Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Has anyone had problems with sleep patterns on Atkins?

Okay, here's the thing. Sometimes it's hard for me to get to sleep, and other times it's hard to wake up. Here is an example.

Yesterday I tried to get to sleep at 3 am (bad bad) and didn't actually fall asleep till 6:30 :O. I woke myself up at noon, but I didn't feel as bad as I would have normally under such little sleep.
That following night I had no problems getting to sleep (duh ), passed out within ten minutes at 1 am, but I woke up at 6:00am! Oddly, I felt pretty awake when I woke up, but I went back to sleep again only to wake up at 8:00 am again (and go back to sleep), and finally, I awoke at 11:00. Oddly, waking up at 11:00 has made me feel even more tired than I had at 6. 10 hours of sleep and I'm still tired .

This is like what used to happen to me during induction, problems falling and maintaining sleep. Although I have always had problems with sleep, they are different and interfere with my life much more on Atkins. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/147/125 Female 5'3''
BF:28
Progress: 31%

oddly i have same problem.. so much energy and sleep at 1 am and wake up at 6:30 but i can't go back and dose off once i'm awaken.

whats more weird is that i seem to remember most of my dreams on an the atkins diet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 10:03

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I've always had trouble falling asleep but I have noticed that because I feel so energetic I have more trouble now. I suggest you try buying Melatonin. I took Melatonin even before this WOE. You can find it in most drug stores with the vitamins / health and diet aids.

Dr. A recommends it in DANDR (page 308 in my book). I take one 3 mg tablet about 20 minutes before going to bed. It makes a noticable difference.

One warning though: If you aren't going to get a full night's sleep don't take the Melatonin. I find that if I get less than 7 or 8 hours sleep after taking it, I feel worse.

Julie

Last edited by JulieL : Fri, Oct-17-03 at 10:06.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 10:12
Splenda Flavored

Stats: 275/247/190 Male 5' 11 1/2
BF:more than I need
Progress: 33%

talk about once awke.....I usually go to bed ~ 9:00~9:30 and get up ~ 5:30 to be ~ work by 6:00 and after a few days on this diet iv'e been sleeping later 10:00~11:00 and getting up earlier 5:00 or so. And this morning I was awaken by one of my neighbors many gf's at 3:30 in the morning, and I couldn't get back to sleep and the wifey didn't wanna wake up =(...;p

But yea, I've been experiencing lots more energy and lovin it
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:02

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
whats more weird is that i seem to remember most of my dreams on an the atkins diet.

OOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I've remembered my dreams a few nights in a row lately and I was wondering why!

So in addition to needing less sleep, weight loss, and no more mood swings, you get the inflight movie as well!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 15:26

Plan: Lower Carb/glycemic foods
Stats: 179.5/163.5/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I've always had sleep problems because I suffer from depression, but since starting atkins, I too remember MORE dreams (always remembered most) and wake up at wierd intervals. I have a hard time sleeping more than four hours straight. I never attributed it to the diet though. You gave me something to think about.

Kristi
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 15:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

I used to go to bed around 1 a.m. and wake up around 9:30 a.m.
Now I get tired around 11:30 p.m., wake up at 4:30 a.m., lie there for an hour staring at the cieling, finally fall back to sleep and wake up at 7 a.m.
V weird.

Dang, I never remember my dreams - still don't - but really want to.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 16:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

hmmm are you sure this is because atkins?