Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/208/199 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default time 'o month and cheated

This question probably more for the ladies on the site (men usually get a bit squeeeeemish)

I've been almost 3 weeks on Induction on Atkins and went thru Hallowe'en with no problem at all...feeling really good too!
The last couple of days I've been craving carbs - anything sugar,chocolate, and even milk...but I kept it away. Now today my period is upon me and flowing hard and crampy - that has not been usual for me in the last 6 moths or so (I'm 45). Unfortunatly, I didn't get rid of my left over Oh Henry mini bars yet and I've had a bunch of them today - like a crazy person that couldn't stop.
first question is - does the low carb have an effect [or is it affect - I never get that right] on your menstural cycle?
next question is - how do other women work with the time'o month cravings?
last question is - What have I done now to my body by having the mini bars [about 15 of them], and have I ruined the Induction now...I mean in the way that the Ketosis works? How long till I'll be back in the swing of Ketotis?

God...I hate myself!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 17:16

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Don't hate yourself! First off, I'd say that lots of women who belong to this forum have cheated with chocolate during their time of the month, myself included!
Don't beat yourself up over it. What you did isn't good, however, it's not life ending (or even diet-ending!)! If it kicked you out of ketosis, I believe that carbs stay in the body approximately 48 hours (varies from person to person), so you should be back in ketosis in a couple of days.
I'm not sure if LC'ing makes us crave chocolate and sweets even more during our TOM or not. I always craved these things during that time, long before I ever started LC'ing. What I do now is (if I'm craving really, really bad) buy a sugar free, low carb chocolate bar, like Russell Stover's or the various brands of LC stuff sold in grocery stores. They totally satisfy my cravings, and while some people say sugar alcohols found in this candy isn't good for you, I say they're not as bad as eating real chocolate. If you're still in induction, though, you should probably avoid the LC stuff...at least until you move into OWL...
Tomorrow's a new day...actually, every second of every day is a new opportunity to start anew...so just put your mistake in the past and commit yourself to not doing it again.
Best of luck.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 18:57
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have heard many women complain of their cycles being off or heavier while lc-ing. Something to do with the way estrogen is stored in fat and while in ketosis larger amounts are released. The good thing is though, in most cases, over time the symptoms subside and your body will equalize itself again.

As for getting back into ketosis, most bodies can only store enough glucose for 2-3 days, once past that you should enter into ketosis again.
Welcome to the forum and good luck to you!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 19:02

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi there! We all mess up once in a while, but this WOE doesn't seem to be totally unforgiving, so make sure you forgive yourself! Just jump back on the wagon and you'll be fine.

Russell Stover has the most scrumptious SF dark chocolate in the world! I can guarantee two or three of those will absolutely cure any chocolate craving you may get.

Sometimes LCing does affect TOM, and sometimes it can make the cramping and stuff worse. One thing I've found in the past that helps with cramping is to get enough exercise.

If you increase your magnesium intake, that generally helps with the chocolate cravings during/before TOM.

Now, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back on that horse and ride! Oh, and if you have any of those candies left, just take them outside, open up the package, drop them in the dirt and stomp on them, then put them in the trash.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 19:20

Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hi,

Chocolate itself is not that high in carbs. So if I really have to have some I melt some unsweetened bakers chocolate, mix with some whipping cream, splenda and nuts or unsweetened coconut. Or mix Splenda, cream cheese & unsweetened coconut & dip in melted bakers chocolate, whipping cream & splenda then put in the freezer for a few minutes. This cures my cravings and I know I haven't cheated. This is better for me than the store bought sugar free because I don't tollerate some of the sugar alcohols very well.

Another way I get my chocolate fix is cocoa, cream, water & Splenda. Good old fashioned hot chocolate. The no name cocoa I get has .7 g carbs per tsp.

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 19:29

Stats: 163/159/130 Female 5'7"
BF:YIKES!
Progress: 12%

Kertrats...I thought it was just me.

I started today too and have had evil cramps and I told the kids to hide their chocolate..of course now they wave it under my nose...(the brats).

I actually went to the health food store where they have the Atkins chewy bar and took ONE bite of it....wrapped up the rest and put it in the freezer....I wanted to swallow it whole though!!!

Don't lose faith!

and yes...tomorrow is another day.....

Nicole
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 07:18

Stats: 227/227/200 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:Soft and Squishy
Progress: 0%

Hi there!

Funny enough I have NEVER been a sweets person. Always crunchy and salty stuff was my downfall!

I have been LCing for about two months and all of a sudden I started to have mad sugar cravings. Great advice from those who posted above....

Someone on the forum also mentioned taking Chromium and L-Glycine(?) to stop sugar cravings. Amazing! Don't even think about the stuff.

I have had my own little ups and downs and I think sometimes I do a little "self sabotage". I have never completed a weight loss plan successfully and I sometimes feel that I will fail at this as well so I do dumb things. I am learning, though. I don't have to slide ALL the way down the hill. I can have a mini binge and then move on....

Hope this helps!

K
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 13:59

Stats: 177/165/135 Female 5foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

[/FONT][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=6][COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Georgia]
I agree with the hard times of the month!! Has anyone tried the Atkins Indulge bars? They are unbeleivable! I am convinced I'm eating a snickers bar when I have one and they only have 2 NET carbs. Also Carbolite has some chocolate bars that are unbeleivable! Candy too, some with 0 NET carbs!! This has been my saviour on this plan!!
Suni