Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 09:41

Plan: blended Atkins/B4L/CKD
Stats: 148/145/140 Male 68in
BF:17/14/10
Progress: 38%
Default Dextose and maltodextrin

Hi Gang...

from other post on the board I was able to find Rockets and Dextose at the Bulk Barn here in Toronto. However I just want to check to make sure of one thing, Bulk Barn calls dextrose "Corn Sugar" - I think this is correct and infact corn sugar really is dextrose... can someone please confirm this for me?

...also is 1 tsp of dextose (5g) worth 5g of carbs? How about the calories counts for this?

...I am having a hard time finding maltodextrin in Toronto, Bulk Barn did not have it. Can someone from the Toronto area tell me a store/location they found maltodextrin at, also does anyone have the nutritional values for maltodextrin?

...and finally is it advisable to mix the 2 or should I stick to one or the other?

I'm a bit nervous to start TKD but I've done all my research, I'm prepared and the above will certainly help me out greatly.

Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: TKD
Stats: 195/185/210
BF:
Progress: -67%

Dextrose is corn sugar. 5g of dextrose is aproximately 5g of carbs. (I think the ratio is something like 94 g carbs per 100 g powder.) For maltodextrin, try a brewing supply store. You can mix them 50/50 or go all one or the other - I don't think that's a big issue if you're only consuming them immediately around your workouts.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 18:00
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 235/212/200 Male 73 in
BF:estimated 18%
Progress: 66%

You would probably be best off with plain dextrose, no malodextrin. The point is to quickly spike insulin after the workout, then to return to eating fat, so it's best to have a quick spike (simple sugars) as opposed to slower release (complex carbs).
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 18:27
Registered Member

Plan: TKD
Stats: 195/185/210
BF:
Progress: -67%

Maltodextrin is a glucose polymer, and ingested in liquid form. There was research done in 1988 comparing insulin response to glucose and glucose polymers. There is no difference in insulin response between dextrose and maltodextrin (or glucose and any glucose polymer) so far as I know. If you are aware of other studies, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Don't be misled by the whole simple/complex carb concept. A potato is a complex carb, fructose is a simple carb, but a potato will produce a greater insulin response than an equivalent amount of fructose.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 235/212/200 Male 73 in
BF:estimated 18%
Progress: 66%

Would not dextrose be digested quicker than malodextrin though?