Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 20:59

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%
Default Just ate a big bowl of Redi Whip

HI,

Anyone else do the same for dessert sometimes? I noticed on the can the 2 tbs was <1 gram. So I guess that isn't that much so I have a bowl of it occasionally. YUMMY. I find I don't gain from it. Anyone else indulge?

Kat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 21:00

Plan: my own
Stats: 286/168/- Male 5'7
BF:almost.
Progress: 121%

I had some today ontop of sugar free jello
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 22:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

How many tablespoons are there in "a big bowl"? Depending on the size of the bowl, that could make it a rather huge number of carbs.

Redi-Whip that I know (in a pressurized tin) has sugar in several forms including corn syrup.

Why not get some heavy or whipping cream (about 35% Butter Fat) and whip it up with some Splenda or artificial sweetener? Fewer carbs, no preservatives - I think it's much better tasting than the tinned stuff too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:18

Stats: 145/142/130 Female 69
BF:23
Progress:

Since I am OWL, every once in a blue moon I will have a spoonful of peanut butter. It totally curbs my need for chocolate and it just tastes so good! I think 2 Tablespoons have 7 carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:33

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I agree with Tofi. Forget the Redi Whip and make your own. It's not only cheaper, you won't get all of the preservatives and propellants. It takes less than 3 minutes to turn heavy cream or whipping cream into WHIPPED cream - the real thing. I like the taste better and it's better for you. I wouldn't do that Cool Whip either. Too darned many chemicals.

shortstuff
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:41
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Have you ever measured 2 T of Redi-Whip? It's an insanely small amount. If I ate an entire bowl full, or even a few squirts in my mouth, I'm sure I'd consume way too many carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 08:26

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Canned whipped cream is our favorite condiment. Reddi Whip is not my first choice. Some of the store brands actually show as 0 carbs (which is the same as less than 1 carb but makes me feel better) and taste better. We do love the chocolate Redi Whip. Buy it when it's on sale and eat it like a pudding with a little coconut on top.

Lots of people make their own whipped cream but the problem for me is the making part. Homemade whipped cream also has carbs and probably more that my canned stuff because there is so much less air in it, look at the difference in denseness (unless you but an aeresol thingy but I have too many kitchen things to fit in my small kitchen now). Canned whipped cream is so much easier. I use it several times most days. Would be a real pain to be making whipped cream and cleaning up the beaters and bowl several times a day.

Sometimes I think people make this woe too difficult and that could lead to frustration in the long run. I try to avoid Frankenfoods - limited bars, no shakes but I can't give up my canned whipped cream!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 09:05

Plan: modified atkins/general lc
Stats: 183/156/145 Female 5'2
BF:43%/31%/22%
Progress: 71%

Amen, fitznoski!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 09:25

Stats: 317/270/185 Male 5'10.5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

If you want to have whipped cream I agree with tofi, RediWhip is made with sugar, you should make it yourself. But it doesn't have to be that hard. You should get yourself a whipped cream dispenser. They are sold all over the Internet. I have had good luck buying cream charges at creamright.com , or just do a google search for whipped cream charges. They also sell dispensers, though I've never used them for that.

They cost about $40 for the dispenser and about $10-12 for a box of 24 charges. Each charge makes one pint of cream. It's great because you can drop a pint of heavy cream in the dispenser with some Splenda. I sometimes put other flavors in it too. You can leave it in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks and take small hits without having to drag out the mixer.

I use it with SF Jello and peanut butter too.

-Jim
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 12:49

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Yes, homemade whipped cream has carbs, too. The difference is you measure the cream before you whip it and even though it is more dense if you measure out 2T of cream then whip it you end up with a whole lot more that 2T of whipped cream. It's really not hard to make ahead if you're going to use it several times a day. I just don't want the sugars and chemicals you find in the ready-made stuff.

Also, if you think about it, when you have to make it if you think of it as a chore you're going to be using a whole lot less of it so you can use your carbs for veggies, nuts, berries, etc.

Look at the ingredients on a can of Redi-Whip, I think you're in for a very rude awakening. It's not natural stuff and one of the things Dr. Atkins emphasized was whole, natural foods. Real cream is a whole natural food.

I'm not trying to be rude or pushy because you're going to do whatever you want to do, but the real stuff is my choice.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 13:04
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I have only had whipped cream out of a can a couple of times since starting this WOE. I made home made and was suprised at how easy it was with the heavy whipping cream and splenda. I mixed it with smuckers natural peanut butter and sprinkled some unsweet cocoa powder on it and it tasted like a whipped reeses cup, was so good. I also like that it was so rich I couldnt eat very much, how is that for portion control!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 18:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
also like that it was so rich I couldnt eat very much, how is that for portion control!!

I have the opposite problem. If I have any whipped cream I suddenly crave more like mad, regardless of how full I am. I also stall like mad. It's one of those things I absolutely love, but know I can't have.

When I first started OWL I discovered a dessert with whipped cream, riccotta cheese, and fruit. Ohhhh yum. That and Atkins fast dessert with whipped cream, coconut and a splash or rum, mmmmmmm...

Ok I better stop. I just had dinner and I'm making myself have cravings here.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 04:09
Registered Member

Stats: 194/157/123 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 52%

I love Redi Whip! I put half & half in some good coffee & a little Splenda, then cover the top with RW & sprinkle with cinnamon! some carbs yes, but I used to eat a king size snickers bar every day! haven't had one of those in at least a year, and don't miss them! Honestly!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 12:56

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I'm planning to have whipped cream (homemade) tonight (Thanksgiving) for the first time in 6 months. I'm impressed that some people can eat it regularly and keep losing weight.