Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 07:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/184/135 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default ammonia smell during excercise?

I've been doing atkins since july with limited success. I just started excercising again and noticed after walking a couple of miles, my sweat smells like ammonia. This happened to me before, and someone on a website told me it was because I was burning muscle because I had no carb stores. Can this be correct? Can burning protein cause this ammonia like smell? I don't want to be losing muscle and I thought I was eating enough protein so that wouldnt be a problem. Anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 07:56
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The ammonia smell is from the ketones you're burning — in other words, you're in ketosis and your body is excreting the waste from the fat it's burning! This is a good thing. For me, the ammonia smell shows up in the toilet and in my breath, but sweat is another way to flush toxins out of the body. If the smell bothers you, try drinking more water. It will dilute the ketones so the smell should be less strong.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 09:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/184/135 Female 5ft 2in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks Hilary. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing muscle, since I've heard that can also cause the ammonia smell while excercising. That's good to know!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 09:46
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

As long as you're doing Atkins properly, you should never be losing muscle mass. Especially if you're exercising! Think of the ammonia scent as an encouraging sign, albeit a little annoying.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 10:02

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

I have a question about that explaination. Shouldn't this ammonia smell in the urine, breath or sweat be from the proteins from the diet (not the muscles in an Atkins diet consumer) being broken down? Ammonia is a nitrogen based compound like proteins. fats and the fat by products we shed as acetone, and ketones are carbon based. Ketobreath is very different from ammonia in smell as is ketone laced urine.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 19:32

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

Hmmm, I heard ammonia meant you were burning muscle mass ie protein not fat!! But I cant be sure.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 19:36

Plan: Atkins-CKD
Stats: 175/158.9/130 Female 5'2
BF:??/29.6/19
Progress: 36%

#8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 20:31

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

someone in another post from months ago said it was because our bodies are burning a different fuel then before...fat! I was concerned in the begining, now when I smell it...I know it's working.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 21:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179.5/160 Male 70"
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 41%

Thanks for the links senimoni. The first one is very informative.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 14:43
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

I just ran across this thread while searching for something else and funnily enough just last week I had been having some strange tastes and smells while exersiing - here's the page from my journal

Quote: (koko)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
have also been having a strange taste in my mouth - I remember reading at another exercise link (I think it was Dr. Hussmans fitness page) something about "smelling amonia" well I don't exactly smell it but get a very slight taste of something - since smell and taste are so closely related I think this is what he was talking about (I'll have to go back and find out what it means )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Hussman says that if you smell ammonia, have a carb and protein snack right away instead of waiting. Another site recommends that you eat a carby snack before workouts if you are prone to the ammonia smell. You also need to make sure you are drinking enough water. I usually end up drinking 1.5-2 liters when I do HIIT. Here's a link you may find helpful. ammonia
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 14:46
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I get the taste in my mouth as well, but it is more of a metalic taste... I was worried about it at first, but with the explanation of "keto-breath" I live with it (just chew huge amounts of gum). That is another sign you are in ketosis.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 15:27
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/BFL
Stats: 246/215/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Ammonia is not good:

"Ammonia is essentially nitrogen, and that sensation after a workout is a signal that you've raised your cortisol levels enough to trigger the breakdown of amino acids by the liver (gluconeogenesis). When the body needs energy, it metabolizes glycogen, then fat, then protein. If one isn't fast enough, it goes down the list. But if it's going to feed on protein, you want it to go after something other than muscle tissue. So if you smell ammonia, you should have a protein and carbohydrate containing supplement immediately after your workout, preferably along with a protein stimulating supplement such as L-Leucine (whey protein is about 20-25% Leucine)."

(emphasis in original)

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 17:20
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Thanks CWC

I've been to Dr. Hussmans great site and since then have been having my whey and yogurt right after my weights instead of waiting till after my cardio - but since then I've changed my routine to not doing weights and cardio on the same day - do you think the carbs in 1/2 cup of yogurt are enough (9 carbs 1/2 cup non-fat yogurt) 2 carbs 1 serving whey powder = 11 carbs immediately after weights.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/BFL
Stats: 246/215/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Like everything, I think you need to just try it out and see how your body responds. I down between 25-50g of carbs right after a workout, depending on the intensity.