Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 07:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/341/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default How long did you wait....

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]until you weighed yourself? I am on my third day of inducation and I was just curious as to how long everyone waited to weigh themselves. Since I started on Monday, I was thinking of weighing myself on Saturday.[/FONT]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 07:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kathy! It depends - if you think it's going to frustrate you if the weight doesn't come off rapidly, wait a while. Once a week is probably average. You could wait until the two weeks is up, just to keep yourself in suspense.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Who says you need to weigh at all? Get out a pair of pants that dont fit at all. Every now and then pull them on and see how you are shrinking. Take measurements. We dont have to live or die by the scale
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 08:05
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Smile

My name is Terry and I am a scales junkie.... I weighed myself on the fourth day and was thrilled with what I saw. I weigh myself everyday, Not a good idea according to most people, but it works for me... As long as I don't let it rule my emotions, which hasn't been a problem for me yet.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 09:45
Registered Member

Stats: 233/226.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I'm a scale junkie too - I weigh every day, but don't worry too much about it (helps that I have a body fat scale - so when I gain it usually changes my body fat, which I know is a hydration issue). I think if you can hold out - more power to you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 10:32

Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Now that you've gotten the first few days out of the way, I think you should weigh every morning. There is a lot of motivation to be gained in the first week for someone who has a lot of weight to lose. If you stick to the plan, chances are very good that you will see a significant drop in the first week or so. Sure, much of it will be water weight, but it can still be a powerful source of motivation. Don't be discouraged if the scale doesn't move every day -- it won't -- but use those days when it does move to motivate you to continue. Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 13:12
Registered Member

Stats: 165/131/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%

I too am a scale junkie. I weigh every day, and sometimes more than once (I like to keep track of how my weight changes during the day - there have been times when I have "gained" 5 pounds in one day!!) I don't let little rises and dips bother me at all though - if they're going to bother you, my "weigh-every-time-you-go-into-the-bathroom" method is probably not for you
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 14:38

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I, too, am a scales junkie. I just like getting on in the morning to see if I've managed to lose any more, and if there's not a noticeable difference one day that doesn't mean I didn't lose, just that I won't see it for another day or two. (These aging eyes have a really hard time seeing those little lines between the numbers. )

Even so, the scales aren't necessarily the true indicator.