *might* be a little smaller in the waist area, but nowhere else, and for all I know I'm just pulling the tape measure tighter than before

Even if I managed somehow to convince myself to keep going with Atkins, I don't seem to be the type who can bounce back from a "cheat" and I *know* I'll be eating carbs over Christmas at my sister's wedding, like the cake for example, and some champagne. So perhaps I'd be better off just going on CAD right now so that I can plan for holiday parties and even have some eggnog ^_^

Today was bad, though. My depression got the better of me, and I went out alone for my birthday dinner, and ate an unbalanced RM. Which would have been okay, except I then went and got some candy corn (my secret weakness) and krispy kreme. So I went over my hour limit.

Anyway, tomorrow is a new day. I think I've gotten the "candy store" syndrome stuff out of the way now. I bought some fruit and ice cream to have on hand for RM.

Thanks for the advice and the help
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 06:55

Stats: 146/146/120 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sango,

You and I are basically in the same boat. I had a lot of trouble with Atkins. It made me feel so deprived, even with all the low-carb goodies that are out there now, that I would binge on sugar or starches, and then once that happened, I could never get back on track. Or if I did regain my discipline, the weight just wouldn't come off. I am a true carb addict. I even see it when I don't eat a balanced RM. (I wonder, if you had eaten a balanced RM yesterday, if you still would have wanted the donuts and candy corn (personal faves of mine, too LOL).) Anyway, the idea is to NOT deprive yourself of the things you love, like eggnog and champagne and cake on those special occasions, but also to eat with respect for your body. It helps me to remember that I'm doing my entire system a real favor if I keep my RM balanced. Also, because I've had a rocky start with CAD and also fight depression, I haven't been weighing myself. It works against me, no matter how you slice it. I put away the scale. I go by how my clothes are fitting me, and by how I *feel*. But the BIGGEST trick is this: if I miss out on something I wanted at an RM meal, I just remind myself that in 24 hours, I can have it.

I'm trying really hard to get back into the swing of things with CAD, so I'm here every day reading the boards. I'll be watching for your updates, and urging you on as you go. I think it's completely possible for you to be exactly where you want to be come April, and all without feeling deprived.

Love, Shelby
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 10:08

Plan: CALP
Stats: 220/210/140 Female 63 INCHES
BF:WEIGH TOO MUCH
Progress: 13%

Hi Sango:
I too am an ex-ATKINSer, I did manage to loose 8 lbs in three weeks, but was feeling really deprived, went off it for a Christmas party, then tried weight watchers for a week, which meant eating carbs (bread/pasta/rice/cereal). I found I was always hungry on ww and could never seem to eat enough. So now I am thinking of starting CAD. So lets both hang in there and give it a try,

By the way I love your beagle, I have one as well, his name is Boomer and he loves to bark when I take him on his walks. What is your beagle's name? Aren't they just the sweetest dogs ever?
Good luck with CAD

Bustergirl
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 11:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction now CAD
Stats: 198/175/175 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sango,

For me switching to CAD was really good for my head. I had tried a bunch of special products and recipes and thought they were terrible. I think the key to CAD is feeling good enough not to cheat. Instead of cheating I make sure I have some great dessert all ready for my RM. I mean a good dessert! Not some little something just to get you by, but something you could roll in if you need to! I can easily eat the right things and not cheat at all knowing I've got this coming.

Larry
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 13:54

BF:

Shelby: I don't think that there is anything that could have kept me away from the dougnuts and candy corn, LOL. It was much more a mental craving than physical. I was tired of depriving myself. I would have done ice cream instead, but the place was closed.

Anyway, I just had my first CM and I think it went well I've been thinking about ditching the scale, but at the same time...I really want to "see" my progress. If it starts becoming a stumbling block though, I will get rid of it. I think that CAD is something I can live with in the long run...

I sure hope that I can be exactly where I want come April. Wow, what a dream

BUSTERGIRL: Thanks! Her name is Cricket, and she's my baby. I mean, she's so spoiled. I love her to death She's tiny, only about 14 lbs. She just turned 4.

LarryAZ: My mental health was one of the main reasons for the switch, too. You're right, it should be easy to resist temptation when I know I can have a really good dessert at RM. I bought some eggnog ice cream last night, and some apples. I also work at a really nice restaurant so I can bring some nice desserts home

Last edited by Sango : Fri, Dec-05-03 at 13:55.