Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 08:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/175.0/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default You know how Dr. A says to weight on Day 1 and then

Day 15 of Induction? Well, I weighed on Day 8 too (down 5.5 lbs), but then got TOM the middle of this week (today is Day 15)...how long should I wait to weigh so I can be sure all the TOM water weight is gone? Is it all gone on your last day of your pd. or does it take a couple days even after that??

I mean...I was hoping to be able to compare what I lost on Induction to the table in the book to see what my metabolic weight loss resistance (or whatever he calls it) was, but I know if I weigh today, it's not going to show any loss from week 1 (and will probably not show any loss at all from when I first started).

Just wondering...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 09:14

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Lisa!

If you started out with 39 pounds to lose and had already lost 5.5 on day 8 of induction, trust me...you're not metabolically reisistant; that's already more than 10% of what you wanted to lose which is about the average weight loss during induction, so you're already ahead of average.
As for how long it takes for TOM water retention to go away, that varies from person to person. With me, I typically get my water retention after TOM is done (wierd, I know, but that's my body) and don't lose it for up to a week after. Other people lose their water retention almost as soon as TOM starts and still others take 3-4 days afterwards to get rid of it. What is the typical pattern for your body?
Personally, I'd weigh now and then again in 3-4 days to see if it goes down more and go with that.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 10:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/175.0/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks, Lisa! I weighed this morning, and I'm up to 186...I'm going to assume that's water though and weigh again maybe Monday or Tuesday.

Have a nice Saturday!

(nice name, btw) :-)
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 160/157/130 Female 5'1''
BF:
Progress: 10%

I am on day 2 of induction, after a long hiatus. Any way, I was thinking of weighing tomorrrow. Should I? I will use the strip to see how I'm doing. I am going all the way this time.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 16:09
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Hi all for what its worth I'm like Lisa N water weight comes on after TOM and hangs around for 4 or 5 days. I totally don't freak out so I weight in just to see how much water I can gain. its usualy at least 2 pounds.

Gabrielle
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 01:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi, Lisa! I'm an odd water-weight person, too. I don't get it during TOM, it seems, but when I ovulate!

I tend to weigh frequently (don't think I did this morning, though can't recall for sure) and one of the reasons I do is because then I know when I'm gaining water weight. That way later on as I will tend not to weigh as often, if I see an increase I can say, 'Hey, it's the Chinese food I had last night' or 'Oh yeah! It's that time of the month again!' without throwing myself into a complete frenzy.

I also like to weigh every day because if I've lost something the scales will register, I want to know about it right now, not 3 days down the road!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 160/157/130 Female 5'1''
BF:
Progress: 10%

Lisa in TX: I know you are right. But ......Anyway, I did weigh this morning; the same. Didn't feel bad because my strip showed pink.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 21:57

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

me too when I Ovulate not during TOM... I lose the most weight each month right before and during TOM!