Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 10:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/168/135 Female 5' feet  7
BF:??
Progress: 33%
Default culinary school

Hi Karen -

I started low carbing in October and have lost about ten pounds so far, yipee. I cook a lot and it has been interesting to figure out how to modify recipes for low carbing. I am writing to ask if you have an opinion of the New England Culinary School, where I am going to school next month. Thanks

By the way I really liked your web site, MFK Fisher is a favorite of mine too.

Sharon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 01:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
By the way I really liked your web site, MFK Fisher is a favorite of mine too.
Kewl, Sharon!

I've heard good things about the school and it's pretty well established. The school I think is the best is the CIA in NY state, but it's mucho $$$.

School is where you get a good foundation, but there's no substitute for actual on the job training. It's good that the school has outlets so you'll get a taste of what it's like. If you've got passion, patience and don't take things personally, you have what it takes to succeed in the business.

Where do you want your career to take you?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:46
Registered Member

My god, I hope it isn't more expensive than NECI, which is just about killing me

I have always had great passion about food and have spent years doing other things professionally (except for a couple of years catering and cooking for a ski club). At 39, going to NECI is following a lifelong dream. I figure a solid culinary education will allow me to do the things I want to do. I expect to put in five to ten years in a variety of restaurants (my ultimate restaurant would be "world cuisine with a huge emphasis on using local fresh ingrediants), I hope to write about food much of that time too.

I love the unifying nature of food, I think its fascinating to take a simple thing, like meat pies, for example and to look at them (and taste them) across a variety of cultures, the empanada of Spain, the pasty of Cornwall, the runza of Poland, the crispy meat pies served by the Chinese, the pork pies of New England....Lots of similarities, lots of differences, fascinating.

By the way have your read MFK Fisher's "Sister Age"? Funny but that was her first book I ever read...without knowing what a complete food person she was. Her writing is brilliant.

I am nervous about school but mostly just excited

sharon
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 10:06
Forum Founder

BF:

I've read Sister Age but as I recall, it was the last MFK Fisher book I read.

It sounds like you have the passion to succeed. Just don't get frustrated by being amongst all the young 'uns at school. I'm amazed at how the work ethic has shifted since I started working. I wonder what's going to become of these people since they seem so unmotivated, and most of the time, clueless!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 18:39
Registered Member

actually I am hoping that is what will set me apart , work ethic, more work ethic, and more work ethic, that and the ability to say "yes chef" and hopefully life experience. I'm reading "A History of Food" by Fernandez - Armesto, which is fascinating if a little daunting...I mean really...if you start thinking about how long this whole food thing has been central (forever) its a wonder you don't just stand there and seize up under the weight of it all Oh well, it is what I love and pursuing that can only be a good thing.

It looks like you have some unique experience. Didn't I read something about you and japanese cooking? I have been pretty intriqued by indian food lately, wow what flavor. What got you going in the beginning?

Sharon
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 01:48
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Didn't I read something about you and japanese cooking?
The owners of the first restaurant I worked in were Japanese. They had opened a small cafe in Ottawa that became really popular. I applied for a job doing anything because I had no skills other than cooking. They asked me if I could bake - which I could - and they hired me. I think I was employee #4. So, I started off baking carrot cakes, cheesecakes and quiches - all the standbys of the late '70's - on a four burner, pink electric stove in the basement. The only tools I had were a whisk, a knife, spoons and spatulas. They eventually bought me a blender and then later, a small mixer. I worked my way into making all the soups and specials. When I look back, I'm amazed at what I produced with what I had.

Anyway, because of them I developed a fascination for Japanese food and finally got to go there last year as part of a Canadian food promotion. It was a dream come true! The two basement stores of department stores are all food. One floor is prepared food and the other raw ingredients. There were pickle stores, tofu stores, noodle stores, tea shops...and one store that was more like a vegetable museum than a store. The vegetables were laid out on granite slabs with sheets of water running under them to keep them cool. Although I was half-deranged most of the time from carb consumption, it was wonderful. I would love to go back. This year I went to Beijing on another Canadian food promotion but it's not a place I would like to visit again.

I've always had a passion for food and cooking. It was the first thing I remember being interested in and as soon I was taught to cook, I never stopped.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sat, Nov-22-03 at 01:52.