Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 10:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/167/155 Male 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Not losing weight on Atkins Diet

I've been on the Atkins Diet for more than a month now and I haven't lost any weight. I started at 180lb and this morning I weighted in at 179.5. I've haven't cheated or gone over the 20 carb per day limit. I've been eatting plenty of veggies and fats. I drink atleast ten 8 oz glasses of water a day if not more. I've tried cutting out cheese and other food items that might make me stall but it hasn't helped. The only thing that has changed is I've lost two inches off my waist. This is a good thing, but if I am losing fat how come my weight doesn't go down. I don't exercise very much so it can't be muscle building unless you can just gain muscle from eatting alot of protein. Does anyone have any suggestions or why I am not losing weight?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 11:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/140 Female 67 in
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 21%

No suggestion-I can only commiserate with you!

I TOO have been on Atkins for 4+ weeks and lost ZERO! I followed it strictly, never cheated, stuck to 20carbs, followed suggestion and STILL no loss. I feel your frustration and wonder WHAT THE HECK ARE WE DOING WRONG?? I wonder if theres a bread of us out there that are somehow atkins-resistant?? LOL!

If you figure out what the secret is could you pass it on?? I will to you or sure!!

Good luck to BOTH of us!! L
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 12:06

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by James00
The only thing that has changed is I've lost two inches off my waist. This is a good thing, but if I am losing fat how come my weight doesn't go down. I don't exercise very much so it can't be muscle building unless you can just gain muscle from eatting alot of protein. Does anyone have any suggestions or why I am not losing weight?

If you are loosing inches, you're loosing fat. It's better to divorced ourselves from the notion that we want to loose weight. We don't, we want to loose fat and size and become lean and healthy. Weight includes everything. It's water, it's what is in your stomach or intestine; it's fat, it's muscle.
I know how discouraging the scale might be, so it's better not to rely on the scale as a measure of progress except over the long haul. A much more reliable measure is your volume and 2 inches is a lot!
It's also possible to gain muscle just by adding protein if your diet has been deficient in it. In a given week you might have lost pounds of fat, gain in muscle, retained water and the scale shows the same weight or even a gain!
Hang in there! Loosing inches means that you're doing well!
Cheers, Isiar
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 12:08

Stats: 205/205/175 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:

37 days and no lbs lost. I too have lost inches and am pleased with that (although I belive the elimination of beer 4-5 cans per day, may be the cause of that. I am still on track. I would like to "start over" but since I am still in induction I don't know what to do.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 12:14

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Maybe I can help you some, not sure.

First off, the loss of inches is just as important, and sometimes more important, than the loss of pounds on the scale.

After more than a year, and 54 pounds lost on Atkins, I have found that the body tends to lose either pounds or inches, but usually not at the same time.

My guess is that internal shifts are taking place, and that if you keep this WOE up for 3 months or more, you will lose some pounds.

Is your body fat already pretty low? Are you taking any medications that might interact with the diet?

Exercise is an important part of the low carb lifestyle, and crucial to long term health, IMO. You should look into some form of exercise that will work for you, and help to take those pounds off the scale.

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 02:16
Registered Member

Stats: 178.5/154/150 Male 170 cm
BF:22%/16%/??%
Progress: 86%

Fat Fast?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 03:40

Stats: 160/145/132 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Can only speak from my own experience.
I was on Induction for 6 weeks without much results (also no ketosis). I did the fat fast for three days and by the end of day one I started feeling more energetic etc. I really lost weight for the first time.

What works for one might not work for another though.

I am back on Induction today.

Some say that once you return to induction, you regain the weight lost on the fat fast. I'll let you know in a couple of days time what my outcome was if it will help.

Good luck.. I know how depressing it can become if the scale does not want to move...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 05:44

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by James00
I've been on the Atkins Diet for more than a month now and I haven't lost any weight. I started at 180lb and this morning I weighted in at 179.5. I've haven't cheated or gone over the 20 carb per day limit. I've been eatting plenty of veggies and fats. I drink atleast ten 8 oz glasses of water a day if not more. I've tried cutting out cheese and other food items that might make me stall but it hasn't helped. The only thing that has changed is I've lost two inches off my waist. This is a good thing, but if I am losing fat how come my weight doesn't go down. I don't exercise very much so it can't be muscle building unless you can just gain muscle from eatting alot of protein. Does anyone have any suggestions or why I am not losing weight?

Thanks

I'd say looking at your stats it is possible that your LBM increased. It can happen without going to the Gym. How active are you in your daily life ? Do you have a job which requires alot of lifting or carrying heavy boxes ? Do you walk alot ? How many inches was your waist to start with ? If it was over about 40", your Lean Mass was way too low...and your body very well could have been making more muscle to get back to a normal LBM. BTW, 2" loss at 180 pounds is a 4-5% reduction in Body Fat...which is Very Good.

Like others have said get away from that idea of weight as a measure of progress. You could let's say not lose one pound, or even gain weight during a diet...but still lose enough fat to become skinny. Likewise, you can lose lots of weight on a diet, only to become fatter [because you lost so much muscle it masked the fat gain.]
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 05:57

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%

no matter what you should have lost water weight because the supply of glycogen should be diminished by now. There are so many things that can prevent weight loss, but getting an idea of what you have been eating is as important as the water and carb count you have done. Can you post what you ususally eat?
Also, have you had your thyroid checked and are you on any medications?
Truth is going by how stuff wears on you is most important and two inches is nothing to scoff at!
My personal experience had me not losing after a month and once I used fitday and reread Atkins I realized I was eating a sauce of butter almost every day and that my calories were way too much for me to lose. In the menu section of Atkins he said that you shouldnt have a butter sauce more than once or twice max a week! I had not caught that fact on my first read! I thought since there were no carbs in it how could it hurt to have a butter sauce? That was not explained in the once sentence statement but once I cut out the butter sauce I started losing about 500 calories a day and weight on the scale!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 06:39

Stats: 193/188/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 10%

I have been on Atkins for about two months now and I have lost maybe 5 pounds. I say maybe because I fluctuate those five pounds weekly. I do get discouraged because I want to weigh less! I am still loosing though, not on the scale, but in size. I have lost 11 inches total in the past three weeks. That is a whole pants size for me and even more as my new jeans are loose. Two inches is great, dont get discouraged. You are making progress no matter what that cursed scale says. Just hang in there and give it a couple months and see how you do. Keep on measuring, I know if I hadnt measured myself I would have quit a week ago!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 07:32

Stats: 185/167/155 Male 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I want to thank everyone for their posts. I realize that losing inches are in a way better than losing pounds. I've moved from a 34" waist to a 32" waist so things are good. Pants that I was not able to even fit into are now loose. I guess we focus too much on the scale especially on diets, but the true measurement is how you feel and fit into your clothes. Who knows maybe I am gaining muscle and losing fat, I was not too sure if you can gain muscle from just protein but no exercise. I do play hockey once a week so maybe my legs are getting leaner.

I've been looking around at other diets that are similiar to Atikens and alot of them say eat lean low fat meats but with Atikens you are suppose to have 70% fats in your diet. Doesn't it make sense if you eat less fat then your body will burn more stored fat rather then the consumed fat.

I am going to stick with Atikens and see how things go from here on in.

Thanks