Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/133/125 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress:
Question Low energy

Hello again,

I have a question: What do people do for low energy? I have found that being on Atkins has made my energy level drop. I am a lot calmer which is a good thing thanks to the lack of sugar but I don't want to be this calm!
I don't drink caffeine (never have) and I do try to take short quick walks on breaks at work.
Any suggestions?
Has anybody else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 16:31

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Are you getting all the food you should be? I know that helps my energy levels a lot.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 16:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you're still having low energy a month into low carb, a few things to look at are: Are you eating enough food? Are you drinking enough water? Are you taking a good all purpose multivitamin? Do you need to supplement with extra potassium and or calcium/magnesium? Feelings of fatigue can be caused by any one of those or a combination of them. It's normal to feel a little tired and out of sorts for the first few weeks on induction, but if you're still feeling out of sorts for weeks after that, something is out of balance.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 16:43
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

That could be it...my usual day is:
Breakfast: two eggs and two slices bacon

Lunch: either salad with romaine lettuce and turkey or chicken or greek salad (cucumber, olives, tomato, and feta cheese plus some deli turkey)

snake: cheese and maybe some celery

Dinner: Chunk of salmon, or steak, or ground beef with small salad and most likely some gouda (i read on the nutrtion panel that there are no carbs in it)

desert: cream and s-f jello
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 19:59
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I went through the same thing my first week doing Atkins. Your body is losing weight very quickly and it can be hard for it to keep up with energy.

I agree with the same things everyone else has had - make sure you are eating enough carbs (shoot for 20, not way below that). Make SURE you are taking vitamins, and do not, I repeat do not, ever go hungry. It's ok to eat anytime that you are... just eat things off of the approved list and it will be ok.

You should start feeling better soon!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 03:50

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Sunshine80, I am having a similar experience; now in my 9th week. It's not being 'out of sorts', it's just best described as calmness, like I won't get an adrenaline rush unless someone is trying to kill me.

I sleep a lot, and would rather sit around and read than do extra workouts. I put in no overtime at work, just race home when I am done.

I think my heart rate is real low, working out or resting. Moderate amounts of caffeine seem to have no effect.

It could be an effect of ketones. When I reach 'moderate', I really like to lay around, even when the clock tells me I should make supper. Or it could be that with my heart getting its preferred fuel and with clear arteries, it doesn't have to work hard at all.

I work out 3x per week, usually eat over 2000 kcal, get about 100 g carbs, 15 Zone protein blocks (over 100g), and eat a ton of raw veggies and healthy oils. I was taking a multivitamin and electrolytes, but stopped about ten days ago.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 22:45

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Honestly, I find that when I skip or forget my potassium supplements, I am exhausted the next day. When I take my potassium, I am a different person. I especially try to take potassium in the evening after dinner. I take 2 to 3 tablets daily.

Black57
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 10:40
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Maybe I should try out some supplements...I am just taking a multivitamin with added iron.
Is anyone else adding any extras?
I'm gonna try out the potassium...thanks for the suggestion.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 10:47

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

Personally speaking I have never felt the energy rush others speak of. Of course like others I do lead a busy life, working full time, mother of 3, large home to take care of, and of course activities for kids, etc.

I am ALWAYS TIRED!....I think I am generally sleep deprived as my life is quite hectic....would love to take a week off just to veg around the house and catch up on my rest. I also find it hard to get motivated to do things around the house or work out as I feel "draggy" much of the time.

I do take a super multi-vitamin, along with chromium, co-enzyme Q10, potassium, calcium, EFA, CLA and 5-HTP...I am otherwise healthy!

Froufy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Plan
Stats: 247/200/140 Female 5"4
BF:Decreasing Slowing
Progress: 44%

I've yet to get the 'energy burst' every1 else talks about, I just think I'm a natually tired person, was before I began, and still am. My energy levels are pretty much the same as they were before I started Atkins.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 14:14

Stats: 198/170/145 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Overall, I feel great, but I do have muscle fatigue. When I walk up stairs I feel it the worst. I tried drinking more to make sure I'm dehydrated but that didn't make a difference. I take vitamins and do what Atkins suggests to combat the fatigue, but I still have it.

I will take fatigue in exchange for the weight loss I have made, though.

Lisa
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 18:13

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I am still tired...but it is slowly getting better.....since I started seeing my Naturopath....she has me on an iron supplement (Floradix) and thyroid support herbs and homepathics.

That could be a possible cause for you, since you mentioned the sugar cravings....my dr told me a sluggish thryroid can do just that....as well as fatigue.

Do you find you get hot and cold spells? Try checking your basal body temperature at various times throughout the day.....if your average is under 98 degrees....thyroid could be a culprit.

I hope your feeling better soon!
Natascha
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 19:59
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

If your thyroid test is normal. Then add some B complex. I take 3 tabs a day plus add the b12.
Make sure all vits are sugar free and cornstarch free.
Take this in addition to your other vits.