Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 17:03

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Frustrated - set point???

I have reached a weight I was at for more years than not and have "bounced" around with the same three pounds for about a month. I know this is not technically a stall because I have gone from 173 to 170 in the last month but the weight seems to come off/ go back on, come off/go back on...

Anyone else come to weight where the body has been "comfortable" in the past and had this experience? I was losing so well and I know this is only mental, but I need to see what you guys have experienced and how did you stay motivated?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 17:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ashley (hi, thats my dtr's name too)

in the book "Secret to low carb success" which is a great book; here is the link to amazon to check it out.
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...2649611-3476341

Anyway one of the things she found was that people on this WOE often sat around at a wt that they were previously at for a long period of time. this seem to be natural and eventually things got going again... So I guess hang in there and know that you will get by this. You are nearly at the end but also according to her research it will appear to slow considerably as you get nearer your goal wt. She also suggests that rather than looking at the number of pounds you have been loosing say per month or wk you need to figure out the %. If you do you will find that your wt is the same although the # of pounds seems less you are actually loosing the same percentage.

for example if you loss 5 # and wt 200 that would be a 2.5% loss. if you wt 150 2.5% loss would be 3.75. Does that make sense; you are still loosing 2.5% but the number of pounds is different.

Hope that helps and if you get a chance grab the book it's a great easy read.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 17:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hi Ashley:
I think I'm in a similar spot as you. After losing about 35 lbs pretty easily, I've hit a weight that I was at for about 10 years, plus or minus about 5 lbs. I've been losing and gaining the same 4-5 lbs. over and over again for almost two months.

I am not worried about it, though, because I no what the problem is: I've been cheating too much. I feel like that's my whole problem.

Please understand that I'm not accusing you of cheating. But maybe there's something else going on. Have you been tracking your fat, protein and calories at all?

Let's break out of this stall together!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 17:36

BF:

Thanks for you replies - the only thing I did - and inadvertantly so - I ate a green bean casserole at a potluck that I found out had sugar in it a 1/2 cup for the whole casserole! I had only about a 1/3 of a cup of it because I didn't like it (must've been the sugar!) Anyway, I haven't cheated really. I am still drinking two or three times per week - but have done that the whole time and only mich ultra or wine and very rarely a vodka martini...

I know I need to be patient. My body is very comfortable between 170-175 as for the majority of the last ten years that is where I have been. I weighed over 200 one other time and lost it - very unhealthily - but gradually, one pound per mont, put it all back on!

This is a great board and everyone is supportive.

Let's break the stall! (I know it doesn't ACTUALLY count as a stall) but feels like one to me!

Thanks also for the percentage thought - I will definitely keep that in mind.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 17:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Ashley....do you exercise? Some exercise with weights will tone your body and if you succeed in building some muscle, that will in turn burn more while your body is at rest. I was stuck and once I started weight training (only 10-12 mins every morning) and some walking at lunch, it really jumpstarted my weight loss. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 18:09

BF:

verniebird - I did exercise all summer, but I fell off the wagon, so to speak, at Labor Day and have not gotten back on. I have promised myself that I will get back to it after the first of the year. I will too! I just have a lot going on between now and New Years. I KNOW that will help me and is probably the reason for this ministall. I drink at least 96 oz of water a day (not as much on the weekends, but I do pretty well)

Thanks for the advice!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 18:15

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I'm in the same boat, I'm at 145-150, which is where I was at for many years. However, I am more than a size smaller, which is great.
I can be here for a while, so I'm not worried. I haven't changed the way I'm eating and I love it, so I'll just enjoy the energy, the clear skin, all that stuff and see what happens.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 18:34

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am at a point I was for several years (17 years ago). I am just bouncing from 198 to 200 daily. I just keeping reminding myself that once I break through, I should drop quickly to the next point -180. I was at that weight for a shorter time and I find I fall throught those weights faster.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 19:01

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Exercise and lower calories (look to drop one thing you eat a day, and no cheating!) worked for me. And after a few weeks of that.. whoosh! Never looked back after that month at the same weight.

brobin